DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speed error Air2s

LeftN

Reactions
Guys,
Please see my message sent to DJI support and please help me understand what happened to my Air2s and behaved like I describe below:

"On Saturday, the 10th of September, my clients booked me to do drone photo and video for their corporate party on a boat.
- At around 13:00 Cyprus time, while the boat was parked at the port, I flew the drone around, up and very close to the boat and all were normal. Drone responded to all commands.
- An hour or so after the boat departed, it made a stop. I flew the drone around, up and very close to the boat and all were normal. I landed the drone and after a while I flew again, made photos, videos, and the drone hovered, and responded to all commands.
- An hour or so later, the boat made a 2nd stop. It was approximately between 17:08-17:18 Cyprus time. The drone initially started flying normally and responded to the first instructions. Ensuring all was ok, we invited the guests of the corporate party on the deck to capture video with the drone. AT THAT MOMENT THE INCIDENT OCCURED AND I HEREBY provide all details as far and as clear as I can remember:
The drone started flying like crazy. Out of control. It was not responding to any of the instructions. Not only out of control, but also very fast. From normal mode I switched to cine mode but the maneuvers continued fast without slowing down. The drone was flying away the opposite direction, and I was trying to pull it back, and then again it was going forward fast and I was trying to bring it back. At a moment it slowed down and tried to land it. When it was close to deck, it went little up again, and fast in forward direction into the cabin, almost hit the captain, then flew out of the cabin again, gained little more weight and then I decided to crash it on the top of the cabin. I stopped the propellers after the crash by using the 2 on the joystic (pulling inwards) and on the dji fly app, I received note that the drone crashed. CAN YOU CONFIRM THAT YOU CAN VERIFY THIS CRASH ON THE DATE AND TIME I AM REFERRING? I picked the drone in my hands and switched it off. The next day, it performed perfect. So, why happened what happened on the boat? What caused the drone to fly like that, out of control and without responding? This is what we need to find out.
You must understand that it was like out of a horror movie. People below and children were afraid and running away in an effort to avoid getting hit by the drone".

your probably going to want to post log data for any analysis...

PhantomHelp should have all the directions you need.

You should post your logs for inspection.

I think that the problem might be a VPS error, this is just a guess. If it was hovering low enough over water, then that might happen. I had drift issues before with my Air 2 when hovering low over water. More details about it here.

So many details missing.
Where was you takeoff location for each of the flights? Where was you planned landing spot for each of the flights.
How many satellites for each flight?
When and where was home point updated for each flight?
What compass errors existed for each flight?
Did you confirm that the aircraft was corrected oriented on the compass screen?
Also, flying over a boat filled with people is extremely high risk. Flying over or nearly over people should be avoided always. Keep well away from crowds.

So many details missing.
Where was you takeoff location for each of the flights? Where was you planned landing spot for each of the flights.
How many satellites for each flight?
When and where was home point updated for each flight?
What compass errors existed for each flight?
Did you confirm that the aircraft was corrected oriented on the compass screen?
Also, flying over a boat filled with people is extremely high risk. Flying over or nearly over people should be avoided always. Keep well away from crowds.
Hello, thank you for the reply. I have uploaded the log data. For the crash and before the crash, to see how the drone was behaving. Appreciate all your help.

Crash

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Before the crash

DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

Upload and view DJI Phantom, Mavic, and Spark flight logs online
@Meta4 may take a look and help you
Hello, thank you for the reply. I have uploaded the log data. For the crash and before the crash, to see how the drone was behaving. Appreciate all your help.

Crash

Before the crash

I think that the problem might be a VPS error, this is just a guess. If it was hovering low enough over water, then that might happen. I had drift issues before with my Air 2 when hovering low over water. More details about it here.
Hey, I have read and my experience was pretty much similar to yours. I have uploaded the logs. thank you

The drone started flying like crazy. Out of control. It was not responding to any of the instructions. Not only out of control, but also very fast.

Did you launch the drone from the boat?
Do you remember what direction the drone was point towards at launch time?
Was it facing west .... straight toward the shore?

This incident had nothing at all to do with VPS.
Hovering low over water can't possibly cause anything like this incident.

Did you launch the drone from the boat?
Do you remember what direction the drone was point towards at launch time?
Was it facing west .... straight toward the shore?
At launch time it was facing towards the shore. Then, I turned 180 degrees to film the boat. I launched from the boat.

At launch time it was facing towards the shore. Then, I turned 180 degrees to film the boat. I launched from the boat.
The flight data shows the drone heading of 285° at launch time and at 22.5 seconds that suddenly snaps to 230° without any rudder joystick input.

This looks like a yaw error, probably caused by launching from an area of magnetic interference.

Can you describe the spot you launched from.

Hovering low over water can't possibly cause anything like this incident.
I also thought so until it happened to me.
Hovering low over water can cause yaw error, but it goes away when you go higher than VPS can reach. Magnetic interferance yaw errors don't go away when you fly higher.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S