DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Still in the learning process

Condition Grounded

Reactions
Here is some footage I took using my new DJI Mavic Mini SE. I am still learning the controls, the camera light settings and requirements, and the courage to let this thing go out farther on each outing. I can honestly say that this is the first drone that I've owned where I feel comfortable sending it out over water, My last drone (Holy Stone) couldn't do 1/4 what this DJI model does, and just that boost in confidence will keep me flying this for years.
I know this is still a little long, and my editing needs to improve, but at least it's a pleasant learning experience.

Holy ! , what an amazing place to fly , you could spend a couple hundred flights on the area alone.
Careful with regard to the signal when you make your way down to that water fall one day. lol

I have hundreds of flights and have yet to even see a waterfall to fly thru ,
Remember the quality of your video is key, dont forget to get some B roll and your in a heavenly place. Wow !

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

Reactions: Condition Grounded
Holy ! , what an amazing place to fly , you could spend a couple hundred flights on the area alone.
Careful with regard to the signal when you make your way down to that water fall one day. lol

I have hundreds of flights and have yet to even see a waterfall to fly thru ,
Remember the quality of your video is key, dont forget to get some B roll and your in a heavenly place. Wow !

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini in the Rain and Capture the Storm.
Thanks! Yeah I live close to many great areas to fly over or near water, and I have a lot of ideas for some interesting videos. As my skill level increases, I'll take some slight risks depending on the size of my stones at the time...

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Some great footage..... as you mentioned, make tighter edits for more impact and to eliminate the shifts in exposure.

Here is some footage I took using my new DJI Mavic Mini SE. I am still learning the controls, the camera light settings and requirements, and the courage to let this thing go out farther on each outing. I can honestly say that this is the first drone that I've owned where I feel comfortable sending it out over water, My last drone (Holy Stone) couldn't do 1/4 what this DJI model does, and just that boost in confidence will keep me flying this for years.
I know this is still a little long, and my editing needs to improve, but at least it's a pleasant learning experience.
Good start. Flying in Cinema / Tripod mode affords slowest speeds for a much smoother video. FlyApp also has settings for YAW that you can play with to slow the "pan" movements where they are much smoother. Or even possibly getting longer sticks or they make some boots that help slow stick movements. I have some same issues with my Air2 and been flying awhile. Really shows up when I've not flown in awhile and getting readjusted to flying the drone and it's sensitivity to stick inputs and shaky hands.

I love flying waterfalls here in Western NC - have like 600 known ones in region and I've only scratched surface. Learning to fly in ATTI mode (no GPS signal lock) is a good thing. If you can fly pretty well in ATTI - you got it made when you have GPS. I have a Mini 1 with old wi-fi type connection and it was not as fun as the Air2 with Occusync and keeping a good signal between drone and RC. Build your skills as flying around water has it's hazards, but so does flying around trees and other obstacles that are hard to see when out a ways. Camera does not always catch those in time.

Overall, I like it. The only thing I'd say about it is the sudden and quick yaw movements. I fully understand you are learning and it will come with time. Another thing that would help would be to set your Yaw Speed and Smoothness settings for each of the Cine, Normal and Sport. If flying in Cine, you can slow things way down.

You're one your way, pilot! Thumbswayup

A good first effort. I'm not sure if I'm duplicating anyone's comments, but if I may offer a few suggestions...

You should now begin to learn some basic "complex" moves. In other words, as you fly forward, get used to moving your gimbal simultaneously to manually track or reveal a subject. Adding or subtracting altitude as you move your drone can add a little more interesting in the footage. Or learn to maintain direction of the drone while you begin to add yaw. Learn to circle objects while manually keeping your camera on the subject. Perhaps even try "crabbing". Don't ignore backwards flight either. Once you get two-stage complex moves under your belt, you can begin to add a third simultaneous movement. You can practice these moves in a park, a parking lot, where you have space for practice. It doesn't have to be scenic mountains or lakes or rivers to get the moves down. It takes practice, but once you start to get it down it will be so rewarding.

Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird