DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange issues with navigation system

MisterJ

Reactions
OK if you haven't read any of my posts yet. I had a minor accident a couple months ago. Camera unit was completely replaced by drone nerds because they didn't know how to change the ribbon cable /video transmission cable. So I ended up getting a second mavic on ebay for $250 that had a missing camera and used my spare camera and fixed it. Not hard of a repair at all except my fingers are a little too big lol. But besides the point, I have had several issues with the mavic after drone nerds repairs. I was getting an ultrasonic sensor error land immediately after I reached about 40ft and I noticed this has been goin on since the accident l. I have tried everything. I cleaned the sensors with compressed air, refresh of the firmware. Even set back to factory defaults and then reinstalled the newest firmware. Also deleted the app and data and reinstalled. Some of these actually made the error go away until it reached 40ft and the error came back. I decided to get a new sensor board and replaced it as I thought the sensors may have been affected by the crash. Keep in mind both boards I was hearing the clicking from the ultrasonic sensors. Problem now is that after Replacing the board I'm getting no GPS signal whatsoever. I am stumped at this point. Any help. Only thing I can think of is maybe the ribbon cable that plugs into the back of the bottom board may not be in all the way? I'm pretty sure everything was snug but I'm not exactly sure where that plug went to. Any help would be great guys.... Sorry for the long post.

Problem now is that after Replacing the board I'm getting no GPS signal whatsoever. I am stumped at this point.

Look at the connector and wires that go from compasss/GPS unit the inside rear of the top cover to the GPS/compass connector on your ESC board. One of the wires might have gotten torn while you pulled the top off. They usually tear right at the connector on the GPS unit in the top cover.

If it is torn off, you can solder it back on if you have steady hands and a good iron.

I never took the top off and I had GPS before I opened the bottom to replace the chip and I connected to the assistant program and ralecalibrated the sensors and upgraded the firmware for the new chip, everything looked OK but I was still getting no GPS even after letting it sit outside powered up for 15 min. I'm going to try a different location today. Both compasses are active and showing excellent readings. I'm going to recalibrate the compass in a different location, I live on the beach so I'm going to see if I can get a GPS signal out west today.

Still no GPS.... Kind of stumped now. I'm going to put in the old chip and see if it changes anything and go from there. Location is showing up on the map but I'm still getting cannot take off with a check redundancy state error

So I swapped back to the old board and still not getting a GPS signal. Everything looks normal under the bottom cover. Not exactly rocket science. Thinking about replacing the GPS unit. Very frustrating situation since the crash. Glad it's not my only bird.

Just wanted to update.... Changed the board back to the new one.... Completely tore the entire bird apart. Replaced a wobbly back leg while I was at it but made sure there were no kicked ribbon cables and double checked all the connections.. Sat it in the middle of my king size bed without the props and immediately after turning everything on the drone started to acquire satellites so GPS is now functioning. So I decided to take it out even tho it's extremely windy outside. After getting a solid GPS lock and updated home point I took it up to about 40 ft and got a compass error so I'll have to recalibrate it tomorrow and give it another go providing there aren't 30mph gusts lol. So far so good.

Just as an update, everything is fixed. Used the new chip, calibrated imu then compass then vision sensors and no more issues. Replaced a wobbly back leg while I was at it but I did clean all the connections with compressed air and alcohol and made sure everything was plugged in firmly. She flies like new! Super solid GPS signal and absolutely no drifting. Thanks for the helpful advice guys!

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Hi may i know which board you change? I have similar situation where my mavic pro has been grounded since then.

I had an and episode myself this past Saturday. I had noticed on both Mini s lately wanted a compass calibration at start up. No problem but started this recently. Fiddler is my first mini i purchased. I calibrated and it took off. Flew to 30% battery and fire an RTH. it came to me I cancelled the rth It decided not but wanted to go up I held the stick down and she ignored to land and wanted to go up. I put controls into S mode for more power to keep it down. I went to grab but sensors keep her up and would not land. then I saw the NAVIGATION SYSTEM ERROR . I notice my altitude indicator frozen and my battery level not going down. I knew I would not be in a force landing. I grabbed it and got hit my the blades. got her upsdie down and motors stopped. I started looking for an answer. I check my Airmap and found nothing out of the ordinary. I had read try complete imu, compass, and gimbal re-calibrated. I did and no Nav messages or compass faults. I had recent updated to IOS14:01 Then i recalibrated mu other mini WACKJOB. No more constant complass calibrations

I had an and episode myself this past Saturday. I had noticed on both Mini s lately wanted a compass calibration at start up. No problem but started this recently. Fiddler is my first mini i purchased. I calibrated and it took off. Flew to 30% battery and fire an RTH. it came to me I cancelled the rth It decided not but wanted to go up I held the stick down and she ignored to land and wanted to go up. I put controls into S mode for more power to keep it down. I went to grab but sensors keep her up and would not land. then I saw the NAVIGATION SYSTEM ERROR . I notice my altitude indicator frozen and my battery level not going down. I knew I would not be in a force landing. I grabbed it and got hit my the blades. got her upsdie down and motors stopped. I started looking for an answer. I check my Airmap and found nothing out of the ordinary. I had read try complete imu, compass, and gimbal re-calibrated. I did and no Nav messages or compass faults. I had recent updated to IOS14:01 Then i recalibrated mu other mini WACKJOB. No more constant complass calibrations
Note that yours is the first reply on this thread in over 18 mos. I recommend starting your own thread.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest