DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Spirit Airline drone policy?

Foley909

Reactions
Question, I’m going to traveling Spirit airlines from Lagurdia to Fort Myers, and then Fort Myers to the US Virgin Islands. I’m planning on carrying on my Mavic 3, Air 2s, Nikon z6, Panasonic lumix, and all my lenses and tripod in travel camera bag. I have two batteries for the Mavic 3, three batteries for the Air 2s, three Nikon z6 batteries, and two batteries for my Lumix. Are this many lithium batteries allowed and are Lipo bags required for each or can I simply tape each of the battery terminals?

I checked Spirit policy and all that is stated is your allowed to carry on a drone (nothing about two or multiple drones) and an acceptable amount of batteries, so I’m not sure on this vague info.

Question, I’m going to traveling Spirit airlines from Lagurdia to Fort Myers, and then Fort Myers to the US Virgin Islands. I’m planning on carrying on my Mavic 3, Air 2s, Nikon z6, Panasonic lumix, and all my lenses and tripod in travel camera bag. I have two batteries for the Mavic 3, three batteries for the Air 2s, three Nikon z6 batteries, and two batteries for my Lumix. Are this many lithium batteries allowed and are Lipo bags required for each or can I simply tape each of the battery terminals?

I checked Spirit policy and all that is stated is your allowed to carry on a drone (nothing about two or multiple drones) and an acceptable amount of batteries, so I’m not sure on this vague info.
It’s fine. None of those are large batteries and it’s not all that many batteries. No need for lipo bags.

Thank you for confirming my thoughts.. I’ll simply put some tape on the drone battery terminals and put them in separate sandwich baggies to be on the safe side.

I’m just curious now if they’ll allow me to keep my tripod strapped to the travel bag.

I travel with couple drones, mulitple batteries, my Z6, lens, batteries, etc. Never had anyone question it. Besides, TS doesn't care, so how would Spirit even know what's in your bag? If it passes through TSA and bag fits their size requirements, don't sweat it.

Hint, best to remove all batteries from cameras and drones while traveling. At least I do that.

Reactions: RoarRoar
I know that some people will try to argue with me about this but I strongly recommend discharging drone batteries to 40 - 50% before traveling. This puts less stress on the batteries during changes in pressure and they are less of a fire hazard when not charged to 100%
LiPos don't like to be in a fully charged state for longer than 72hrs, and if you add the pressure changes, it is not very good for the battery. It's not that hard, that's why I always discharge my batteries to 50%

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3