DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm Drone Insurance

Fishhiker

Reactions
I saw my State Farm insurance agent today at lunch and asked him about Drone insurance.
I told him I heard it was $60 and he knew about it as his brother has it .
He was going to check into for me . He said it did say it included liability and replacement.
I’ll keep you posted .

I saw my State Farm insurance agent today at lunch and asked him about Drone insurance.
He was going to check into for me . He said it did say it included liability and replacement.
I’ll keep you posted .
Please do - I've been curious for a while. Thanks for looking into it

Reactions: itsneedtokno
I hate State Farm - they routinely deny coverage for people who need it. I have sued them many times and they always pay when pressured. But their personal article policy is good. I have one myself.

I have state farm it was c$75.00 for the year but no liability but if you crash your drone or it drops in the ocean it's covered you do not need the drone to file a claim also if it's stolen its coverd they give you a check for the perches price you can even cover accessory s if you bought them when you bought your drone

I’ll keep you posted .
I have SF in Michigan. I just met with my agent to review my insurance coverage specifically for recreational drone activities. What prompted the review was that my AMA membership was up for renewal.

For the coverage of my drone, I have a Personal Article policy which covers loss, not liability, specifically for my MPP. Any claim on that policy is separate from and does not affect my house insurance. I treat that policy as a catastrophic loss, such an unplanned landing in Lake Michigan. It is my choice to not use the PA policy as a nickel-dime claim for small damages.

For liability, I had AMA membership insurance. However, if you read the fine print, that insurance is secondary. For primary liability, I have a State Farm Umbrella policy separate from my house coverage. The Umbrella policy covers far far more than the AMA insurance, thus rendering the AMA insurance useless. I’m not renewing my AMA this year.

I hate State Farm - they routinely deny coverage for people who need it. I have sued them many times and they always pay when pressured. But their personal article policy is good. I have one myself.

I agree. I had State Farm car insurance for 50 years, with only minimum claims. They aren't bashful about routinely raising rates from year to year. They used to be good about processing claims. But in the last two years or so, both my daughter and I have been denied claims that *should* have been paid. A year ago I got a quote from The Hartford through AARP with better coverage that was HALF of State Farm's premium. And wouldn't you know my car suffered hail damage and the claim with Hartford was easy-peasy. I still have SF homeowners, but I've since moved my musical instrument rider to a different company.

Drone insurance? I looked into it, but only offer it so those who strictly fly as amateurs. If you are flying commercially you would not be covered. I went for the DJI care/refresh the only drawback being is that your drone has to be recoverable if you crash it.

I’ll keep you posted .
That would be good info, thanks!

I’ll keep you posted .
I had the SF "drone" insurance for 2 years on my Phantom 3 Standard. As others have mentioned, it's a replacement only, no liability. It technically wasn't a "drone" policy, it was a policy for home electronics that also covered drones. For $60 a year, it provided up to $2k in coverage (NYS, your mileage may vary). So when I had it on my P3S, which was $399 when I bought it, I also added my daughter's laptop.

One thing to remember with a plan like State Farm's "drone" plan. If you file a claim, it can raise your rates for your home insurance. The rules and regulations will vary from state to state, so talk to your insurance agent first.

Here are some facts.
All insurance companies can access ANY and ALL claims made no matter who or what the insurance company is or was.
I believe the records are kept for 7 years.
So if you have insurance with "x" company and insurance with "y" company and have 2 claims in less than 3 years you will find one of two of the following events happening.
You will be placed in a higher risk bracket and rates will go up on all plans at next renewal. OR you will find that at just prior to your next renewal that your insurance company is dropping you.
When you go and get new insurance from another company you will be in the highest bracket because they will know that you were dropped and that 2 claims were paid and the amount that was paid. You should only make claims for serious events as a claim for <2K you will pay back to the insurance industry over 3-5 years with higher rates once your policy(s) renew.
Liability insurance: Contact your insurance company and request a quote for "Personal Liability Coverage" I have a 1million dollar policy that cost me <500/yr. It covers ANY claim against me and my family.
As far as drone insurance if you crash your drone go on ebay and buy a used or refurbished drone for cheap dollars.
Insurance companies are not about protecting you they are about making profits.

I have state farm it was c$75.00 for the year but no liability but if you crash your drone or it drops in the ocean it's covered you do not need the drone to file a claim also if it's stolen its coverd they give you a check for the perches price you can even cover accessory s if you bought them when you bought your drone
I also got State Farm coverage (in TX) for $75/yr and included my ma2, my dji spark and my parrot bebop 2 as well at no extra charge.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
As soon as I said I flew for hire, State Farm wasn't interested. Recreational use only!

• Wow
Reactions: MKurr
I live in NY and just got coverage in June for my M2P as well as all the accessories in the fly more kit, all for $60 for the year. What I was told differs from what I’ve read here. No, it does not include liability insurance. I’m not a homeowner. I rent and they offered me a renters insurance policy that included liability insurance for about $125/year. As far as replacement of a lost/destroyed drone, be very careful because I asked specific questions to my agent and was told if I lose my drone for any reason, all I’ll get a check for is what I paid for it. NOT replacement value. They actually required me to send copies of my purchase receipts. So my problem is, I bought a brand new Mavic 2 Pro on eBay and stumbled on an amazing deal of $1385! (As we know, they go for around $1600). So if I crash my drone or it gets stolen, all I’ll get back is $1385 and I’m on the hook for the difference because I’m sure I’ll never see it this cheap again. (Of course if the Mavic 3 comes out before I experience a loss, I’ll just use the money for a down payment on an upgrade! ?)

I have it. My small town agent didn't know much about it when I came in to get it. Between me telling her about it and her going through her computer for the right documents, we were able to get it done. It was so new to them and I was the first person to come into their office to get it. Got full coverage so if anything happens, they write a check for the full retail value. It was $60 for a year.

I’ll keep you posted .
Drone insurance with State Farm or any other carrier is a"personal property" policy (floater). It covers damage by any cause and loss of the drone. Liability insurance is provided by your Homeowners or Renters policy and any umbrella policey you may carry. BOTH OF THESE ARE NOT for professional / business use.
I do not know if State Farm offers business damage and a general liability policy, but I will need to find out very soon. Companies like The Hartford do.

Last edited:
It seems SF coverage on drones varies state to state but after seeing someone here stating they got it for $60/yr I called around locally and now have what the contract states is full coverage less collateral damage with no retrieval necessary (ie if it's stole, takes a plunge in a deep lake, etc).
They even let me pay it quarterly.
It took the agent a couple of days to research and find if it was dooable but they should be able to confirm that coverage if they check.
They categorized it as a personal property policy for up to $1000.
I would suggest contacting all of your local agents and tell them you've seen others get full coverage (less collateral) on this forum.

i just got State Farm coverage in FL for $79/year for full coverage, no deductable.

The problem with DJI Care Refresh is that they ask if you want it when you're just connecting your drone to the phone, and newbies like me have no idea what it is or what it's asking for, and you just want to see if you can get everything working and connected. By the time I knew what Care Refresh was, it was already too late. Anyway, this State Farm insurance is great!
Bob

I have it. My small town agent didn't know much about it when I came in to get it. Between me telling her about it and her going through her computer for the right documents, we were able to get it done. It was so new to them and I was the first person to come into their office to get it. Got full coverage so if anything happens, they write a check for the full retail value. It was $60 for a year.
I copied this from the email my SF agent sent:

If you would like to pursue writing a policy I will need the following:

Copies of actual purchase documents for the drone.
Brand and Model of the drone and its related components.
A list of the related items on drone with details and values. Example: Camera
Current Homeowner insurance company
Any claims in the last 3 years?

The minimum premium for the policy is $45.00 a year.

Last edited:

I agree. I also have it and have a couple of drones insured for the same total price of $75 per year. No liability though. That’s a separate policy.

Drone insurance with State Farm or any other carrier is a"personal property" polivy (floater). It cvovers damage to by any cause and loss of the drone. Liability insurance is provided by your Homeowners or Renters policy and any umbrella policey you may carry. BOTH OF THESE ARE NOT for professional / business use.
I do not know if State Farm offers business damage and a general liability policy, but I will need to find out very soon. Companies like The Hartford do.
I'm curious what you're mapping and was wondering what you do with the video once shot? Do you make it into a digital map?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom