DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Storing Mavic in Dry Cabinet?

makoy

Reactions
Is storing the Mavic in the dry cabinet a good practice? If yes, what dry cab settings? If no, what is the best way to store/keep it?

Reactions: plainman007
Is this a serious question??
If yes: store it where you store your other gadgets like phone, camera, TV set, etc.
If all this is in a special cabinet, add the Mavic (do you live in Thailand at the beach and without AC?).

Mine stays in my backpack when I am not using it and it goes pretty much everywhere I go.

Reactions: makoy
Is this a serious question??
If yes: store it where you store your other gadgets like phone, camera, TV set, etc.
If all this is in a special cabinet, add the Mavic (do you live in Thailand at the beach and without AC?).

Yes it is. To begin with you don't even know what a dry cabinet is or what it does. I store my camera in this special cabinet to keep humidity stable to avoid growth of fungus. Putting my mavic in it can be good for the camera, but not sure about the lubricants on the motors, hence my post.

I know what it is. And I would have one if I lived in a super humid place.
That's why my answer is still valid: put the Mavic where you put your other stuff. There is no lubricant in the motors.

Is storing the Mavic in the dry cabinet a good practice? If yes, what dry cab settings? If no, what is the best way to store/keep it?
Great idea, I always keep mine in one. I prefer the "Colorado, USA" brand.

Makoy's question is quite valid.

I store my drone and even the remote etc in an airtight gasket sealed transparent box with blue silica gel in its own air tight miniature box (this is how i store my dslr bodies and lenses too). Lets in both LIGHT and the silica keeps the sealed box DRY inside. I have a small thumbtip size digital hygrometer which i drop into the box occasionally and i can see the RH instantly dropping to 35-40. Open the lid and you can see the RH meter jump to 45-50 in air-conditioned room, other rooms would have worse of a difference.

Since the Silica gel is the BLUE INDICATIVE type, it visually turns to pink letting you know its absorbed the max of water that it can and needs regeneration or replacement. I dont bother regenerating as replacement itself is cheap. My Sigma DSLR lenses which i have not touched for a year are still having the gel in blue color and the RH is about 35 inside the box FOR A YEAR !!!. Of-course your storage box has to be proper airtight but the tiny bottle or capsule containing the gel doesn't have to be super airtight, in fact it shouldn't be, some kind of transparent pill bottles etc should do well. And if its transparent then you can see the indicative gel color change without having to open the main box and the pill box so you can replace them when they have turned pink.

You guys can store drones like this, or at least store them in your cupboards etc which are in air-conditioned rooms where you also use the air-con often, such as bedrooms. Air-conditioned rooms are effectively dehumidified by the air-con removing most of the moisture in the air. If you live in tropical humid climates this is more important else no only your drones camera could develop fungus on the optics but you'll notice small things such as miniature screws rusting, which means even internal parts could corrode due to the moisture.

You can vary the amount of silica gel to start with and see what RH is ideal and then find a pill bottle etc which is ideal for that quantity. More silica will dry out the box faster and more stronger which is sometimes not ideal for lenses etc because they might dry out the lens mechanism lubricants.

So if you want to store and keep your drone always looking new, this is the way to go.

So id also like to hear from other members who are sure the MAVIC air and such drones have no lubricants in the moving parts or motors.

Egika says none. But still, keep your comments coming as id like to hear from all of you who are sure the drone doesn't have any wet or dry lubricants inside them.

Last edited:
You mean as in storing them with 60% charge or are you talking about storing them in Silica Gel (dry conditions) or you mean not to store them in dry conditions.

No electronics or batteries should ever be stored in a humid environment. The method you keep them dry is your choice. I live in Arizona and we mostly run single digit except in our monsoon season. I use electric dehumidifiers as needed

The link took you to a thread and the second post by Msinger talks about battery storage. That is what I was referring to.

No electronics or batteries should ever be stored in a humid environment. The method you keep them dry is your choice. I live in Arizona and we mostly run single digit except in our monsoon season. I use electric dehumidifiers as needed

The link took you to a thread and the second post by Msinger talks about battery storage. That is what I was referring to.

So its ok to store the batteries also in my silca gel air-tight box right ? I mean considering that i have humid weather here. My fear is will the 35RH level dry the battery chemical out or something :).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada