DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stopped by campus police and told I can't fly over campus, even though i had LAANC authorization

merk

Reactions
(this is Michigan)
I've been stopped by the police once or twice before just asking what I was doing and nothing else beyond a 2 minute conversation happened.

Today however I was flying around a university that is also within controlled airspace. I have a part 107 license and i applied for and received LAANC authorization to fly within the area.

About 10-15 minutes into the flight an officer knocked on my car door asking about why I was flying and where I was flying. Apparently the university has it's own tracking system and could actually track the flight path of the drone. I was not standing on university property. But parts of the flight path took the drone over university property.

My understanding was only the FAA could tell you where you can and can not fly your drone. I even mentioned that, politely, to the officer and he acknowledged the issue but arguing the law was beyond his pay grade and he was just there to enforce the ordinances the university had.

I wasn't about to argue with the cop, since no matter what the law actually is, it's an argument that wouldn't have ended well for me.

This is what's on the university's page regarding drone usage:

Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs), commonly known as drones, are not permitted to operate, take off or land from, on or over University of Michigan property.

U-M property is defined as any building or property owned or controlled by the university.

The law is described in Article XVI in the U-M Regents' Ordinance.

Violations of the ordinance can result in a civil infraction, misdemeanor, fine and/or impoundment of the drone.

Am I incorrect about only the FAA controlling airspace?

Reactions: pdipasquale
You are correct. The university has no jurisdiction over the airspace.

Reactions: GFields
You are correct. The University has no jurisdiction over airspace. That said, if you are a member of the University, especially a student, then they probably can enforce rules on activities.
Nope. i'm not affiliated with the university in any way.

Would you happen to know of any legal document I could show to them to show they don't have any legal authority? I still wouldn't argue with the police, but it would be nice to at least have it on hand and show them.

Thanks

Nope. i'm not affiliated with the university in any way.

Would you happen to know of any legal document I could show to them to show they don't have any legal authority? I still wouldn't argue with the police, but it would be nice to at least have it on hand and show them.

Thanks
No - I'd just call the local FSDO or the FAA sUAS help line in DC and report it. Was this campus LE or city?

I would go in person and ask to talk to a supervisor or the head of the unit. I would do some research and find some quotes from authoritative sources like the FAA website. I would politely explain that you are flying legally and that you didn't want to face arrest and the hassle of a lawsuit that would be to nobodies benefit. I think if you can convince them that they are at fault and about to face a potential lawsuit you might get satisfaction. If you had a laptop or tablet and could throw several links up that were easy to see and convincing it might go well. Let us know what transpires but as others have said, you are completely within your rights as long as your launch area is good. Be very careful you are doing your flying 100% in compliance in this kind of situation, in sight, 400ft or within the parameters of the authorization, etc etc.

I would go in person and ask to talk to a supervisor or the head of the unit. I would do some research and find some quotes from authoritative sources like the FAA website. I would politely explain that you are flying legally and that you didn't want to face arrest and the hassle of a lawsuit that would be to nobodies benefit. I think if you can convince them that they are at fault and about to face a potential lawsuit you might get satisfaction. If you had a laptop or tablet and could throw several links up that were easy to see and convincing it might go well. Let us know what transpires but as others have said, you are completely within your rights as long as your launch area is good. Be very careful you are doing your flying 100% in compliance in this kind of situation, in sight, 400ft or within the parameters of the authorization, etc etc.
I did send an email to the campus office in charge of their drone ordinance explaining that the FAA is the only one able to enforce airspace restrictions, although I didn't include any links. That would have been a good idea. I'll wait and see what, if any, response I get back from them.

I few random thoughts...

While I don't know the geography of where you were flying (or the university for that matter), with a student population of almost 45,000, could authorities site the potential danger of flying over people?

Also, you mention you were flying under Part 107. It appears that UM restricts photography to non-commercial use. It does appear that they make exceptions (with restrictions), but they request 1 week advance notice.

Their website mentions that the FAA prohibits drone flights within 3NM of the stadium during NCAA football games. It also states that you can apply for a waiver.

Be careful out there...

I few random thoughts...

While I don't know the geography of where you were flying (or the university for that matter), with a student population of almost 45,000, could authorities site the potential danger of flying over people?

Also, you mention you were flying under Part 107. It appears that UM restricts photography to non-commercial use. It does appear that they make exceptions (with restrictions), but they request 1 week advance notice.

Their website mentions that the FAA prohibits drone flights within 3NM of the stadium during NCAA football games. It also states that you can apply for a waiver.

Be careful out there...
No university can restrict photography by a drone pilot. Period. They could stop you from launching on their property but that's it. There are laws that limit photographers commercial use of images but the Univ. has nothing to do with that with regard to a drone pilot. Odds are no individual would be distinguishable so there would be no problem if that's the case, regardless.

Reactions: Sully53
They could certainly be concerned about it, and they could report flights that they regarded as dangerous to the FAA, or even get local LE directly involved if there were an immediate threat. What they cannot do is try to enforce a blanket restriction on airspace over which they have no authority.
No university can restrict photography by a drone pilot. Period. They could stop you from launching on their property but that's it. There are laws that limit photographers commercial use of images but the Univ. has nothing to do with that with regard to a drone pilot. Odds are no individual would be distinguishable so there would be no problem if that's the case, regardless.
Right - they can obviously place restrictions on photography on campus if the photographer is on their land, but not aerial photography from above the campus.

It sounds to me that, just like various local authorities that have tried to do this, they are simply ignorant of the applicable laws.

"an officer knocked on my car door".

While you may have been flying VLOS, how can you be aware of what's going on around you sat in a car? Sounds like you didn't know the police were there until they knocked. What else important didn't you see?

"an officer knocked on my car door".

While you may have been flying VLOS, how can you be aware of what's going on around you sat in a car? Sounds like you didn't know the police were there until they knocked. What else important didn't you see?
well, if i was not in the car and staring at the drone, I wouldn't have noticed them either. It was cold out and I was sitting in my car while the drone was within LOS of me and the car.

Last edited:
I few random thoughts...

Be careful out there...
I supposed they can cite any potential danger they want. But if the FAA says it's ok to fly over the campus, then i don't think it legally matters what they cite.

I specifically asked the cop while he was there if it was ok for me to photograph some of the buildings on the ground and he said that was fine. That's kind of ironic since i think they are legally allowed to prevent people from making commercial use of images of their property, but he said it was ok (even though it appears their own rules say it's not).

I was aware of the restrictions regarding the stadium, but there was no game going on. I think I mentioned in the original post that I applied for and received LAANC approval to fly in that area.

I'm going to wait and see what sort of reply back I get from their office, assuming they bother to reply.

well, if i was not in the car and staring the drone, I wouldn't have noticed them either. It was cold out and I was sitting my car while the drone was within LOS of me and the car.
If you'd heard anything, you'd have an unrestricted view if you glanced round to see what it was. Buy a coat & gloves.

I live in Canada & if someone flow a drone around my house without asking first, I think I could argue invasion of privacy. But having flow drones commercially since 2012, i wonder why you didn’t go to the institution first, explain what you wanted to do. Having been in a similar situation a number of times, I’ve never had anyone refuse, in fact, au contraire every person/institution I’ve consulted has been interested and asked if they could help. I’ve always provided copies of some photographs as a thank you afterwards. Laws don’t cover individuals sensitivities very well. I would suggest treat them as you would wish to be treated. Confrontation usually goes down rabbit holes, a little interaction, friendly exchange & it could all turn out differently, everyone is happy. Just my thoughts from years of experience as a commercial photographer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000