DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stopping the controller from charging my android device

horesham

Reactions
A comment on youtube from an American user simply says "just need to replace orginal DJI USB cable by USB data only cable "

Does that make sense, has anybody tried it ?

On Samsung Android phones you can slide down the top menue and choose only data transfer. After that my Note10+ dosen't charge while connected to the remote controller.

Other cabels dosen't work. There a charging cables which dosen't allow data transfer and dosen't work with the rc.

and datacabels who charge and transfer cabels.

Reactions: Bramavic2
Am I right in thinking that an ipad mini connected to the controllers usb 'a' port (bottom of the controller) can be switched to no usb charging ?

To summarize:-

1. With the controller connected to my android tablet (bottom usb A to android micro USB) , the controller charges the android.
2. If I connect my android tablet to the controller using the micro usb to the controller's micro usb, the tablet charges the controller. Continuing to charge that way, the controller emits a repeating tone when I assume it's fully charged and to stop this you have to turn on the drone following which, it does connect and shows the solid green light as confirmation. Think I'd better go for option 1. and buy a slim battery pack to support charging the controller via the micro usb - Any thoughts ??

I use an ipad mini and never had it charging the controller, i think the default is charging disabled and ive never turned it on.

To summarize:-

1. With the controller connected to my android tablet (bottom usb A to android micro USB) , the controller charges the android.
2. If I connect my android tablet to the controller using the micro usb to the controller's micro usb, the tablet charges the controller. Continuing to charge that way, the controller emits a repeating tone when I assume it's fully charged and to stop this you have to turn on the drone following which, it does connect and shows the solid green light as confirmation. Think I'd better go for option 1. and buy a slim battery pack to support charging the controller via the micro usb - Any thoughts ??
Yup - I agree that's exactly what I get even when I switch to data only! It does mean I can only foy 2.5 batteries before my controller is dead.

On Samsung Android phones you can slide down the top menue and choose only data transfer. After that my Note10+ dosen't charge while connected to the remote controller.

Other cabels dosen't work. There a charging cables which dosen't allow data transfer and dosen't work with the rc.

Congratulations ... It is the only one in the forum that has achieved it so far ... (there are a few threads in the forum about this issue ...) since in Android if the power connector does not deliver, it does not exchange data either ..
If you have really come up with the solution ... please make an exhaustive explanation of the steps to take.
Thank you..

A comment on youtube from an American user simply says "just need to replace orginal DJI USB cable by USB data only cable "

Does that make sense, has anybody tried it ?
I think this is correct except it is neigh impossible to find a data only cable that’s usable and affordable. Lots of charge only cables and adapters but I could not find a single data only cable with the correct usb fittings.

I think this is correct except it is neigh impossible to find a data only cable that’s usable and affordable. Lots of charge only cables and adapters but I could not find a single data only cable with the correct usb fittings.
Says above in the post that it doesn’t work. Android being open source it is possible that this is device specific to the proprietary manufacturer mods to the Android system.

Reactions: charliej
The question is in the structure of the USB in Android ... If the USB connection does not detect energy exchange, it will not perform data exchange, even being OTG cable .. While in IOS you can turn on / off the power bank function of the remote RC; In Android this possibility does not exist.
Something that DJI engineers should solve (it is known that DJI manufactures always thinking about IOS), so that Android users stop being discriminated against, since they have paid exactly the same amount of money, but do not have the same benefits .. Subrealist

Congratulations ... It is the only one in the forum that has achieved it so far ... (there are a few threads in the forum about this issue ...) since in Android if the power connector does not deliver, it does not exchange data either ..
If you have really come up with the solution ... please make an exhaustive explanation of the steps to take.
Thank you..
As @MavicPilotGermany stated it seems Samsung phones can indeed just turn charging off. I´ve seen a J7 phone user do that today.

I'm using a Samsung galaxy note 9 and I don't seem to have that setting? Am I missing something? Screenshot_20200131-090451_One%20UI%20Home.jpegScreenshot_20200131-090429_One%20UI%20Home.jpeg

Some samsung devices, I tried it on my Tab and it continues to charge regardless what you select.
Purchased a slim battery pack, used velcro to hold it in place behind my tablet connected all and it works
(for the battery pack, you'll need to purchase a 30 cm cable for usb to micro usb controller connection. Data transfer continues via the controller base usb to the micro usb tablet connection

My Huawei phone has a developer option [Settings > System > Developer Options > Always prompt when connecting to USB] ... With this switch set ON, the phone always pops a 3-option menu each time I connect the controller to the phone. I just choose the data transfer option and the charge function doesn't happen.

Purchased a slim battery pack, used velcro to hold it in place behind my tablet connected all and it works
(for the battery pack, you'll need to purchase a 30 cm cable for usb to micro usb controller connection. Data transfer continues via the controller base usb to the micro usb tablet connection

Thanks for the tip. To be honest my tablet doesn’t suck remotes battery at all (even thought it says it’s charging). 3 batteries later I’m still at about 50-60% left on the RC. So it’s not an issue. Just more of a nuisance.

My Huawei phone has a developer option [Settings > System > Developer Options > Always prompt when connecting to USB] ... With this switch set ON, the phone always pops a 3-option menu each time I connect the controller to the phone. I just choose the data transfer option and the charge function doesn't happen.

Yeah I got that option too. Doesn’t change the charging part though. I guess it all depends on the device more so than anything else.

That's a difficult one then - with all connected my slim battery pack is definitely charging the controller
Thanks for the tip. To be honest my tablet doesn’t suck remotes battery at all (even thought it says it’s charging). 3 batteries later I’m still at about 50-60% left on the RC. So it’s not an issue. Just more of a nuisance.

My tablet must be a thirsty one as it takes approx 50% out of the controller after 3 batteries - if I treat myself to battery 4 and i'm far from home just might spoil the day

That's a difficult one then - with all connected my slim battery pack is definitely charging the controller
My tablet must be a thirsty one as it takes approx 50% out of the controller after 3 batteries - if I treat myself to battery 4 and i'm far from home just might spoil the day
Have you turned off WiFi and Bluetooth? If you leave these on they will suck a lot of battery ...

Reactions: technoflyer12
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54