DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

still getting disconnects

keat63

Reactions
Mavic Pro 1.

I'm still suffering randon controller disconnects.
Things I've tried:

Different sd card.
Using the lower USB port.
Numerous new cables.
Different phone.
Phone in flight mode
FCC mode.
Ensuring antenna backs are pinting directly at the drone, adjusting antenna as the distance changes.

They all seem to happen when in close proximity to the drone.
I'm pretty usre at some point i'm going to lose it, so any other ideas please.

Last edited:
Pretty much convinced that I have 2 errors here.
One where the phone disconnects from the controller but I still have control of the craft.
And one where the craft and controller lose connection where RTH is initiated.

Last edited:
Haven’t had the problem myself, you could try using antenna reflectors.
Regards

Can you try your M1P aircraft and controller with your brothers M1P ?
ie, try his drone with your controller, try your drone with his controller.

I tend to think it could a controller problem, try your brothers equipment mixed with yours, see if you can get it to either cease the issue swapping components.
You device disconnect indicates a probable cable issue, so mix in his cable(s) too and see if anything can be eliminated there.

Have you tried flying with wifi connection ?
That might be worth a trial to see if you get the problem still.

You mentioned antenna direction / flats to drone.
I don't think I've ever had to worry about this, fly / face whatever direction, antennas just out / up, never had bad signal . . . this is no further than a usual 600m or so distance, if rarely flying further in the past (1km max for one flight) I have vaguely faced the drone direction with flats out.

I've found the M1P signal pretty much rock solid for general VLOS flying (or just beyond with a strobe etc).

You can fly with litchi if it will connect long enough to load mission after that it will take care of it,s self and return home when it needs to , or try linking a new or another controller

Are your cables USB 2.0 to USB-C? They should be USB 2.0 to micro B. The USB-C connector is bigger inside and fits loose which causes disconnects. The USB 2.0 is very difficult to tell apart from the micro B connector. I had the same problem you are having with disconnects until I finally got the right cable.

I stopped using the short DJI cable in favour of a full sized USB cable out of the bottom.
I've tried at least 3 different USB cables now, and still suffer the occasional disconnect.

Whats strange is they have all been where i'm in close proximity to the craft.

I'd considered trying my brothers kit, but he lives 50 miles away, had he been around the corner, that would have been my first port of call.

Anyhow, it happens that there's a new controller advertised on Ebay, which I won for £40.
Its arrived today, and has not a single mark on it.
Quite clearly has never been used, still has the celophane protectors and is still on an old version 1.3 firmware.
I have it on charge as I type with aview to updating the firmware later today.

Sadly, the weather isn't great for flying today, so I can probably only test it with props off indoors.
Suppose at least the test will be safe :)

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
I stopped using the short DJI cable in favour of a full sized USB cable out of the bottom.
I've tried at least 3 different USB cables now, and still suffer the occasional disconnect.

Whats strange is they have all been where i'm in close proximity to the craft.

I'd considered trying my brothers kit, but he lives 50 miles away, had he been around the corner, that would have been my first port of call.

Anyhow, it happens that there's a new controller advertised on Ebay, which I won for £40.
Its arrived today, and has not a single mark on it.
Quite clearly has never been used, still has the celophane protectors and is still on an old version 1.3 firmware.
I have it on charge as I type with aview to updating the firmware later today.

Sadly, the weather isn't great for flying today, so I can probably only test it with props off indoors.
Suppose at least the test will be safe :)
Not sure if you have solved your problem but apparently this is a known issue. I also had the same issue with my Mavic 3 Cine. The problem seems to be limited to early units, at least that is what I have heard. I received mine in late November 2021. Out of the blue the craft disconnects from the controller. In some cases it was happening within 600 feet of home at 100 feet altitude, clear sky no obstructions, nothing nearby. After disconnecting it pauses then RTH. One time it RTH over 200 feet from home and tried to land over a lake. It reconnected just seconds before landing in the water and I was able to abort the landing.
This drone has flown perfectly for months until now, the only thing I can say is that the problem becomes persistent when I perform master shots. Right after that the drone acts all crazy and the disconnects start.
I did everything DJI told me to do, checked everything, updated everything but didn't help. Randomly it disconnects. I have flown up to 4 or 5 batteries with not a single issue then all of a sudden it starts again.
Well I filled out all the paperwork and just last week sent the drone to CA for service. Within hours of it arriving at DJI I received a phone call from a service rep asking me if I wanted any of the files on the drone. I politely told her no and then we talked a little bit about the drones random behavior. She thanked me and told me to be patient, the Drone would be looked at by the service team. That was Thursday, May 5th. Friday May 6th I received an update that my drone was diagnosed and it was determined that it needed to have the IMU replaced. The email told me that the repair would take a few days, to be patient. Ok, I am patient. Monday May 9th I received another Email that my drone was repaired and was going to Quality Control, then would be shipped. Please be patient. This could take up to 3 days. Two hours later I received another Email, drone was shipped with a tracking number, please be patient.

My take on all of this?
1. DJI Service is actually pretty outstanding. Their concept of being patient is more like my concept of expediting.
2. They didn't test anything. I believe they disassembled my drone, or checked the build specs against my serial number, and knew right off the bat that I had a bad IMU. What I am reading on the forums makes me believe there was a batch of these drones that had a defect. Many people on these forums have had their drones repaired or replaced because of these disconnects and the common thread is we are all the earliest recipients of the drone.
3. DJI has not embraced the American concept of mass recalls for their products. I believe many more of you out there have a hidden defect in your drone and someday it will disconnect for no apparent reason and you will never see it again. I just got lucky.

At one point I considered paying the $230 and refreshing the drone because I had no faith that sending the unit back would solve the problem due to the randomness of the issue. Well let's hope it doesn't happen again. But if it does I will be less concerned over losing my 5k drone. It's a matter of record now that the drone had a problem, DJI repaired it, and it shouldn't have another problem. If it does it again and I lose the drone, I assume DJI will take responsibility and replace it on their dime.

P.S.
My advice is to fill out a service form and send it back. It was not nearly as painful as I expected and it will restore your faith in the drone, knowing that DJI believes they know what your problem is and they fixed it.

Reactions: Gagey52
Since getting the new controller, I've had maybe half a dozen flights, and no disconnects as of yet.
I'm keen to know if the original controller is at fault, but it's scarey when it happens, so I'm just enjoying what I have so far.
I'll maybe keep the second as a spare.

P.S.
My advice is to fill out a service form and send it back. It was not nearly as painful as I expected and it will restore your faith in the drone, knowing that DJI believes they know what your problem is and they fixed it.
Hi nuclearheli, thanks for your post. My issue seems to be exactly like yours was and i have decided to follow your advice and fill out a service form before i end up regretting that last flight i attempt. I just wanted to ask you about the service form and what to choose when asked What is the issue with your product? Do you remember choosing one of the particular options or choosing "Other" and writing your own description? Thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54