DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stranded hikers & injured dog rescued THANKS to paramedic's personal drone!

Yoda007

Reactions
Two hikers and their injured dog got lost along an unbeaten wooded path in New Mexico. Interestingly enough they were rescued with the help of a life-saving eye in the sky -- the personal drone of a paramedic.

According to the Bernalillo County Fire Department, the trio were lost in Otero Canyon Saturday afternoon; as per their 5 p.m. 911 call, and a rescue team was dispatched to search the area.

After getting disoriented themselves, the five man search team was able to find the trio after about an hour, thanks to the use of a drone!

Apparently the firefighter/paramedic had been testing it for a commander the morning the incident occurred; talk about perfect timing.

After locating the trio, the search team then had to carry the 14 year old 60 pound dog out of the canyon; taking turns along the way.

DRONES ARE MORE OF A BLESSING THAN SOME WOULD LIKE TO ADMIT :)

A helicopter could have been used too but, seeing good drone news is always good.

PSA- bring more water than you think you might need when hiking.

“It’s better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it”

-George Ellis / Franz Kafka

Image1526575048.770006.jpg

Reactions: Chip and JSKCKNIT
That's not quite what happened. BCFD personnel located the subjects but then could not find their way out either. The drone was sent in to find the searchers and guide them out. A good result either way, but an example of why the local agencies are supposed to call NM State SAR for these events rather than going it alone without the necessary equipment or expertise.

Reactions: Yoda007
This could have ended in disaster. He admitted that he was not officially sanctioned or trained to use his personal hobby drone for this. I hope the authorities follow up to make sure that he was properly registered with the FAA and the number was affixed to the quad copter as per the rules. While they are at it, they need to check the flight log and make sure he was not flying outside line of sight or over 400 feet. If he was, he needs to be cited am fined. I’m sure there were other hikers in the area. I hope we didn’t disturb anybody with the buzzing noise or cause any eagles to abandon their nests not to mention spooking any other wildlife that happened to be in the area. As these drones are prone to start wildfires or crash down on people’s heads killing them, he is very lucky he didn’t cause a disaster that would’ve put him in jail.If people continue to act recklessly like this it’s only going to bring more laws and regulations down upon us.

That's not quite what happened. BCFD personnel located the subjects but then could not find their way out either. The drone was sent in to find the searchers and guide them out. A good result either way, but an example of why the local agencies are supposed to call NM State SAR for these events rather than going it alone without the necessary equipment or expertise.

Agreed. Agreed. 0:) sorry for the miscommunication

This could have ended in disaster. He admitted that he was not officially sanctioned or trained to use his personal hobby drone for this. I hope the authorities follow up to make sure that he was properly registered with the FAA and the number was affixed to the quad copter as per the rules. While they are at it, they need to check the flight log and make sure he was not flying outside line of sight or over 400 feet. If he was, he needs to be cited am fined. I’m sure there were other hikers in the area. I hope we didn’t disturb anybody with the buzzing noise or cause any eagles to abandon their nests not to mention spooking any other wildlife that happened to be in the area. As these drones are prone to start wildfires or crash down on people’s heads killing them, he is very lucky he didn’t cause a disaster that would’ve put him in jail.If people continue to act recklessly like this it’s only going to bring more laws and regulations down upon us.

I’m sorry but this comment seems like a waste of everyone’s time. And to think. I’ve read it twice just to take in the true absurd nature of your attitude, if those were your children out there, or your significant other, would you feel the same ? As for your other comment regarding DISASTER, please point me to some evidence of this actually happening. Ever. Death by drone to the head ? As for disturbing people with the buzzing, seriously? Let me guess, you call 911 on the occasional low flying military choppers, planes, or police choppers don’t you? For disturbing you in the park? If you don’t want to be disturbed, stay inside- unless you think you’re going to control the volume in everyone’s voices or cars. Which I’d imagine you’d call the cops on them too. All the whining about the buzzing never really existed before the drones, like for actual buzzards, cicadas, or the like. It’s so annoying to see so many stuck up panties in a bunch complaints for the slightest of occurrences. Lives were saved. Yet you feel the need to complain about people being disturbed. Seriously? Troll much? Rules are to be followed but c’mon, lighten up. You remind me of the person who, on here, who suggested missing drone batteries in the wild will destroy the planet. Start by cleaning the landfills of all the batteries that weren’t recycled before you start complaining about the potential future problems if you’re really about that life. Sorry for the rant but that comment was too annoying to overlook thrice.

I took it as Droning on being sarcastic and rather humorous!! His comments are exactly how we would be treated if 'caught' doing the very same thing by the very same authorities!
DING DING DING!! We have a winner ;-)

These things and MORE are constantly being cited on this site as reasons to admonish and bash fellow enthusiasts. It’s getting old and people are realizing how ridiculous this all sounds. I just shined a light on it.

Reactions: pyromedic1976
Yoda007, I apologize for the sarcasm

Oh..... and I couldn’t have said it better than you did in your post. Thank you!

Awww mannn, I thought u were dead serious lmfaoooo. Now that I reread it, ur definitely on point for all the sarcasm there lol. Sorry for my reply. I apologize. Now I feel like a fool lolll
My bad! 0:)

I took it as Droning on being sarcastic and rather humorous!! His comments are exactly how we would be treated if 'caught' doing the very same thing by the very same authorities!

At least in the US, it would only be the FAA who might object on the basis of it being a non-recreational flight by an uncertified pilot. In practice, in relation to search and rescue, the FAA has advised SAR volunteers that they need to be Part 107 certified and requested non-certified teams who advertised their services to cease those activities. I'm unaware of anyone being "caught" or prosecuted.

Nice sarcasm lol, too bad there isn't a sarcasm font.[emoji12]

These things and MORE are constantly being cited on this site as reasons to admonish and bash fellow enthusiasts. It’s getting old and people are realizing how ridiculous this all sounds. I just shined a light on it.
Man, I just about deleted my account. hahahahahaha!

Brother, you just won the Nobel Prize for Sarcasm (totally brand new category) and Academy Award - Best Sarcastic Performance.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada