DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange Circular Artifact Mavic Pro-Only in Photo Mode

PHZ

Reactions
I have pulled out my Mavic Pro which has not been used in several months. I am using latest firmware, iPad Pro 5th Gen, and Sandisk Extreme Pro memory card. I noticed some strange circular, like a faint bullseye artifacts in my photos. There are three of them actually. They show up in every photo, no matter the settings or the direction to the sun. I don't believe it is lens flare, but some issue with the sensor.DJI_0011-BRKT.jpg When shooting video, they are not visible at all. Any ideas about what is going on? They can be clearly seen in the top left portion of the photo.

349D2A64-AD99-42DB-9420-69A555B6A452.gif
Lets see photo.

I have pulled out my Mavic Pro which has not been used in several months. I am using latest firmware, iPad Pro 5th Gen, and Sandisk Extreme Pro memory card. I noticed some strange circular, like a faint bullseye artifacts in my photos. There are three of them actually. They show up in every photo, no matter the settings or the direction to the sun. I don't believe it is lens flare, but some issue with the sensor.View attachment 124612 When shooting video, they are not visible at all. Any ideas about what is going on? They can be clearly seen in the top left portion of the photo.
clean the lense with a cloth? Also, show more photos.

Reactions: dirkclod
Here are two shots. The artifact appears in exactly the same place in the frame. Two different days, different lighting and camera angles. I found out it does slightly show up on video, but to a lesser extent.

Attachments

• DJI_0011-BRKT.jpg
    DJI_0011-BRKT.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 35
  • DJI_0108.JPG
    DJI_0108.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 37
Looks like dried condensation, are you using any filters ?

Hopefully it's on the outside of the lens and not on the camera sensor.

Here are two shots. The artifact appears in exactly the same place in the frame. Two different days, different lighting and camera angles. I found out it does slightly show up on video, but to a lesser extent.
Have you had the camera wet or in damp conditions somewhere?
You've got marks on the sensor left by water droplets.

Looks like a dirty sensor to me as well. Check all lens surfaces that you can get at. They all must be spotless.

Reactions: Thomas B
Thanks for all the suggestions. No filters when these shots were taken. I suspect that some condensation formed and is inside the lens or sensor assembly. Maybe a trip to DJI for an estimate to replace/repair. My motivation is low since I have a perfectly good M2 Pro, but hate to mothball an otherwise good aircraft. Decision time.

If it is water, disassemble it as far as you can, and seek if it dries out.

If you want to take some risk, bath the area in isopropyl alcohol. That will dissolve the water into it. It will also dissolve and dyes and gums, so it could cause additional problems.

I have shot a nikon DSLR for years, and the spots look a lot like dust which is inevitable on the sensor. In our case with care we can clean the sensor and we are good for another 6 months or so. I would suspect as noted above that condensation might have the same effect. The question is mostly where on the lens/sensor system does it exist? It seems the only way to narrow that down is to clean every thing you can with appropriate lens/filter/sensor cleaning materials. If it's still there I'd guess it needs to go back to dji for a sensor clean.

Dust on my sensors leaves similar marks with my CDD cameras on my astro photos, but with those I take flats, darks, and bias shots to remove dust marks and noise.

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Thank you for your suggestion/analysis. I sent it back the DJI this afternoon. We will see what they come up with.

Doesn't the Nikon have a self cleaning sensor feature on it? I used to shoot with a Nikon D500 and I thought it had that feature. I know my Sonys do.

Doesn't the Nikon have a self cleaning sensor feature on it? I used to shoot with a Nikon D500 and I thought it had that feature. I know my Sonys do.
That self-cleaning feature only works to a limited extent.

I have bought a second hand mavic which I received yesterday and I have the same problem... I have attached two pics.

Do you have any ideas how this can be solved ?

Attachments

• DJI_0446.JPG
    DJI_0446.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 13
  • DJI_0115.JPG
    DJI_0115.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 12
It is some kind of physical matter - a drop of water or oil someplace in the optical path. You should be able to see it looking into the lens through to the sensor. Check each optical surface, and clean the offending one very gently with lens tissue or lens cleaning micro fiber cloth.

I believe it was something on the sensor itself. I sent my Mavic Pro back to DJI after entering a ticket under my DJI account.
They “fixed” it for $173.00. I say “fixed”, because they just replaced the entire aircraft. I reviewed my photos. One day they were not there, then they were. I am guessing it may have been condensation droplets, but really don’t know.
I had to activate the replacement, set up the IMU and compass, and register the new unit with the FAA. My old drone went to the Dallas service center. Turnaround was impressive. I think about seven days.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s