DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Storing Mavic Pro in a car all day long during the cold?

black_magic100

Reactions
Is it okay to keep my mavic pro/accessories in a car all day for 7 hours while I am skiing in Colorado. I doubt they will allow me to bring it on the slopes in Vail and our place is like an hour away, but I still would like to bring it. As long as I warm up the batteries before flight assuming I do fly I will be okay correct? No potential long term damage? Temperatures are around 30-40 degrees F

I store my drones in my car all the time however I am very cautious about leaving batteries as I do not want to expose them to extreme cold or heat. It may be overkill but I try my best not to expose the batteries to any extremes of temperature. I have found that this enhances overall battery life.

I was given this recommendation some years ago and I have always tried to follow it.

“The recommended storage temperature for most batteries is 15°C (59°F); the extreme allowable temperature is –40°C to 50°C (–40°Cto 122°F) for most chemistries. Batteries should be stored in a dry and cool place, but should avoid freezing. Batteries freeze more easily if in a discharged state.”

Just my two cents

Reactions: JMF
Is it okay to keep my mavic pro/accessories in a car all day for 7 hours while I am skiing in Colorado. I doubt they will allow me to bring it on the slopes in Vail and our place is like an hour away, but I still would like to bring it. As long as I warm up the batteries before flight assuming I do fly I will be okay correct? No potential long term damage? Temperatures are around 30-40 degrees F
Is there seriously any snow in CO? If you find any send it my way;)! -CF

Reactions: ksmusa
In the mountains yes there is a ton.
In the 4corners area we have like zilch (very little in the mountains even) rotten year to have ski passes at our local resort... Hope you have fun up there though, glad some parts got the snow:)! -CF

Yea my friends are there right now and they said it's going to snow heavy monday. I think your definition of snow and mine are much different. I'm from cincinnati and we've had almost no snow this year

I store my drones in my car all the time however I am very cautious about leaving batteries as I do not want to expose them to extreme cold or heat. It may be overkill but I try my best not to expose the batteries to any extremes of temperature. I have found that this enhances overall battery life.

I was given this recommendation some years ago and I have always tried to follow it.

“The recommended storage temperature for most batteries is 15°C (59°F); the extreme allowable temperature is –40°C to 50°C (–40°Cto 122°F) for most chemistries. Batteries should be stored in a dry and cool place, but should avoid freezing. Batteries freeze more easily if in a discharged state.”

Just my two cents
Okay so keeping them in the car for a day really isn't going to hurt them long-term it sounds like. 30 degrees outside isn't to bad considering I have a thick dslr backpack and it will be inside of a car.

There's no problem using a battery in cold weather, other than the loss in performance (which you'll probably have to consider depending on what you intend to use it for)
You should never charge the battery below 32°F. It will permanently damage it, so no charging in the (cold) car. If you're interested in the details of why that is, you can look it up here. I also wrote a post about flying in cold weather, if it can be of interest.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun