DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm claim? Will homeowners go up?

Branman

Reactions
Hi I had a quick question to maybe get some help on. I’ve had State Farm homeowners policy for a few years. In May of last year I added a personal articles policy for my drone $50/yr coverage. Sadly I need to submit a claim for my drone. I’m worried they may cancel my homeowners or even raise the premium of my homeowners. Is this possible or likely? Thanks for any help. I did some reading on here for a bit and couldn’t find my questions answer so I apologize in advance if this may have been discussed before.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Hi I had a quick question to maybe get some help on. I’ve had State Farm homeowners policy for a few years. In May of last year I added a personal articles policy for my drone $50/yr coverage. Sadly I need to submit a claim for my drone. I’m worried they may cancel my homeowners or even raise the premium of my homeowners. Is this possible or likely? Thanks for any help. I did some reading on here for a bit and couldn’t find my questions answer so I apologize in advance if this may have been discussed before.
I have Erie for my home, cars etc.... I got the State Farm PAP for my Mavic 2 Pro two years. 8 months after I got it I made a claim. I had a small crash in Bermuda, touched a cliff and had a hard landing. The gimbal was off about 10 degrees so I figured I'm make a claim. Told them what happened and what was wrong. Silly me thought they would just tell me to get it fixed which I could have done for $150. Nope, they considered it totaled. I actually tried to convince them I could have it repaired, they did want to hear about it. Couple days later I get a check for X amount of money, this included the price for the total package with smart controller. One month later they canceled my policy

Reactions: pelagic_one
I have Erie for my home, cars etc.... I got the State Farm PAP for my Mavic 2 Pro two years. 8 months after I got it I made a claim. I had a small crash in Bermuda, touched a cliff and had a hard landing. The gimbal was off about 10 degrees so I figured I'm make a claim. Told them what happened and what was wrong. Silly me thought they would just tell me to get it fixed which I could have done for $150. Nope, they considered it totaled. I actually tried to convince them I could have it repaired, they did want to hear about it. Couple days later I get a check for X amount of money, this included the price for the total package with smart controller. One month later they canceled my policy
This is what I’ve read I’m mainly concerned about my homeowners getting cancelled. If they don’t renew my personal articles policy I’m ok with that. Maybe they are the exact same thing but I rather not search for a new homeowners policy.

This is what I’ve read I’m mainly concerned about my homeowners getting cancelled. If they don’t renew my personal articles policy I’m ok with that. Maybe they are the exact same thing but I rather not search for a new homeowners policy.
This question has come up and the answer is it depends entirely on your State but generally speaking the purpose of a personal articles policy is that it doesn’t affect your homeowners. Again depends on your State so talk to your agent. Only way to get a real answer. Don’t take the word of some random person on the internet like me

This question has come up and the answer is it depends entirely on your State but generally speaking the purpose of a personal articles policy is that it doesn’t affect your homeowners. Again depends on your State so talk to your agent. Only way to get a real answer. Don’t take the word of some random person on the internet like me
Yeah I was just looking to get some feedback first. I kinda like to know what I might be up against and if someone has experienced something similar than great. That’s pretty much all I’m looking for.

It's hard to say. State Farm isn't the company it once was. However, you don't have to have a homeowners policy with the to insure a drone. But if you have one as I do as well, I would think not, but again this is the "New State Farm", the one that denies more claims in the past and cancels quicker than in the past as well. How big could a drone claim be? They WILL cancel your policy after the claim as noted by someone else, but personally I don't think it will affect your homeowners.

I learned about the cancelation about a month ago when I had some minor damage that needed repair. Fortunately it was less to fix than I thought and I just paid out of pocket. Subsequently I signed up for Care Refresh in addition to the State Farm because I figure for damage it's just easier to send it to DJI and not worry about the cost and I consider the State Farm insurance which costs me $60/year total for 2 drones is better for fly-away or theft, which is prohibitiely expensive with DJI and I believe does not cover theft.

I would check with an agent and ask specific questions and get specific answers. Whether St.Farm is the one that denies more claims is probably a separate discussion. I’ve had St.Farm policies for homes, automobiles, and personal property for years and every time a claim came up, the agent went out of his way to do his job.
No two agents are the same. Find one that you’re comfortable with and take notes that have names, dates, and times.

I had State Farm insurance for my home, cars and motorcycles (Including my FJR :) ) for most of my Adult Life. We had bad luck with our house, nothing that we caused or could have avoided. The third house related claim and that was it. They didn't cancel me, they just would not re-new me.. I felt that for as many years that we were customers maybe they would talk to us or send somebody out to take a look, as our place was always impeccable. Nope! Adios!

Been with State Farm for 33 years for Homeowners, cars and PAP. Had claims totaling $11K on two incidents in the past 5 years. Still with State Farm and premiums remain unchanged.
Each state does regulate the insurance carriers and how they operate in that state.
Many factors can go into whether a carrier wants to retain you as a insured or cancel/ not renew. Consider whether the incident was preventable by you or caused by another. If preventable, that may cause an issue. Claims record....too many or same type of multiple claims can cause an issue. Carrier jumper will cause an issue. Premium inflow to claim outflow over a period of time can influence a decision as does your credit rating. And yes, may be your agent is not really “fully in your corner”.
Every carrier has their own quirky underwriting and actuaries to determine the risk to insure someone. Carriers can and will discriminate on property and casualty underwriting. Compare carriers. Find an agent and carrier you like.

Knowing the industry - if you are sub $1000 on the claim for the personal property claim should be OK with no claims over the next 3 years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61