DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sport mode but max speed is limited...

wehobella

Reactions
I took my Mavic out for her maiden voyage yesterday and was in Sport mode but it seemed like my top speed maxed out at around 12MPH. Is there another setting I need to look at in order to get the faster speed? Also, even though I was in sport mode, collision protection was enabled. (Several times, the Mavic took evasive action when it sensed a tree.) I thought that in Sport mode, collision avoidance was not possible.

Maiden voyage - sports mode.
Not a good recipe for your first foray.
Suggest beginners mode for a couple flights and read the downloadable manual before doing anything else.
Otherwise your next post will be about how you lost the MP over water in trees or behind high rise buildings.
The MP is quite forgiving but you still need to be cognisant of its capabilities.
Apart from that happy flying and have fun.

Did you go into the app and turn your beginner mode off. If you did not sport mode will not work

Yes... I turned "beginner mode" off in the app settings (on my iPhone). But the drone wasn't "on". I was not connected. I thought that any modifications to setting in app would be set upon turning on the drone. Perhaps they need to both be on in order to change modes?

Maiden voyage - sports mode.
Not a good recipe for your first foray.
Suggest beginners mode for a couple flights and read the downloadable manual before doing anything else.
Otherwise your next post will be about how you lost the MP over water in trees or behind high rise buildings.
The MP is quite forgiving but you still need to be cognisant of its capabilities.
Apart from that happy flying and have fun.

HA! Good point. To offer a little more detail, on my maiden voyage, I had no issues. I was just flying in an empty patch of grass with a few trees. I was in a controlled flight, going slow, and the Mavic engaged it's safety protocol. You make a good point though. I would only engage sport mode when I have more distance - certainly not around trees. Is it possible to engage the object avoidance mode mid-flight (for when your drone is near some danger?)

Yes... I turned "beginner mode" off in the app settings (on my iPhone). But the drone wasn't "on". I was not connected. I thought that any modifications to setting in app would be set upon turning on the drone. Perhaps they need to both be on in order to change modes?

OK... I just went through the settings again when the iPhone was paired to the drone. I absolutely was NOT in beginner mode during the maiden voyage. I know this because I was able to move my drone 300' vertically and about 1,000 feet away. As I understand it, in beginner mode, distances of these type would not be possible. Is that correct? I think the issue was that even though the "side switch" on the remote was in "sport mode", the iPhone app (or the drone itself) recognized that initial setting. (I never changed it during flight.)

Also... now I am in Sport mode... and I see that I can still choose obstacle avoidance in the iPhone app settings. Is that correct? I thought it wasn't possible to have obstacle avoidance setting while in Sport mode?

Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: JJDUN770
Obstacle avoidance will not work in sport mode, it doesn't have the time to get out of the way at such speeds

And, on your display it will say- Sport mode, when you got it right,
But as above, She really moves in Sport so make sure you are in a large, obstacle free area!

I’m having issues with speed since day one. About 6 flights on this bird. Not in beginners mode either.
Avg non-sport mode is about 19 mph. Sport mode I got up to 28 mph.
Yesterday I was having a headwind of 1.5 mph and the bird, in non sport mode, was making just about 5mph.
My P3A just blows this MP away and I thought they would be neck and neck.
Is there a problem? Can’t see any issues in my AirData logs either.

Sounds like you aren't in sport mode (and havent read the manual). The sport mode switch wont do anything until enabled in the app.

Reactions: Prop_Nut
But it is, or it should be due to the obstacle avoidance measures are disabled during sport mode pops up on controller and airdata flight logs.

Upload the logs to airdata or phantom help so people can see RPMs, wind speeds and so on

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000