DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State Farm Personal Property insurance really came through for me after I crashed my drone. 65 dollars a year to get a payout of $600 for repairs.

SteveR43

Reactions
I crashed my drone just 3 months after I purchased personal property insurance. They repair it or pay the cost of replacement if lost or totaled. Most companies only charge this amount (65 dollars a year).

I crashed the drone, sent it to DJI for a repair quote, sent the quote to the insurance company, and just like that, they wired the cost of repair to my bank account. No questions asked.

Why did I purchase personal property insurance on that particular drone? Well, my care refresh had expired and I was afraid I might have an event such as I did. Looks like I bought it just in the nick of time. It's almost worth not purchasing DJI Care, and instead purchasing personal property insurance. It costs a lot less. The end results are the same. Your drone is either repaired or replaced depending on the circumstances.

Ive been talking about State Farm's Person ARTICLES Policy around here for some time. Thats a policy for people that donr have any other State Farm insurance, I believe. Its a GREAT policy, imo.
Here in Savannah it was $75 for the year...

It can work.
Something to be aware of that DJI Care/Refresh has a limited time where you can only renew their insurance for a max of 2 years, I think.

I have SF on my drones as well. But my Mavic 2 is now a legacy drone, not covered by DJI any longer after 2 years of premium payments and no repairs needed from them. But after expiration it broke a leg that I glued back on rather than spend $200 more for a private fix. DJI was done with it and had my money for 2 years. I will still care for my Mavic 2, trying not to crash. But if it happens, it's still covered under SF. Yep. $60 total for THREE drones coverage. I guess the bean counters know what they're doing. SF has my $180, but I don't feel abused by the premium, but privileged to get it so cheap.

Glad to know that SF paid out as they should have. It's cheap supplemental insurance for us drone guys.

It can work.
Something to be aware of that DJI Care/Refresh has a limited time where you can only renew their insurance for a max of 2 years, I think.

I have SF on my drones as well. But my Mavic 2 is now a legacy drone, not covered by DJI any longer after 2 years of premium payments and no repairs needed from them. But after expiration it broke a leg that I glued back on rather than spend $200 more for a private fix. DJI was done with it and had my money for 2 years. I will still care for my Mavic 2, trying not to crash. But if it happens, it's still covered under SF. Yep. $60 total for THREE drones coverage. I guess the bean counters know what they're doing. SF has my $180, but I don't feel abused by the premium, but privileged to get it so cheap.

Glad to know that SF paid out as they should have. It's cheap supplemental insurance for us drone guys.

The end of line comes when you make a claim, I would think. Chances are you may be cancelled or not renewed the following year. I would assume.

Not a correct assumption. I have made a claim - was compensated promptly and still have my policy. I lost a Mavic 3 in a dense forest/blackberry thicket and State Farm paid the purchase price for replacement. My replacement Mavic 3 is on my current Personal Articles policy.

Not a correct assumption. I have made a claim - was compensated promptly and still have my policy. I lost a Mavic 3 in a dense forest/blackberry thicket and State Farm paid the purchase price for replacement. My replacement Mavic 3 is on my current Personal Articles policy.
Thats why I said it was my assumption. lol. AND, have you expired the year that you made the claim and have another policy at the same rate for the following year? And is this your only item with State Farm? Not added to a home owner's, right?

Thats why I said it was my assumption. lol. AND, have you expired the year that you made the claim and have another policy at the same rate for the following year? And is this your only item with State Farm? Not added to a home owner's, right?

My personal articles policy has been around for quite some time and covers about $15K worth of camera gear. The drone is an add-on to that policy. State Farm cancelled the coverage of the lost drone since it was covered by serial number and then added the replacement drone with the new serial number. This is not part of my home owner's policy with them for 25 years now.

Reactions: Hauptmann
When I asked my State Farm agent about a PAP for my drone he told me that for $75 a year I could insure up to $10,000 worth of 'personal articles'... so I added my DSLR gear, some of my wife's jewelry, and my college-age daughter's laptop. I'm in the middle of dusting off my P3P, which I haven't flown in a year or more, and will be adding that to the Personal Articles Policy also.

I crashed my drone just 3 months after I purchased personal property insurance. They repair it or pay the cost of replacement if lost or totaled. Most companies only charge this amount (65 dollars a year).

I crashed the drone, sent it to DJI for a repair quote, sent the quote to the insurance company, and just like that, they wired the cost of repair to my bank account. No questions asked.

Why did I purchase personal property insurance on that particular drone? Well, my care refresh had expired and I was afraid I might have an event such as I did. Looks like I bought it just in the nick of time. It's almost worth not purchasing DJI Care, and instead purchasing personal property insurance. It costs a lot less. The end results are the same. Your drone is either repaired or replaced depending on the circumstances.
I stopped buying Care Refresh in favor of the State Farm policy with the release of the original Mavic Air. I think I am paying something like $85 per year to cover my Mini 3 Pro, Air 2s and Avata. The only caveat is that the coverage will not apply for the commercial use of the drones. Personal use only.

I stopped buying Care Refresh in favor of the State Farm policy with the release of the original Mavic Air. I think I am paying something like $85 per year to cover my Mini 3 Pro, Air 2s and Avata. The only caveat is that the coverage will not apply for the commercial use of the drones. Personal use only.
I recall them saying that myself.

You gotta wonder if others just make a claim regardless of work or recreation. The claims agent most likely wouldn't investigate to obtain that knowledge, I was recreation. No money being made. Flying for fun only.

Interesting thing about this claim. I filed for the insurance for a particular Mavic 3 with a particular serial number. However, the Mavic 3 repair slip only had a work order number and not the serial number attached. The insurance company never asked me or DJI for the serial number. So, theoretically you could have more than one mavic 3, insure just one, and if another of your mavic 3s gets damaged, they would still cover it, as long as they saw the repair order estimate for a Mavic 3.

You are lucky. I don't know the name of the insurance company my boss used to have to cover us but after we crashed our drone a few years ago, they wouldn't pay a thing. They said we'd have to have special coverage, at a much higher fee of course! Then our tripod fell out of our truck when I was unpacking and it broke. The insurance company wouldn't pay for that replacement either. In fact, they said, basically, ALL of our video production equipment would have to be stolen out of truck before they'd pay as our policy was written. Today, we have a new insurance carrier.

I am not sure it would matter if you insured more than one drone in terms of premium amount. There is a minimum premium charge for coverage of items up to a certain aggregate threshold. My premium didn't change when I added my second drone to the policy and then there was only a slight increase when I added my third.

I have the same Personal Articles policy and have been using it for my cameras for years. One caveat for adding drones - recreational use only.
Exactly. I use my drones 90% for commercial work, so while I had this policy for 2+ years, I ended up canceling it this year.

I checked with my SF agent, and they said they could not cover commercial use or if my smart phone is attached to the controller.

I’ve had SF personal articles, for 5 years, only claim was first year for $700, SF has renewed every year for $65/year

Ive been talking about State Farm's Person ARTICLES Policy around here for some time. Thats a policy for people that donr have any other State Farm insurance, I believe. Its a GREAT policy, imo.
Here in Savannah it was $75 for the year...
You know what? I got the idea of getting the personal articles policy from this forum. Maybe I read one of your posts. I had state farm Insurance for may car anyway, so I just called and added a new policy for the drone.

• Love
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Great to have found this thread.. I have been looking into getting a SF policy for my Leica camera's, but never thought about it for my drone..

Thanks

Reactions: fotojack
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S