DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speed in GPS mode seems slow

Ed209

Reactions
Just took the maiden flight...It was a night flight and I quickly learned that there is a setting to automatically turn red lights off (I guess it senses night)...Whew thought I had a defective unit.

However, I noticed that I was only getting around 20mph in all directions. Winds were 5-10mph at the time but I flew in multiple directions so I know it wasn't because I was going against the wind. In sport mode it went almost 50 with the wind at my back. Is everyone else getting 20mph? I'm a little disappointed in that GPS mode speed as all of my other Phantoms do at least 32mph in GPS. Some faster running older F/W.

I get the same. Fastest I've seen in gps is 22. Usually 18-20. I thoight it was limited due to the range of the vision sensors.

Reactions: kmaluo
Are you saying that disabling the vision sensors might help?

That I don't know. You'd have to try it out and see.

Will try it out tomorrow morning... if anyone else has any answers I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Found the answer... I forgot about this when reading earlier in the week.
OjUGj5B.jpg

Yeah I figured but I skipped the P4 so never had that. I also noticed I was blind and didn't pay attention to the verbiage right in front of my face in the Visual Navigations Settings menu. It says it right there lol. I guess I was excited to get out.

If it performs like the P4, you'll find that 32-33 mph is the best speed for optimal battery life and maximum flight distance in P mode, even though it will easily reach 36+ mph in P mode with full throttle. If you use full throttle in P mode, unlike a P3P, flight time will be drastically reduced. On the P3P, full throttle in P mode gets you max flight time and distance. Sport mode is the worst on battery life and flight time on the P4, and likely the Mavic, too. Mine is still waiting to be manufactured in China! :(

Gadget! Good to see you here BTW. I think there is nothing to compare. For starters, the surface area is totally different. Power, motors, props, firmware...everything! I have a lot of experimenting to do (like we did with the P3's). But I'm sure you're right about sport mode...It's only natural for the extra power to drain faster. Did you get your mavic yet? I'm looking at a battery mod already lol.

Gadget! Good to see you here BTW. I think there is nothing to compare. For starters, the surface area is totally different. Power, motors, props, firmware...everything! I have a lot of experimenting to do (like we did with the P3's). But I'm sure you're right about sport mode...It's only natural for the extra power to drain faster. Did you get your mavic yet? I'm looking at a battery mod already lol.
Thanks! Likewise! I have one on order at both Best Buy and B&H. I'll be lucky to see either one by December! I fear the Mavic is pretty much maxed out, as shipped, in terms of the battery life. At half the weight of a P4 and P3P, it doesn't have a lot of extra weight carrying capacity to support externals. No place to put them either. They would interfere with the sensors underneath, or make the aitcraft top heavy, if mounted above. Mavic is a great complement to a P3P or P4 long range flyer, for close-in flying, where you can even stuff it inside your golfbag during a round for spontaneous aerials! Looking forward to getting my hands on mine! :cool:

Yeah that's my initial feeling too about limited capacity and options but I have some ideas that could be very feasible. For starters don't need to worry about the bottom sensors interfering if you have them disabled. I have some home made batteries I could slap on and get 3500mAh for 160g weight. Amperage is much lower than P3/P4 so many options [emoji106]. But the big question is how strong are the motors and will the ESCs burn up? I'm just brainstorming and not ready to open her up yet. I purchased it for the exact reason you said. I'll leave the P3's for the heavy lifting.

Hope you get yours soon!

Yeah that's my initial feeling too about limited capacity and options but I have some ideas that could be very feasible. For starters don't need to worry about the bottom sensors interfering if you have them disabled. I have some home made batteries I could slap on and get 3500mAh for 160g weight. Amperage is much lower than P3/P4 so many options [emoji106]. But the big question is how strong are the motors and will the ESCs burn up? I'm just brainstorming and not ready to open her up yet. I purchased it for the exact reason you said. I'll leave the P3's for the heavy lifting.

Hope you get yours soon!
I like your thinking! The control range can probably be helped beyond 4 miles with just windsurfers, but with a rated maximum 8 mile flight distance total out of the existing battery, that leaves no time for lingering to shoot on even a 4 mile away destination. Most of my P3P/P4 flights with battery mods are 10-12 miles total. The narrower Mavic FOV and portrait mode will make for very detailed spherical panoramas! Mavic will always be with me in the car, while the P4's 6 mile control range can cover over 100 square miles, flying just from home! Keep me posted on your Mavic battery mod progress! P4’s near daily flights are keeping me busy during the long wait for my Mavics.

Mine reads 30mph regularly while not in sport mode...I think the speed reading is suspect though. this vid also suggests 60mph in sport mode but I think the reading is wrong, so does the YouTuber.

Mine reads 30mph regularly while not in sport mode...I think the speed reading is suspect though. this vid also suggests 60mph in sport mode but I think the reading is wrong, so does the YouTuber.
Saw that video...the 58mph pass looks legit. I was flying 40mph today and could definitely vouch and say 40 was legit and his pass looks a lot faster.

So...why does the manual say GPS mode is limited to 22mph when mine consistently goes 30mph in that mode? Could it be that they just carried the text over from the p4 and the mavic actually does go 30 mph in non-sport mode? What speeds are other seeing? Anybody verified with a radar gun or something?

So...why does the manual say GPS mode is limited to 22mph when mine consistently goes 30mph in that mode? Could it be that they just carried the text over from the p4 and the mavic actually does go 30 mph in non-sport mode? What speeds are other seeing? Anybody verified with a radar gun or something?

Read the page from the manual I pasted into my msg above:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+