DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stolen drone

posheax

Reactions
Hi all
I'm still a new drone user. I bought a Mavic Air last year but unfortunately it was stolen from my house last night complete with original box and combo bits.
Is it possible to somehow deactivate the drone so next time someone sets it up it won't work?
I should have registration details etc somewhere.
Thanks, I just want to be sure the git who stole it can't use it or make money.

Cheers
Peter

Hi all
I'm still a new drone user. I bought a Mavic Air last year but unfortunately it was stolen from my house last night complete with original box and combo bits.
Is it possible to somehow deactivate the drone so next time someone sets it up it won't work?

Cheers
Peter

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I am pretty that it’s pretty much a brick. The only way they would make any money is to sell it in bits and pieces. You know. For parts. Keep an eye out on eBay. You could probably buy it back. Cheap. Just kidding.

Hi all

Cheers
Peter
Did you register it?

Is the Reg number on the drone?

I would call the law, report it stolen. The SN might be on your purchase order.

It's like stealing a digital camera. Pawn store might take it, check nearby. They will have to get an ID to pawn it, so you can track the thief that way... If they pawn it.

Reactions: sharkface
No .. there's no way for that yo happen.
The local police are your best change.

Hi posheax Welcome to Mavic Pilots.
Sorry to hear about the theft.
Unfortunately I see no reason why the thief can’t use it.
You say it was stolen from your house, will it be covered on your contents insurance ?

DJI registered it, can't they blacklist the unit by serial number? I'd at least give them a call.

DJI registered it, can't they blacklist the unit by serial number? I'd at least give them a call.
No they can't.
DJI have no way to tell when or where any drone is flying or to disable it.
When you go flying, your drone is not reporting back to DJI.

Reactions: Tufargon
I'm not saying they know where any drone is flying. I had to activate mine today and thought well, if I have to activate it to fly they must be able to blacklist the serial so if anyone plugs it in it will ask them to register again or even say the unit is not able to be activated. Was just a thought. I guess it's not possible.

I'm not saying they know where any drone is flying. I had to activate mine today and thought well, if I have to activate it to fly they must be able to blacklist the serial so if anyone plugs it in it will ask them to register again or even say the unit is not able to be activated.
A DJI drone is only activated once.
After that anyone can fly it and the drone is not checking in with DJI.

Reactions: Tufargon
Makes sense. I was just reading more about it. Thanks for the clarification. Thumbswayup

Perhaps DJI has an answer for you. I know that to unlock your drone in restricted areas you have to provide a controller serial number. Perhaps there is somehow they can lock it up so it is unusable? Was it insured for theft?

Just out of curiousity... If one loses your drone while flying, there is a "find my drone" feature in Go5 and DJI Fly. Do you need to be hooked up to the controller to activate Find My Drone?

Perhaps DJI has an answer for you. I know that to unlock your drone in restricted areas you have to provide a controller serial number.
Perhaps there is somehow they can lock it up so it is unusable?
No .. there still isn't.

So, I took the plunge and bought a Mavic Air 2 - good use of insurance money ;). Unfortunately the thief was never found...
I'll put the L plates back on now and go learn how to use it..... hopefully I'll have some decent posts in the future.
Thanks all for the previous feedback Thumbswayup

Reactions: Uncle Pete
Hi all

Cheers
Peter
DJI wont shut it off for you. Ive tried. They will beable to fly all they want but they might not be able to upgrade the firmware. It sucks, I know. Crime does pay

I'm not saying they know where any drone is flying. I had to activate mine today and thought well, if I have to activate it to fly they must be able to blacklist the serial so if anyone plugs it in it will ask them to register again or even say the unit is not able to be activated. Was just a thought. I guess it's not possible.
Facebook seemed to know where and when I flew my mavic air. Idk if it was from files on my phone or got it elsewhere. Maybe you could ask facebook for all the files they have on ya. Its alot. a lil scary even

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest