DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Steps to take in an emergency.

Quebecnewf

Reactions
Been thinking about this and rereading the Manuel for my MA.
At the same time reading different posts about problems guys run into flying their drones.
reading about as well some of the crashes that guys and girls have made with their drones .
Here’s what I’m thinking ( and this may already have been done ) we need a sub forum in this site that would highlight a problem you encounter when flying and then a list of emergency steps that need to be taken to mitigate and or solve the problem .
Air line pilots train on this .

for instance
Emergency:Loss of left engine
Do: step 1
Step 2
Step 3
Step 5
Etc etc

same thing could be done for drones

Warning : drone signal lost
Do :Step1
Step 2
Step 3 etc etc

now I know there are lots of variables but we should be able to compile and share a
Emergency Response List

I do not have enough experience at this time to start this type of thing ( still learning) but I’m thinking a good starting point would be to start with the most common error message we get while flying and list the ( to do) steps for this error.

anything we can do to help each other have less crashes is a step in the right direction .
Flyers could then study and learn these lists .
It should make the knowledge of all help each one of us
better pilots .
Now someone has to start so let an experienced pilot post a warning and then the steps to deal with it . Comments are then taken and the steps for that warning finalized and posted as a procedure .

Quebecnewf

Yes a great site he has there but I’m thinking more along the lines of just emergency recovery do this , this, and this lists .
for instance
You get a “ motor warning”
Do you
Push RTH?
Fly it back at height it’s at ASAP?
Drop low and fly back ASAP?
Try to land without flying back?
Etc etc etc .

quebecnewf

Reactions: old man mavic
Learned a little from my limited experience in the last few times on my Mavic 2 Zoom.
I fly RC model planes and 6 ch helicopters. So you would think it is so simple to fly a drone that has a lot of automatic features.
But I found out the big difference is:
With RC model, your fingers are always on the stick, your eyes are always on the aircraft, 100%.
But with my M2Z, I need to share the fingers between the sticks and the touch screen, I need to share my eyes between the touch screen and the aircraft.
I am still getting use to it. :)

Also thinking about "emergency" too because it will happen. For example, suddenly the smart phone out of battery, restart, App crashed. or dropped the remote on the ground. or remote beeps without seeing any error on the screen, or lost video link temporarily, etc ...

I would think this would be a good discussion for beginners.
For example, in my very first flight, iPhone shut down because of cold, I was able to use the remote to fly it back as a RC heli, so no problem. But it could be worse.

i understand your request for an emergency information thread,and myself and many others have offered advice on such procedures,not wishing to be disrespectful most of what you are asking about can be found in the online user manual,when you are flying a drone you need to able to deal with issues as they arise, and every scenario is different,there are no real hard and fast rules that apply in every circumstance

Yes I agree most if not all is to be found there . This was just a way of maybe condensing it and making it more of a “ quick study” option .

quebecnewf

What I have been doing to avoid crashes is do more practice flights until I am very familiar with the equipment. I still keep myself in beginner mode, so that I can be more comfortable to spend more time looking into my iPhone screen and trying to understand the icons, messages, and beeps. and also do more stick practices to get more feeling of this aircraft. Today I did a few figure 8's LOL.

i understand your request for an emergency information thread,and myself and many others have offered advice on such procedures,not wishing to be disrespectful most of what you are asking about can be found in the online user manual,when you are flying a drone you need to able to deal with issues as they arise, and every scenario is different,there are no real hard and fast rules that apply in every circumstance
Exactly this. For every drone and every operator the emergency arising would be different. It's all but impossible to answer every 'what if?' scenario or to make a short list of possibilities. I think the best option is to learn learn as much as you can about making your flight safe, much less likelihood then of something catching you unawares. You'll never have a zero-risk flight but at least you can minimize the possibility of something going wrong.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura