DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stop RC from Charging Google Pixel?

Ramacher

Reactions
I'm using a Pixel 3 with my Mavic Mini and when the RC is plugged into the phone, it charges the phone while connected. At first this sounded great but the RC remote battery is draining way too fast. I searched and found posts back from 2 years ago and the solution everyone is recommending is to plug the phone into the bottom USB port on the RC but the Mavic Mini doesn't have a bottom USB port. Anyone got any other suggestions I can try?

This is a known issue with android devices and the mavic controllers. Its does this on the Minis big brothers too. The only fix for this is to get an iPhone or iPad. Not sure why DJI wont fix this!

Reactions: Ramacher
This is a known issue with android devices and the mavic controllers. Its does this on the Minis big brothers too. The only fix for this is to get an iPhone or iPad. Not sure why DJI wont fix this!

Ok, I was thinking there might be some setting either on my phone or the RC that I'm missing.

I just found an app where you can set a battery % limit for the phone to stop accepting a charge after that limit. It requires to use a rooted phone. My Pixel 3 isn't rooted but I do have an original Pixel that's a backup phone that is rooted. I was actually thinking of using it as a dedicated Mavic phone since the original pixel has unlimited photo/video backup to google photos at full quality/size.

Reactions: jimlips
someone posted on the DJI forum and stated that Android need a small charge in order to be used as a USB device. my android phone or tablet always got a small charge via my MP1, MP2, Spark, Air, and Mini RC didnt matter whether it was the side port or the bottom USB... actually now that i think on it, i think my I1 RC also charged my androind stuff

only way is to go Apple

DJI probably can't fix it because Android standard API doesn't have that function. Some manufacturers have added it to their devices, but DJI has to go by standards.
Also USB standards require host provide 500mA. Some Androids might not even look at the USB if there's no power going to it.

If you have an issue, blame Google, who is the author of Android, for not including power control to their API.

Reactions: Matto1981
DJI probably can't fix it because Android standard API doesn't have that function. Some manufacturers have added it to their devices, but DJI has to go by standards.
Also USB standards require host provide 500mA. Some Androids might not even look at the USB if there's no power going to it.

If you have an issue, blame Google, who is the author of Android, for not including power control to their API.

So it's not as easy as snipping the VCC (red) wire in the Micro USB to USB C cable? I may buy a spare cable off amazon and try that. I have thumb drives that I plug into my phones USB C port that are detected and I can transfer files and those don't supply any power. Also android does have an option to either charge device plugged in, or charge from device plugged in but no option I select changes the charging behaviour when the mini's remote is plugged it. I feel like this can be solved just by a cable that's wired differently...

Edit: Found a data only Micro USB to USB C cable on amazon!

Cutting V+ may work, or device may ignore USB for not sensing any voltage.
If voltage sense is needed, adding a resistor to limit current may work. 500 ohms equates 10mA at a dead short so less when device resistance is added. That might trigger device to not change due to insufficient power. 1k ohms might work too and more easily found.

I'm using a Pixel 3 with my Mavic Mini and when the RC is plugged into the phone, it charges the phone while connected. At first this sounded great but the RC remote battery is draining way too fast. I searched and found posts back from 2 years ago and the solution everyone is recommending is to plug the phone into the bottom USB port on the RC but the Mavic Mini doesn't have a bottom USB port. Anyone got any other suggestions I can try?
This solves the problem.
I am able to both connect my 2A power bank to my phone and Mini MC at the same time. This gives me a phone charge, (with a bright screen this is useful), and data to and from the MC. I have attached pictures. I am using a micro b, not the supplied square one, to the MC. I am still pursuing supplying power to the MC as well but need a new data + power Y. The Power + data cables are noticeably thicker. See: Mini USB cables??

Cutting V+ may work, or device may ignore USB for not sensing any voltage.
If voltage sense is needed, adding a resistor to limit current may work. 500 ohms equates 10mA at a dead short so less when device resistance is added. That might trigger device to not change due to insufficient power. 1k ohms might work too and more easily found.

Bunch of cables laying around (heck who don't now days!) and I had some 560 ohm resistors on hand so I tried it.

560ohm.jpg

Simply snipping the wire didn't work, as suspected resulted in a connection error. Temp connection trigger the data flow didn't work out either.

So far seems to work with the 560ohm resistor in-line just fine.
While I didn't fly it I powered the AC up with it to check and worked right down the line as expected, and without changing the "not charging" status.

So I was right. Must have some power to enable data but can be current limited.

Yea I taped it up and threw it in my box, I'll test it more tomorrow when I get a chance to do actual flights with it.
Interested also to see if it works good, based on what I seen so far thinking it will, but see if it works equally well with all three of my MDs.

This solves the problem.
I am able to both connect my 2A power bank to my phone and Mini MC at the same time. This gives me a phone charge, (with a bright screen this is useful), and data to and from the MC. I have attached pictures. I am using a micro b, not the supplied square one, to the MC. I am still pursuing supplying power to the MC as well but need a new data + power Y. The Power + data cables are noticeably thicker. See: Mini USB cables??

So you're using a powerbank & Y-Cable to charge your phone from the powerbank while plugged into the RC? I thought of that but feel like that would get annoying.

Bunch of cables laying around (heck who don't now days!) and I had some 560 ohm resistors on hand so I tried it.

View attachment 86038

Simply snipping the wire didn't work, as suspected resulted in a connection error. Temp connection trigger the data flow didn't work out either.

So far seems to work with the 560ohm resistor in-line just fine.
While I didn't fly it I powered the AC up with it to check and worked right down the line as expected, and without changing the "not charging" status.

Awesome, thank you. The cable I purchased claiming to be "Data only" should be arriving today. If it still charges the phone while plugged into the RC then I will be doing this.

So you're using a powerbank & Y-Cable to charge your phone from the powerbank while plugged into the RC? I thought of that but feel like that would get annoying.

Awesome, thank you. The cable I purchased claiming to be "Data only" should be arriving today. If it still charges the phone while plugged into the RC then I will be doing this.
Could you please link to that cable if it works for you? :)
Thanks

Yea not working very well real world test, iffy at best with the phone shown in the picture, works doesn't charge the phone but suffers random disconnects.

Tried a tablet, it jumps back and forth from "not charging" to "charging" briefly every few seconds and never connecting to the RC.

Perhaps a higher vaule resistor, next jump up for me what I have on hand would be 1.5K ohm. Would take various versions of the cable "device" dependent perhaps?

For the little the device takes based on my experience so far from the RC its just not worth the bother.
I suppose if someone has several flight batteries, flies em back to back and constantly, it be worth doing what it take to stop it but not for 3 or 4. An ios probably be the simpler option beyond that!

I had one near that 500ohm mark on hand so thought I'd try it, looked good but failed in the end.

It gets somewhat close with 3 batteries.
According to manual, connection to iOS lasts over 4 hours. Above 1 hr with Android. I wouldn't think it should not be that drastic since max USB power is 500mA, which leaves 2100mAH left for the remote for the first hour.
If iOS lasts over 4 hours, then remote uses 650mA. Remote should last at least 2 hours with Android with those numbers.

It gets somewhat close with 3 batteries.
According to manual, connection to iOS lasts over 4 hours. Above 1 hr with Android. I wouldn't think it should not be that drastic since max USB power is 500mA, which leaves 2100mAH left for the remote for the first hour.
If iOS lasts over 4 hours, then remote uses 650mA. Remote should last at least 2 hours with Android with those numbers.
i know that it did not last that much when i was using standard remote with my mavic. as all my phones were android i had to use an ipad - pixel 2 was draining remote no matter what and it would go to half bar charge in 30min or so. then i got smart controller and never got back to those issues.

From Android 6.0 onwards File transfer is disabled by default when a cable is connected to the device, mainly due to malicious USB hubs which pretend to be normal charging ports, but instead copy data from your device whilst charging.
To enable File Transfer Mode
  1. Turn on your device and connect it to your RC
  2. Unlock your device and open the notification labelled USB charging this device
  3. Select Transfer Files from the menu that appears.
    3]

Could you please link to that cable if it works for you? :)
Thanks

New cable still charges my Pixel 3 when plugged into the Remote Controller :/ good thing though is with this new cable I don't have to remove the case/bumper I have on my phone.

My next option could be this micro USB to USB A cable that has a toggle switch to for data transfer or charge. I could use that with the female USB A to USB C dongle/adapter that comes with the pixels or reverse engineer it and see what needs to be done to modify the shorter cables to not charge while plugged in (if it actually doesn't charge the device when in data only mode).

Edit: Fixed link

Edite 2: Turns out that cable also charges when the toggle is set to "Data".

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeisfun
From Android 6.0 onwards File transfer is disabled by default when a cable is connected to the device, mainly due to malicious USB hubs which pretend to be normal charging ports, but instead copy data from your device whilst charging.
To enable File Transfer Mode
  1. Turn on your device and connect it to your RC
  2. Unlock your device and open the notification labelled USB charging this device
  3. Select Transfer Files from the menu that appears.
    3]

Huh? I'm not talking about file transfer and I have no issues with the phone/app communicating with the remote control.

I've tried every option in the "USB Preferences" page when is connected. It tries to switch to other options then goes back to the "No data transfer" option and continues to charge the phone. I even changed the default USB behavior in developer options and same thing, stays in "No data transfer" and continues to charge the phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191120-182635~2.png
    Screenshot_20191120-182635~2.png
    128.5 KB · Views: 11
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy