DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm Insurance

freightshaker

Reactions
Some have gotten the insurance from State Farm which encouraged me to get it as well, $60 sounds like a great deal. But has anyone filed a claim yet? What is the amount they cover?
I believe they pay for just the drone, not accessories. For example my drone was previously owned, I gave them the receipt showing the price paid, let's say $800. Now if the drone were stolen, crashed into the sea, run over or whatever, what do they actually pay? I know $60 isn't a big number compared to the price of the the drone itself, but is it worth the money? The time & hassle?

Reactions: DMT and FASTFJR
Some have gotten the insurance from State Farm which encouraged me to get it as well, $60 sounds like a great deal. But has anyone filed a claim yet? What is the amount they cover?
I believe they pay for just the drone, not accessories. For example my drone was previously owned, I gave them the receipt showing the price paid, let's say $800. Now if the drone were stolen, crashed into the sea, run over or whatever, what do they actually pay? I know $60 isn't a big number compared to the price of the the drone itself, but is it worth the money? The time & hassle?

I made a claim in August for my Mavic 2 Pro. I lightly hit a cliff in Bermuda. The drone overall was fine, couple scratches that was about it. However the gimbal was off, after trying a bunch of resets and calibration it was still off about 5 degrees. I contacted my local State Farm office, told them I crashed everything worked fine except the gimbal. I would have thought they would have had me had it repaired and send them the bill. They did not, I had to fill out a form stating it was damaged, what the damage was etc.... Three days later I get a call saying I'm getting a check for the total amount covered $2200, since I had the entire packaged covered including the smart controller. It kind of blew my mind they didn't want pictures or anything else to prove what happened. When I was on the phone I said to the person I can send photos, all I really want is the gimbal repaired. Nope, they considered it a total loss. I said OK, I get my check deposit it and 30 days later get a notice my covered is canceled LOL.

I gave my drone to a friend of mine who is an electrician and a geek to boot. He took the gimbal apart, reassembled it and gave me the drone back about a week later. It works good as new.

Reactions: freightshaker
Sucks they canceled you though. You paid to have the whole package covered? Was that the $60 plan I paid? If so, that's a hell of a deal, better than DJI's.
I'm just concerned because I've heard too many suddenly losing power & falling from the sky. I fly over the Great South Bay form time to time when I'm not using it to search for lost pets. Even if I were somehow able to recover it, saltwater is bad news for electronics. One time it was almost run over just after it landed, that was what really motivated me to insure it. Wondered if they just covered the drone itself, how they would they assess that.
I made a claim in August for my Mavic 2 Pro. I lightly hit a cliff in Bermuda. The drone overall was fine, couple scratches that was about it. However the gimbal was off, after trying a bunch of resets and calibration it was still off about 5 degrees. I contacted my local State Farm office, told them I crashed everything worked fine except the gimbal. I would have thought they would have had me had it repaired and send them the bill. They did not, I had to fill out a form stating it was damaged, what the damage was etc.... Three days later I get a call saying I'm getting a check for the total amount covered $2200, since I had the entire packaged covered including the smart controller. It kind of blew my mind they didn't want pictures or anything else to prove what happened. When I was on the phone I said to the person I can send photos, all I really want is the gimbal repaired. Nope, they considered it a total loss. I said OK, I get my check deposit it and 30 days later get a notice my covered is canceled LOL.

I gave my drone to a friend of mine who is an electrician and a geek to boot. He took the gimbal apart, reassembled it and gave me the drone back about a week later. It works good as new.

My Mavic Air developed a mind of it's own and flew off never to be see again. I had insured it through State Farm at the price I paid for the drone and the fly more package. They sent me a check for the full amount. And no, they did not cancel me. I used the check to purchase a new M2Z which is now covered by them.

Sucks they canceled you though. You paid to have the whole package covered? Was that the $60 plan I paid? If so, that's a hell of a deal, better than DJI's.
I'm just concerned because I've heard too many suddenly losing power & falling from the sky. I fly over the Great South Bay form time to time when I'm not using it to search for lost pets. Even if I were somehow able to recover it, saltwater is bad news for electronics. One time it was almost run over just after it landed, that was what really motivated me to insure it. Wondered if they just covered the drone itself, how they would they assess that.

I paid $56, I think I had the insurance for maybe three months. Maybe thats why they cancelled. I don't get it, I would have been happy with the repair. I still don't understand their thinking. Anyway I have a drone that works well and money in the bank

was the pro the only thing you had on the policy?

Yes, that was it. Home, Car etc....are with Erie

That’s why. I myself have home and car through geico. I spoke to my agent and my sister who is a agent for USAA who both informed me to utilize the PAP through State Farm and put other things on ther such as laptops, cameras, expensive televisions. The more items you have on the policy the less likely they’re to drop you for needing one replaced. I still paid $60 a year and policy has close to 8k worth of items on it andif I remember correctly, have a cap of 10k.

I had insurance with them. 2 lost drones. They paid and canceled me.

The policy covers replacement cost. That is, new for used. So those items will be replaced. What should be done is they should only need to replace the items lost if they is possible. But most likely 1) the adjuster does not know that this can be done and/or 2) the adjuster does not really care and it is simply easier for them to pay the entire amount and call it a day. So they are really handling those claims incorrectly.

The policy covers what is listed on the policy at the time. If they have paid for that item, the policy should be cancelled as they have honored their part of the agreement and that agreement ends. It is not like that are saying they don't want to insure you any more because of the loss... the agreement simply ran its course. Granted, if you try to obtain another policy they may not want your business. That depends as many factors.

i have state farm
all my equiptment is on it, ipad mini 4,sony dsl camera with all lenses, mavic pro,all mavic pro batterys,chargers,filters,laptop,im on my 4th year with them,yearly went from 60 to 73 a year, i had a mavic crash 2 yrs ago, very fast on settlement.

As I have said many times before, My SF agent will not underwrite a personal property policy unless it is wrapped with a home owner's insurance.

Reactions: WAXMAN
As I have said many times before, My SF agent will not underwrite a personal property policy unless it is wrapped with a home owner's insurance.
you might want to call SF direct on that because what ive seen in the last few yrs is some state SF reps are just plain lazy and dont want to write a 60 policy

You need to call another agent. I have about two dozen around me within a 5 mile radius. I had to call 5 before I found one that would write me a policy. Sounds like your agent is just lazy.

You need to call another agent. I have about two dozen around me within a 5 mile radius. I had to call 5 before I found one that would write me a policy. Sounds like your agent is just lazy.
A State Farm agent in Sayville, NY told me the same...in order to get a personal property floater I need to have a homeowners policy. He also said he was not certain a personal property floater could include a drone. When I pointed out that State Farm provided coverage in other areas, he indicated coverage can vary from location to location.

Reactions: pmshop
That song and dance comes from alot of SF agents. See SF guidelines on the drones or state them to the agent that says no

I have SF for all of my rental properties, 2 vehicles and an umbrella policy and have done so for decades, but because my principal residence is in California I cannot buy SF’s drone insurance. It makes me wonder why they exclude coverage here.

I also have a State Farm Personal article policy that I use to insure a Mavic Pro as well as a couple more expensive multi-rotor aircraft. I live in Indiana and it is the only policy I carry with State Farm. I don’t know a lot about insurance but I do know laws regarding coverage varies state to state but I wouldn’t settle on any one person or agents word on the subject without investigating it myself. It is nice to have coverage particularly on aircraft with such electronic systems that at times seem to develop a mind of their own. It gives me piece of mind to use and fly the aircraft as I want too. Even if they cancel after paying a claim for the low premium I still consider it a great deal.

Good thought. Perhaps I should ask my SF agent Washington State or Idaho where I have rentals and policies.

in the middle of nowhere
Nearest town is 20 miles away

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61