DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Splashed my Mavic yesterday

LSaupe

Reactions
Had a bad day yesterday. Lost my Mavic doing some work over water. Log is here.

One last quick shot with a battery on the low side. When the battery low warning came in I finished as quick as I could then tried to shoot back. The bird started a slow decent then dropped into the water (vanished in 40 feet of water before I could get out there). It was filming to the crash scene. What is odd is that it registered an object above it just before it went in.

Obviously some rookie mistakes here over water (low over water and low battery). The throttle back and reverse motions indicated happened when it was in the water. Indicated altitude... is this measured by pressure altitude, or from the home point GPS reference? The take off point was a good 6 feet above the water. The playback on my IPAD actually shows altitude increasing. The data log below does not though (which is kinda odd). What is VPS Altitude vice IMU?

Any thoughts here appreciated. Absolutely loved this bird and its capabilities before I lost it. Will be a while before I can save up enough $$$ to venture out again. In such case, can just the bird be purchased, or do you need to by a whole package again?

Larry S
Corinth, NY

When you fly above water use one of these. e bay

Attachments

• floating protec MP2_01.JPG
    floating protec MP2_01.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 153
  • floating protec MP2_02.JPG
    floating protec MP2_02.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 140
First off, let ma say that I am sorry for your loss. With lessons learned and all that, hopefully you will be back in the air soon.
... Indicated altitude... is this measured by pressure altitude, or from the home point GPS reference? ...
Indicated altitude starts at zero at your take-off point and is adjusted by barometer. I guess that is why Go 4 uses the term "height" instead of "altitude". If you fly from the top of a hill down below your take-off point the height will show in negative numbers.
...What is VPS Altitude vice IMU?...
VPS is the Vision Positioning System and on my MP is fairly accurate below 30 feet. It uses ultrasonic transmitters/receivers to measure the distance below the aircraft when in range and is independent of the "height" reading.

Reactions: Former Member
I might try those on a puddle; that's about it.

Anyone know a reliable resource to look at the data files retrieved from my Ipod to determine the cause of the crash?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3