DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange Interaction with DJI after a mishap

jbd3dmd

Reactions
So I'm a rookie. Lifted off the Mavic Pro from our deck in remote rural Wisconsin for a photographic run back over the house. Drone flies normally to the point I want to do a 180 and fly back over the house. It lost connectivity citing extreme interference and took off at a 90 degree angle to the flight out and intended flight back and ended up 40 feet in a tree. I found it and my son-in-law managed to knock it out of the tree with a football (!) and it fell to the ground, separating from the battery as it fell. As luck would have it, it bounced onto rocks at the edge of a lake and was moist but not fully submerged. The battery never got wet. I let it dry out for a couple of days and it seemed to power up and work normally. Since I have DJI care, I called to get their advice and I was told it would be best to send it in and they would assess it and make a recommendation. All sensible so far. They got it and requested I upload flight data which I did. then came the invoice showing replacement cost and DJI care replacement cost of about 1/10 the first figure. I called to ask them the status of the drone and they said it was out of warranty and since water was factor it wasn't repairable. Given that it powered up normally, I expected to make a decision but they refused to share their assessment with me since it "was out of warranty". So I paid the DJI Care fee and asked them again (nicely) what might have caused this only to be told that since I paid the DJI Care fee, they couldn't tell me anything about my original drone. I'm sure operator error may have played a part in this but without some useful feedback, there isn't a lot of learning happening. They seem to have conflicting policies within their own universe and I'm puzzled at how this unfolded. Any parallel experiences or suggestions for a better way to have approached this?

Reactions: brett8883
Post your flight logs here first for analysis.

It seems that once you accept refresh, the info on your original gets wiped or disassociated from you.
On top of that, at least for when I sent my M2, the emailed invoice shows the itemized repair but the invoice total is for refresh and assumes refresh even if you want repairs to conserve your two refresh instances. There's no going back once you paid the refresh cost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929