DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

squeaky butt moment, dont ignore wind warning with hanger 360

colinfowler

Premium Pilot
Reactions
so, today was my 1st disconnection.:(
after recording home point started hanger 360 got a wind warning but continued up to 91mtrs.
hanger 360 aborted so I hit rth
did not work so hit rth on remote, did not rth no manual control and now drifted 83mtrs away still at 91mtrs height.
switched to goapp showed disconnected, squeaky butt initiated.
closed hanger 360, switched off and restarted controller, restarted go app, instantly reconnected and rth started on command and landed 6" from take off position.

so, don't ignore wind warnings, or have some spare boxers.Thumbswayup

Last edited:
so, today was my 1st disconnection
......so, don't ignore wind warnings..

... Your description of events does not mention and therefore suggests you overlooked the final and most most important item on Hangar 360 pre-flight checklist.

"Be Ready to override control by switching flight modes"

By this they mean if things go wrong, toggle the switch on the side of the RC to Sport mode and optionally back to P mode.. Theoretically this should have given you control back instantly & staying in Sport mode would have given you more performance to deal with the wind. Perhaps you tried this, but you did not mention doing so.

... Your description of events does not mention and therefore suggests you overlooked the final and most most important item on Hangar 360 pre-flight checklist.

By this they mean if things go wrong, toggle the switch on the side of the RC to Sport mode and optionally back to P mode.. Theoretically this should have given you control back instantly & staying in Sport mode would have given you more performance to deal with the wind. Perhaps you tried this, but you did not mention doing so.

Hi logger
Yes my description omitted that mode was switched to gain control, but It gave me no control.

This is the 1st time this has happend, but will now change settings to RTH when disconnect not hover.

Checked settings and RTH was already set upon disconnect??

Last edited:
Yes my description omitted that mode was switched to gain control, but It gave me no control.

Take your point totally about doing what you need to do to get control back, just not sure that it was the wind that was the cause of disconnection in the first place, ie any other thoughts ?

not sure, iv flown at this site many time at much greater distances with no problems.
i had full vlos
there was a quick message come on screen when 91mtrs was reached re wind.
i was then looking up and seeing that MP was moving around a lot.
its a very open area and at that height the wind must have been stronger and different direction than at ground level

not sure, iv flown at this site many time at much greater distances with no problems.i had full vlosthere was a quick message come on screen when 91mtrs was reached re wind.
i was then looking up and seeing that MP was moving around a lot.its a very open area and at that height the wind must have been stronger and different direction than at ground level
Fair enough, and all good observations we can learn from.

I've used Hanger many times but remember to reorientate your controller antenna so the Mavic is not flying in the null field if your holding the RC flat with antenna pointing up. Fold the antenna out flat if flying straight up above you

Reactions: ICHOTT
I've used Hanger many times but remember to reorientate your controller antenna so the Mavic is not flying in the null field if your holding the RC flat with antenna pointing up. Fold the antenna out flat if flying straight up above you

Spot on, in fact you just reminded my of an experience I had whilst doing a hangar 360 a couple weeks ago, not windy but after selecting RTH at the end of finalising media the craft started to descend then stopped/slowed considerably to about 80m . It just would not then keep lowering, I had to go to sport mode to take over and bring her in to land manually.

Long story short - later I thought of aerial orientation and of course I was directly BELOW the craft with aerials pointing straight UP giving the weakest signal tx. Since then I always flatten the aerials towards the craft for max effect and it does actually show this in the MVP user guide somewhere. Could be a consideration?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User