DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

St. Vincent volcano eruption altering plane travel routes.

Duckhunter50

Reactions
I thought this might be of interest to some here. I was exploring air traffic on flightradar24 and remembered about the volcanic eruption. So I checked that part of the map and was suprised to learn that the ash cloud is affecting air traffic nearly all the way across the Atlantic ocean.

Hear are a couple of screen shots of airplanes altering their routes.
Screenshot_20210411-213812.pngScreenshot_20210411-213900.png

A lot of people don't realize that the Caribbean is still a fairly active volcanic region. I used to fly manned aircraft down there. I lived in Nevis which is near Montserrat, and shortly after I returned stateside, Montserrat erupted displacing nearly all of the island's people. I went back after, and I could not believe what I saw. What had been a fairly lush island was a barren mass of rock, and the airport was gone, having been buried in lava. And yes, the fine ash that makes it into the jet routes - 18000' - 40000' or so - is avoided at all costs. It is like sandpaper on precisely engineered parts, and very unwanted...

I remember a few years back when a volcano in Iceland bew its top and hearing about planes having to route around the ash cloud then. This is the first time I had observed it in real time.
I never thought about the ash being like sandpaper inside the airplane engines.

That was an amazing account to read about. I hadn`t realized that the ash cloud would be dispersed enough that it wouldn`t be visible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54