DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange behaviour returning to home

Peter Barnes

Reactions
I nearly always use RTH to get my Mavic to come back. I just love how it does it so accurately, and up until the other day, it has always been perfect. It was just after dawn, and I was between the Mavic and the sun as it headed home. When it was close to overhead instead of descending from the 35metres it was at, it went up, until it reached the max altitude I had set on it. Was the sun a possible issue here? I have had it in normal flight when the object avoidance kicks in when the drone is facing the sun, but this time, in RTH, there was no warning, or maybe I didn't notice it as the low battery signal was also going off. It was all a bit scary, as the battery was really low by then, and there was a 45m limit on altitude as there was a helipad not far away. I got it back by turning off RTH and bringing it down manually.

When it was close to overhead instead of descending from the 35metres it was at, it went up, until it reached the max altitude I had set on it. Was the sun a possible issue here?
Your Mavic was probably trying to climb over an obstacle (the sun). Since the sun kept shining into the front sensors, your Mavic probably kept trying to climb over it. In other flight logs I've researched, the flight path looked like a set of stairs when this occurred (the Mavic moved forward a bit, climbed, moved forward a bit, climbed, etc.). If interested, you can upload and view your TXT flight log online here.

Reactions: Peter Barnes
Quick question, if you yaw the Mavic slightly would it then descend normally?

Good questions, I will have to try this next time in RTH, as I don't know if yaw commands will work in RTH. But if so, it would solve the problem of sun directly on the front sensors. What I was doing wrong was not paying close enough attention otherwise I could have cancelled RTH before it went above the local altitude limit.

Hi all I have just experienced the rth and sun issue, all was good until it turned to it original takeoff direction and it started climbing and stopped at the 45mt height I had set, I just did a manual landing and all was good, I then turned everything off rebooted and this time took off with sun to its back, recorded the home point and sent it off to about 500 mts away zig zagging as it went, then did a return to home ??? Came back perfect landed 200 mm from its take off point..

Thanks Ktm, that is very similar to my experience. So on the second try it was not coming back directly into the sun?

Hi it returned back at a angle to the sun ok but because the 1st attempt it turned into the sun for landing it refused and went up to the set height, the second time yes it turned its back to the sun and it landed perfect...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose