DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm for coverage

Hendu

Reactions
I debated if I should get DJIs coverage or not vs State Farm as I waited for my MA2 to arrive. I’m really glad I chose State Farm, they quoted me at 20 dollars a year for just over 1000 coverage on my set up. I’m sure it was that cheap because I’ve been a customer for 25 years and already have my wife’s ring on a PAP.

I thought I’d share for anyone debating if it’s worth it, especially if an existing customer.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Yes, I have State Farm too. But, I also paid for the DJI Refresh. Why? Because if it's a crash and I can recover the drone, I'd rather have DJI pay out and take care of it because once you file a claim with State Farm they will either cancel you personal property coverage, or, jack your rate way up. So, I'm leaving them as a last resort to file a claim if the drone is lost, stolen, etc.

Yes, I have State Farm too. But, I also paid for the DJI Refresh. Why? Because if it's a crash and I can recover the drone, I'd rather have DJI pay out and take care of it because once you file a claim with State Farm they will either cancel you personal property coverage, or, jack your rate way up. So, I'm leaving them as a last resort to file a claim if the drone is lost, stolen, etc.

My rates were not jacked after my drone claim with SF. I lost my MA over a year ago. Canceled the policy soon after they payed out. Just recently signed up for coverage on my new MA2. easy peasy. Note my drone is the only insurance I have on SF.

Not saying all people will get the same treatment.

Do you know that as a fact they will raise your rate way up? Just curious as I have a policy on my Karma for over 2 years with no claims and just add my air 2 for $32 a year for both. Like the other guy said I have all my insurance with them for about 35 yrs.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Do you know that as a fact they will raise your rate way up? Just curious as I have a policy on my Karma for over 2 years with no claims and just add my air 2 for $32 a year for both. Like the other guy said I have all my insurance with them for about 35 yrs.
Yes, I've seen other drone owners say SF either canceled them outright, or, dramatically raised their rates on their personal articles policy.

Reactions: Larry1108
If you file an insurance claim for your drone, it will eventually make your overall insurance rates go up, mainly your home owners insurance. DJI refresh is a much better option in the long run.

I previously posted more in depth about this here:

Reactions: GadgetGuy and geneg
If you file an insurance claim for your drone, it will eventually make your overall insurance rates go up, mainly your home owners insurance. DJI refresh is a much better option in the long run.

The problem of course is that Refresh doesn't cover theft, doesn't cover fire, doesn't cover a non-recoverable drone, etc.

My rates were not jacked after my drone claim with SF. I lost my MA over a year ago. Canceled the policy soon after they payed out. Just recently signed up for coverage on my new MA2. easy peasy. Note my drone is the only insurance I have on SF.

Not saying all people will get the same treatment.
Just curious which state you are in - I called one SF agent and was told they didn't offer insurance for a drone ?

The problem of course is that Refresh doesn't cover theft, doesn't cover fire, doesn't cover a non-recoverable drone, etc.

Correct. However if the loss is under $2,000, you’re generally better off paying it yourself compared to using your coverage.

This is not necessarily the facts. Making a claim on a personal articles policy may make your homeowners rates increase, but that is not a definitive formula. There are many factors that go into how an insurance company calculates the rates. Claims are only one factor. Also, if any rates are increased due to a claim, that is calculated in your rate as a separate % once the base rate is calculated. Then if that is your only claim, the claim only creates a rate increase for 2 years, not for the life of the policy.
I speak from experience. I am a licensed insurance agent and have quoted countless homeowners policies. Also, I have my drones and other computer equipment insured with State Farm. And that is the only policy I have with SF. I had a crash with my drone and made a claim. My homeowners policy did not increase, my State Farm policy did not cancel nor go up in rate, and I added my replacement drone onto the policy immediately upon purchase. The point is, every situation is different and cannot be made with a blanket statement.

I debated if I should get DJIs coverage or not vs State Farm as I waited for my MA2 to arrive. I’m really glad I chose State Farm, they quoted me at 20 dollars a year for just over 1000 coverage on my set up. I’m sure it was that cheap because I’ve been a customer for 25 years and already have my wife’s ring on a PAP.

I thought I’d share for anyone debating if it’s worth it, especially if an existing customer.
after you put a claim in, they will drop you.

after you put a claim in, they will drop you.
This is not true for all people. I had a claim and they did not drop me. My policy has renewed twice since my claim in 2018. If the drone is the only item on the policy and you make a claim, State Farm will cancel the policy after 30 days of the claim if a new item is not replaced onto the policy. This is because there are not items on the personal items policy to cover. I cashed the claim check that SF sent to me, purchased a new drone and then called SF to add the new drone onto the policy before the 30 days are up. No issue all. Once you make a claim, the insurance company assumes that the item is destroyed or lost forever and they have paid out on that item. There is no such thing as a "partial loss" on this type of policy. Once you're paid, you must place another item for coverage onto the policy or it will be cancelled because there is nothing else on there to cover.

I switched to SF about 15 years ago after an article in national newspaper heaped praise upon them for paying out claims quickly, using OEM parts for repairs (not junkyard parts) and overall customer satisfaction. I was with Geico at the time. While SF got an A+ score, Geico got a D+. Mind you, the only claim I've had in 15 years has been two roadside assistance calls, so basically they love me because I keep shoveling them money and never make a claim :)

Reactions: kjcbid54
I just inquired about coverage and they quoted me $65, which I'm going to sign up for. You can pay it in monthly payments ($5.41/mo in my case), or annual one time payment - there is no benefit to paying all upfront so I will stick to the monthly payment. I don't know how anyone can say DJI Care Refresh is better than this. They not only will cover total loss, but in the event of any repairable damages (maybe gimbal broke, for example), they will cover this on a claim. DJI Care Refresh you have to pay them a much higher cost for repairs and there is zero total loss coverage in the event you cannot retrieve the drone.
The rep did say that if I make a total loss claim in the 1st year of coverage that they would terminate my coverage (but, my total loss would still be paid and covered, just cancelled thereafter) because that is a negative loss experience. Most losses are expected to occur once every 20 years she explained.

State Farm is the way to go, in my opinion.

I called State Farm and because I have the 107 cert they will not insure me. She said recreational pilots/drones only.

Interesting..I called Allstate..your not in good hands dudes....hey never heard of this and wont do it!!
She also told me Statefarm wont insure drones either

Just curious which state you are in - I called one SF agent and was told they didn't offer insurance for a drone ?
I've found that if one agent said they don't have coverage, to shop around with different SF agents. No all know of the availability. I'm in NY.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007