DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strange...Unable to hand catch Mavic Pro issue

DroningONN

Reactions
Hi Droners!

Anyone else living in the North Eastern United States knows that we have been hammered by snow storms recently. Because of this I have often hand launched and hand retreived my Mavic Pro when landing is not an option on the snow. Normally this has not been a problen for me and I have done it many times but yesterday just as I was bringing it within reach it entered “Low Battery“ warning and started to RTH just as I tried to grab the drone and hold down my left stick to shut off the motors. Since it continued to try and throttle up and elevate to my 30M RTH setting I was not able to get it to shut off. I was terrified to let go as it was near a tree branch. I got a warning for max motor output and couldn’t cancel RTH, it just kept reentering RTH. I reluctently let go and was able to regain control and land before she flew into a tree but it was unnerving. Anyone know why this happens and if there is a way to shut down? Keep in mind I only had one hand on the RC as the other was holding the drone so I could not execute the manual motor kill.

Thanks

Did you cancel RTH with button on controller? For me, this cancels RTH instantly.

FYI, that won't happen if you turn off the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Smart-Return-to-Home-DJIGO4.jpg

Another option would be to keep that setting enabled and cancel the RTH in DJI GO when it alerts you that your Mavic is going to start returning home in 10 seconds.

FYI, that won't happen if you turn off the "Smart Return-to-Home" setting in the following section of DJI GO:

View attachment 33528

Another option would be to keep that setting enabled and cancel the RTH in DJI GO when it alerts you that your Mavic is going to start returning home in 10 seconds.
I would think it might be difficult to execute cancel RTH on DJI Go with only one hand and the other holding the AC.

Reactions: DroningONN
I would think it might be difficult to execute cancel RTH on DJI Go with only one hand and the other holding the AC.
Why? Your left hand should be on the RC and catch with your right? Just flick ya thumb over and all done???

Talking of the OK/cancel prompt that shows on the phone before RTH starts. Hard to reach that and hold the stuff with the same hand. Easy to cancel your catching attempt and bring your catching hand back to tap it though...

True. But, it sounds like the OP totally missed the prompt in DJI GO since his Mavic "started to RTH just as [he] tried to grab the drone".

Phone? What phone.... who looks at a phone?? muscle memory.... press a physical button.... dont look down, just press it... you should know where it is...

Reactions: frank candor
The point was cancelling the upcoming RTH before it starts, and that can only be done from the phone.

Sounds like you’ve walked away from your take off location. RTH shouldn’t have triggered if it’s close to home point.

I think you are absolutely correct and that is the difference because I walked about a quarter mile from my take off location. I also tried tilting the AC as others suggested and I'm aware that this normally shuts it off.

Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ