DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange Circles on Photo & Video (Sensor Fault or Dirt behind Lens)

Flokal

Reactions
Hello,

this weekend I flew with my MPP in the Mountains and when I got back I made some strange encounters processing my DNGs & Videos.

I already read some Postings about these strange Flairs/Circles/Dots/Spots and now I have them too. I always fly without the Lensprotection due the bad contrast it produces. I never flew in wet conditions and neither with a lot of dust or something like that. Until now the Videos where quite clear ad so where the RAW-Files. But after this weekend I noticed these strange Circles in my images and even in Video. Especially in the sky you can see them.

When taking a video, my gimbal sometimes goes crazy when it is a bit windy or if you go to fast backwards. But the most weird thing is, that when the image is shaking you can see, that the Spots stay in their Position and the Image moves -> so I believe this has nothing to do with the sensor - maybe it is an optics problem.

At home I tested it again and the Spots appear in all kind of lightsituations -> it does not matter if it is dark or luminous. You alwways have these kind of spots all over the upper area. Then I tried out, to take a photo near a lightsource to get a big amount of light near the lens and what I saw took me of my shoes. The image looks like if there was dirt on the sensor (small points) and when I merged the pictures in PS you have the flares exactly there where these "dirt" spots are visible.

In my opinion as a DSLR-User it looks like, that this a production-fault -> how can so much dirt enter so easily behind the lens or in front of the sensor -> when it is fix closed. If it would be an interchangeable lens -> I would understand it, but a closed system that graps so much dirt is not normal.

My drone and the other equipment have been treated like raw eggs -> always carried dry and well coverd, never flew when it was rainy or close above the water. Yes some starts from gravel or the lawn or something like that, but hey for a 1.000 dollar tool you can expect that the camera is so well sealed that nothing enters. During the Start you do not have pression on the gimbal neither - this is only the case with high velocity.

Unfortunately my drone is out of guarantee - I wrote to dji but I do not expect anything - It is a shame having a working drone whit very few flight hours that produces crap-Material.

Have you had the same experience or what do you recommend - In the other postings it was always the same: Sending it to repair, exchange the gimbal or the lens.

Shame on dji because I think it is their fault -> I have a canon 5dmk1 and it works like a charme still just cleaning the sensor and off the way. Here you are forced to pay a lot or even to buy a new one - because from dji you cannot expect anything I think.

Attached find the Fotos. camera-against-light.jpgimages-merged.jpgspots-on-photo.jpg

It’s likely moisture within the lens assembly. Dust would show as black dots as you see on DSLRs.

Don’t forget there is moisture in the air and the aircraft is flying through it, unlike a stills camera.

Allow the aircraft to dry in a warm area free of any steam or moisture and they should clear.

Remember too, the camera assembly needs to acclimatise to the temperature you are filming in in exactly the same way as a stills camera if you want to avoid condensation.

A lens filter has absolutely minimum effect on contrast unless you are shooting into the light.

But after this weekend I noticed these strange Circles in my images and even in Video. Especially in the sky you can see them.
I agree with @SkyeHigh. Was it subjected to cold to initiate condensation of moisture in the lens? The lens is not entirely sealed such there is no exchange with the atmosphere.

I agree with @SkyeHigh. Was it subjected to cold to initiate condensation of moisture in the lens? The lens is not entirely sealed such there is no exchange with the atmosphere.
I do not know if it is moisture because you have these spots exactly on the same place and the lens is completly clear. I reviewed some footage from my last flights and the spots where visible too - but not as much as this time. On Saturday we had 25 degrees an it was quite dry. The other Photo I took was at home yet. The brighter the sun the more you see them. As said i do not think it is on the sensor because during the gimbal shake you could see that it stayed in its place and so I think it has to do with the optics.

I had the same issue with a Mavic Pro. Looked at my photos in the past and one day the spots were there where they previously had not been. Always treated my bird with kid gloves, never crashed. I contacted DJI, they had me send it in and said it was going to be about $189 to repair. I paid that online, and within hours they had a replacement drone on the way to me. Bad news was that I had to register this again since it was a new serial number.

I had the same issue with a Mavic Pro. Looked at my photos in the past and one day the spots were there where they previously had not been. Always treated my bird with kid gloves, never crashed. I contacted DJI, they had me send it in and said it was going to be about $189 to repair. I paid that online, and within hours they had a replacement drone on the way to me. Bad news was that I had to register this again since it was a new serial number.
Based on your situation, it sounds like it was an image processing issue associated with the main board. Switching it would require registration. I had to do that when I switched boards for a different issue.

You don't register serial numbers as a hobby flyer, you only register yourself. That means you can own four drones and fly them all on your one registration. Therefore, you did not need to re register your replacement drone. Assuming you are speaking of the FAA registration.

If you have cleaned the lens as best you can, these spots are either on the inside of the lens, or on the sensor itself. I've had all three conditions with my DSLR cameras. Cleaning everything but the inside of the lens is fairly easy on those. Unfortunately, not so much with the drone. I'm guessing DJI is wanting to replace the entire camera. Good luck and good flying.

Reactions: Flokal
Hello, well we‘ll see, I spoke to the support today they will contact me the next days! I hope they find a solution, because my MPP is still a very nice tool and it flies like hell

You don't register serial numbers as a hobby flyer, you only register yourself. That means you can own four drones and fly them all on your one registration. Therefore, you did not need to re register your replacement drone. Assuming you are speaking of the FAA registration.
I am from Austria, we have to make a flying license now in Europe and carry an insurance always when we fly. Therefore you have to register your drone.

No, registration with DJI as if it’s a brand new drone.

I do not know if it is moisture because you have these spots exactly on the same place and the lens is completly clear. I reviewed some footage from my last flights and the spots where visible too - but not as much as this time. On Saturday we had 25 degrees an it was quite dry. The other Photo I took was at home yet. The brighter the sun the more you see them. As said i do not think it is on the sensor because during the gimbal shake you could see that it stayed in its place and so I think it has to do with the optics.

It has to be in or on the lens in that case. With brighter light the spots would show as darker spots if it was the sensor. Also, the giveaway here, water droplets always form in circular patterns as you see in your images.

The gimbal and camera unit move together and the sensor and lens is fixed so the movement of the camera with the gimbal will have no effect on the placement of the spots.

Mould is also another possibility and also forms in circular patterns on lenses. As the spots are quite transparent though it still looks like water marks.

It has to be in or on the lens in that case. With brighter light the spots would show as darker spots if it was the sensor. Also, the giveaway here, water droplets always form in circular patterns as you see in your images.

The gimbal and camera unit move together and the sensor and lens is fixed so the movement of the camera with the gimbal will have no effect on the placement of the spots.

Mould is also another possibility and also forms in circular patterns on lenses. As the spots are quite transparent though it still looks like water marks.
Did another time photo with strong contra-light - still the same position. The less light is broken the more circular the spots.

Attachments

• spots.jpg
    spots.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17
So here is the final update - Got in contact with DJI-Support Europe. There they told me to send it in - created a Label via UPS - sent the Drone - got Notifications about every Step which was taken. Finally they returned me a new drone (other serial number) out of charge - repair status was: camera replacement. it all took a bit more than a labourweek sending it from austria to the netherlands and returning it. i have to say that the drone was out of warranty! all i can say about the support from dji is - spectacular - answering at the moment, very service oriented and super organized. this is a best case example how customer-service should work. the only thing is that i have to change my drone registration/insurance again because of the new serial number. cannot wait to get it back in the air.

It is interesting to note your experience was very similar to mine, on the other side of the globe. DJI gets a great review on their service.

I am from Austria, we have to make a flying license now in Europe and carry an insurance always when we fly. Therefore you have to register your drone.
Not 100% accurat though. You do not register the drone, you have to register as operator of a UAV. Your e.ID must be vissible on the drone you operate. You can have more then one drone with the same number, because the number is related to you.
Accurat is, that you have to have a liability insurance, which makes sense and is not expensiv.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22