DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange message at beginning of short flight

DroneJI

Reactions
I was over a friends house and wanted to show off my MPP they are at a lower elevation than where I live about 900’ lower when I first sent it up I got a message that I was above the 400’ limit? And it was real slow to climb! This lasted about 45 seconds then the message disappeared and it flew normally! Could this have been a GPS glitch? And it thought it was up much higher? I have a 2017 IPad so it’s not the Mobile device being slow! And everything is upto date! I have sent it up at least 2 dozen times since I owned it and never had this happen!

My guess would be that you didnt wait to get a good satellite lock before you took off. This could bite you in the *** if you do it too often. It wont set RTH correctly.
Make sure you have 10 or more sats in view of the mavic before you take off.

Is there anything interesting in the flight log?

It was raining on and off for 2 days so I may have rushed it! To get it up before it started raining again.! I didn’t fly it far just up about 15’ and around the field no more than 50’ from me, it was probably the safest place I have to fly it over 200 ac of land around the property, and it did start raining as soon as the message disappeared so it came right down asap.

Sounds like it needed to get it's new bearings, i.e. GPS position. If you don't wait until you get a good GPS lock, or don't reset you home point, it will remember the last place you took off and landed from.

Happened to me once when I was flying at a location different from were I usually fly. I was a a family 5K run event, which I was going to film, being rushed, kind of showing off my new toy to everyone, not doing my due diligence. I can't remember setting the new home point. So when I hit the RTH button, My MP took off, like a bat out of hell, for my "home", which was 5 miles away from where I was currently standing at the time. Lucky I reacted fast enough to cancel the RTH action before it just flew off to never, never land, and manually was able to flew it back to me. the next time I took off, I made sure I checked the precision RTH bottom before taking off.

So, word to the wise, never be in a rush, do your preflight check list, pretend you are in the cockpit, getting ready to takeoff in a real airplane. With your life on the line, it makes you be more cautious.

Reactions: DroneJI
Sounds like it needed to get it's new bearings, i.e. GPS position. If you don't wait until you get a good GPS lock, or don't reset you home point, it will remember the last place you took off and landed from.

Happened to me once when I was flying at a location different from were I usually fly. I was a a family 5K run event, which I was going to film, being rushed, kind of showing off my new toy to everyone, not doing my due diligence. I can't remember setting the new home point. So when I hit the RTH button, My MP took off, like a bat out of ****, for my "home", which was 5 miles away from where I was currently standing at the time. Lucky I reacted fast enough to cancel the RTH action before it just flew off to never, never land, and manually was able to flew it back to me. the next time I took off, I made sure I checked the precision RTH bottom before taking off.

So, word to the wise, never be in a rush, do your preflight check list, pretend you are in the cockpit, getting ready to takeoff in a real airplane. With your life on the line, it makes you be more cautious.

True the rain was a distraction I should not have let it rush me, now that I think about it the App warns the use about almost everything else it should throw a warning “ Not Ready To Fly” or something to that effect! I know most warnings can be ignored and bypassed there should be one for situations like this! But I don’t think Dji cares as much about Pilot error and the loss of a drone (it sells more drones) than something they can be sued or fined for! Like letting it go over 400’ without any warnings, but lesson learned, I still didn’t pull the brief footage from the Mavic it’s been raining still even since the incident and it’s locked up in the back of my SUV I will get to it one day when this weather breaks, I feel like I’m in a rain forest lately.

I also never thought about it going to my actual home if something went wrong I live over 20 miles from where this event happened it probably would have made it over a Walmart and ran out of juice. Even with a good tail wind I doubt it could have made it more than 1/4 the way back! At least the 3 big lakes around me were not in the path home. I think this may be how a lot of people loose there drones and blame it on the Bird or App when it was just doing what it was designed to do “go home”

True the rain was a distraction I should not have let it rush me, now that I think about it the App warns the use about almost everything else it should throw a warning “ Not Ready To Fly” or something to that effect! I know most warnings can be ignored and bypassed there should be one for situations like this! But I don’t think Dji cares as much about Pilot error and the loss of a drone (it sells more drones) than something they can be sued or fined for! Like letting it go over 400’ without any warnings, but lesson learned, I still didn’t pull the brief footage from the Mavic it’s been raining still even since the incident and it’s locked up in the back of my SUV I will get to it one day when this weather breaks, I feel like I’m in a rain forest lately.
The app DOES tell you “ready to fly” when it’s ready

The app DOES tell you “ready to fly” when it’s ready

I know that but a warning “not ready to fly” was what I meant, when setting up I don’t always remember if it said that yet, this is the first time I rushed and usually the time I spent setting up everything else has finished doing its thing, maybe a red border around the screen to say Hey I’m not done booting up and connecting,