DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spherical panorama lightroom questions

MGVision

Reactions
Hi, i started to play with spherical panoramas using my mavic 2 pro.
Mavic can create sphecrical panorama very fast and very easy on its own. But i wanted to see how can it look when i use lightroom with raw files. So lightroom spherical panorama have much more details but why cant i look all the way up and down? And what this HUGE ugly barel distortion mean?
Is there any way to have details from panorama creted from lightroom and not distorted view?
I am including two panos so you can see what i mean:
Mavic created pano(normal view, i can view all the way up and down, low details) : 1 360 Panorama | 360Cities
Lightroom pano(distorted view, lack of up and down view, great details) 1 360 Panorama | 360Cities
People are creating those high res detailed panos with no distortion. How they are doing this?
Next thing is when i am using lightroom to create spherical panos very often i get message that some of the pictures cant be merged, for example 8/26 pictures were not merged. Why is that? Mavic 2 pro can merge them like no problem on its own.
I know those are probably basical qustions but hey i am a begginer and i want learn :)
Edit.It seems like lightroom is creating cilindrical phano insted of spherical which i am choosing every single time. How to fix it?

Last edited:
I'm not an expert 360 guy, but I do a lot of panos otherwise:

Hi, i started to play with spherical panoramas using my mavic 2 pro.
Mavic can create sphecrical panorama very fast and very easy on its own. But i wanted to see how can it look when i use lightroom with raw files. So lightroom spherical panorama have much more details but why cant i look all the way up and down? And what this HUGE ugly barel distortion mean?

I have several ways of making panos including Lightroom, but Lightroom is the one that I do not use. It gives you the least options for projection. I believe it's not the best tool for 360 panos, but I do not even use it for 180 panos as it does a terrible job.

The Barrel distortion is normal and you don't notice it when the images are stitched and blended with better software.

At the very least, try doing a merge in Photoshop (select all images in Lightroom, Right-click, select "Edit In", then select "Merge to Panarama in Photoshop".

Or try tools designed for panoramas, such as PTGui.

Next thing is when i am using lightroom to create spherical panos very often i get message that some of the pictures cant be merged, for example 8/26 pictures were not merged. Why is that? Mavic 2 pro can merge them like no problem on its own.

The Mavic can merge them because it knows what order it is in. It first places them in a grid (or shooting order, up and down, let and right) before stitching and blending.

Lightroom doesn't ask you the order -- it just determines what image goes next to another by analyzing content (finding unique details in two images that match them up). When you have frames that are lacking in detail (such as one that is nothing but blue-sky above, or water below), it cannot properly match it up.

Better software has two tools for that: a) grid vie

I know those are probably basical qustions but hey i am a begginer and i want learn :)
Edit.It seems like lightroom is creating cilindrical phano insted of spherical which i am choosing every single time. How to fix it?
[/QUOTE]

Reactions: MGVision
Fixing that last sentence of mine, as the editor isn't allowing edits for some reason:

"Better software has two tools for that: a) grid view, which allows you to specify the order, but then also asks you to manually input a lot of information, such as degrees of overlap; and b) it will try to stitch based on content (as Lightroom does), but when it finds frames it can't align, it will allow you to help it along (PTGui has a 'control point' editor that allows you to create your own points to match up to)."

I'm not an expert 360 guy, but I do a lot of panos otherwise:

I have several ways of making panos including Lightroom, but Lightroom is the one that I do not use. It gives you the least options for projection. I believe it's not the best tool for 360 panos, but I do not even use it for 180 panos as it does a terrible job.

The Barrel distortion is normal and you don't notice it when the images are stitched and blended with better software.

At the very least, try doing a merge in Photoshop (select all images in Lightroom, Right-click, select "Edit In", then select "Merge to Panarama in Photoshop".

Or try tools designed for panoramas, such as PTGui.

The Mavic can merge them because it knows what order it is in. It first places them in a grid (or shooting order, up and down, let and right) before stitching and blending.

Lightroom doesn't ask you the order -- it just determines what image goes next to another by analyzing content (finding unique details in two images that match them up). When you have frames that are lacking in detail (such as one that is nothing but blue-sky above, or water below), it cannot properly match it up.

Better software has two tools for that: a) grid vie

Are there any free programs for creating 360 pano? I tried hugin but something went wrong and i couldnt import my raw photos there.

Are there any free programs for creating 360 pano? I tried hugin but something went wrong and i couldnt import my raw photos there.

None that I'm aware of. You could convert all of your DNGs to TIFF and try those with hugin. That might not work if the conversion to TIFF strips out metadata that hugin requires though.

Chris

None that I'm aware of. You could convert all of your DNGs to TIFF and try those with hugin. That might not work if the conversion to TIFF strips out metadata that hugin requires though.

Chris
In hugin i have something like this:1588707357180.png
So i am assuming that i will have blank spot on the top...Why those stiched pictures are not filling whole sphere? What can i do with this? Is there any sollution?

If you look at the DJI produced 360, it has no photographed top either -- it is simply bluish gray, which was manufactured as the pano was blended and stitched (sky color sampled, G.Blur applied, etc.). You can do that for any pano -- see youtube.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll