DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Speed Ramping & Choppy Video in Davinci Resolve 16 (Free Version)

apeel

Reactions
Hi Ya'll,

Two questions I hope someone can answer. I am just learning Davinci Resolve and I am impressed with the full feature set the free version offers.

Question 1) After stabilizing some DSLR , Osmo Pocket and Mavic 2 Zoom video that is shot in 1080p at 30fps, I have tried speed ramping using the Retime Speed and Retime Curve functionality, but I find that after after rendering the video it is really quite 'choppy', as if it is dropping frames during the rendering process. I am talking about rendered video so that the performance of my 2015 iMac is not a factor. I would understand that this should happen if 30fps video is slowed down, but I would have thought it is OK to speed up since there there should be plenty of frames available due to the shorter clip timeline.

Question 2: I have asked this before, but never got a response. Currently I record at 30fps, and create projects in Davinci at 30fps, but I often see and here that people use 29.97 fps instead of 30fps. As I understand it, 29.97 fps is used in the broadcast industry in the USA (and other places), but my ultimate use case is to view these as Quicktime movies (either MP4 or MOV files) on a computer screen or on a large screen (1080p) TV, using a streaming device AppleTV (similar to a Roku). Should I be creating projects and rendering videos in 29.97 or 30 fps, assuming I record on the M2Z, Osmo Pocket, and my Canon 7-D DSLR at 30 fps. What is the difference if I shoot in 30fps but then create / render projects 29.97 fps (and vis-versa). How would that impact the final video?

Any help on either / both questions would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Allan

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura