DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

STREAMING onto a LARGE SCREEN HDMI while Flying

Rockowe

Reactions
So this is for the Experts and the High tech guys-.

Iv streamed My Phone using WIFI (in 5 different Possible ways) - and the connection Starts off FAST and slows to eventually 3 frames per second - when using DJI Go and LITCHI.
NOT Good - becoming Terrible if Live streaming from say a live editor like OBS or Manycam-

Iv Used WIFI ScreenStream, Google Chromecast, TeamViewer, Samsung DeX - None stream wifi FAST Enough !!!!
Iv really tried about 5x different screen capture Wifi Options - Too SLOWWwwww

SO HERE's the QUESTION !???
Direct connection works AWSOMELY and Very FAST - if USB Cable to PC - or USB to HDMI.

QUESTION: Is there a DUAL USB Connector for my Phone that will allow me to Plug BOTH My USB RC AND RC at the same time?

If an adapter plug or Hub could be used to Output both HDMI and also talk via USB from RC to Phone - That would be the Solution-

Alternatively is there a way to stream a 2K stream from the Phone, VIA My PC (for Live editing) to a Live broadcast - for our local Security guys (or friends) to see my Live flight in high Quality ???

The answer requires
a) that it goes through my Powerful fast computer (Live editing - Mixing etc)
b) that its 2K or more - if possible
c) that its Live -
d) that it Outputs my Phones APP SCREEN
OR Live VIDEO from the Drone
e) and BONUS that its Wireless (Wifi) - but HDMI will be fine - with a Cable

Notes: I have Ample internet connection speed, Good New Samsung NOTE s10Plus, and a FAST Computer - with SSD and Loads of RAM.

Please don't suggest Inspire, or special Radio or large hardware add-ons - Im Using a Mavic 2 Zoom or Mavic PRO Only - with day to day connectors.

Your comments and expertise are very WELCOME !
thanks in advance...

Last edited:
Reactions: b1xn00d
The problem with trying to get HDMI out from your phone and connect to RC is USB mode conflict. The USB on the RC is in A mode and has to have your phone in the usual B mode to connect.
On the other hand, the HDMI adapter requires the phone's USB to be in A mode.
USB-C may be more flexible, but I've yet to see an actual USB C hub that lets one connect multiple USB C devices to a laptop or phone's USB C port.

As for streaming through WiFi, AllCast Mirror would cut out on me as soon as Go app was in camera view. I suspect Go uses up all of the phone's resources.

So this is for the Experts and the High tech guys-.

Iv streamed My Phone using WIFI (in 5 different Possible ways) - and the connection Starts off FAST and slows to eventually 3 frames per second - when using DJI Go and LITCHI.
NOT Good - becoming Terrible if Live streaming from say a live editor like OBS or Manycam-

Iv Used WIFI ScreenStream, Google Chromecast, TeamViewer, Samsung DeX - None stream wifi FAST Enough !!!!
Iv really tried about 5x different screen capture Wifi Options - Too SLOWWwwww

SO HERE's the QUESTION !???
Direct connection works AWSOMELY and Very FAST - if USB Cable to PC - or USB to HDMI.

QUESTION: Is there a DUAL USB Connector for my Phone that will allow me to Plug BOTH My USB RC AND RC at the same time?

If an adapter plug or Hub could be used to Output both HDMI and also talk via USB from RC to Phone - That would be the Solution-

Alternatively is there a way to stream a 2K stream from the Phone, VIA My PC (for Live editing) to a Live broadcast - for our local Security guys (or friends) to see my Live flight in high Quality ???

The answer requires
a) that it goes through my Powerful fast computer (Live editing - Mixing etc)
b) that its 2K or more - if possible
c) that its Live -
d) that it Outputs my Phones APP SCREEN
OR Live VIDEO from the Drone
e) and BONUS that its Wireless (Wifi) - but HDMI will be fine - with a Cable

Notes: I have Ample internet connection speed, Good New Samsung NOTE s10Plus, and a FAST Computer - with SSD and Loads of RAM.

Please don't suggest Inspire, or special Radio or large hardware add-ons - Im Using a Mavic 2 Zoom or Mavic PRO Only - with day to day connectors.

Your comments and expertise are very WELCOME !
thanks in advance...

SO Iv Just tried the Following...
From Normal Setup of Mavic 2 Zoom and DJI Go-
I opened a YouTube Direct Stream from the DJI go 4 app -
This seemed to work quite nicely - except theres no way of defining the feed SIZE that I could have adjusted.
BTW the Quick Link to YouTube did not work - So It had to be the RTMP Stream Direct to - a LIVE stream-... (This was to be UNLISTED - with Just One User who Knew the Link - ME)

Then I imported the Private LiveStream Page (Youtube Live stream) into OBS - for My Editing Routines … and again OUTPUT it on a 2nd LIVE stream (now a PUBLIC one)

The YouTube Stream was not too bad - but Uploading two High quality Streams - really BENT my SYSTEm a Bit -
It went from Excellent Quality to LOW then Back to Good- - Like a Rollercoaster.

But the Net affect is acceptable - But Not Broadcast Quality for the LIVE drone Feed. (Stream One)

If I play another Prerecorded video - out of OBS to the 2nd Public Live STream - The Quality is Amazing.

SO up to Now - No Final Joy

Any Ideas anyone?

Last edited:
Reactions: PointG
I tried doing the same as you but gave up and bought a Crystal Sky to get HDMI output. I even posted about this before. But as you said, you didn’t want to buy more expensive hardware. Good luck, I will be following for answers too.

Last edited:
I've yet to see an actual USB C hub that lets one connect multiple USB C devices to a laptop or phone's USB C port.
You might have seen plenty of USB-C to A cables though. Easy to connect C devices through a hub with A-C cable.

Following this thread too.

The problem with trying to get HDMI out from your phone and connect to RC is USB mode conflict. The USB on the RC is in A mode and has to have your phone in the usual B mode to connect.
On the other hand, the HDMI adapter requires the phone's USB to be in A mode.
USB-C may be more flexible, but I've yet to see an actual USB C hub that lets one connect multiple USB C devices to a laptop or phone's USB C port.

Okay thanks DanMan32 for the explanation of the USB function and directions -

So I went looking for a USB type C Hub - and came up with this -
In the video they refer to the DeX Program which is cool - ...
But more important I noticed the optional Multible USB connectors on the HUB>

Question is Would something like this Work?
Or is Part of the answer 'Depends on the Direction of the USB' configuration -
Like the USB may only be type for use on an input device like a Mouse - instead of Multidirectional?

Also the HDMI is definitely Outward to the TV or Monitor (Unlike the Goggles).

It would be cool to have had the DJI Goggles having an HDMI out Interface-

Anyway that's the research for today-

BTW the other thing I noted today while doing a Direct YouTube Stream - was that what you get on your Phone (in the app video feed) is the Video you get.
We have a huge Radio Mast behind our house on the Ridge - that has about 100 antenas - for all sorts of things. Repeaters, Wifi, etc.

For the first time this week - My drone reception was cut into stutters, and shakes.
I thought it was the YouTube Live upload, but when looking at the BANDS (Channels) used in the DJI Reception - ALL Channels were Fluctuating into the RED - Except for a Small area on the RIGHT side (say channel 13 or so) - so I had to select manually the 10mhz narrow band to select that channel - It helped - but still not for HD.
I mean the video was shocking and the app was reporting - serious signal interference.
This Just started this Week-
I wonder if the tower is transmitting something that's Killing my app !!!!

So the VIDEO feed to YouTube and my app - shows crazy frame loss etc. and even with HDMI - would replicate that .

I wonder if this is a concern Flying the drone? or if there is a way to Bump up the Frequency to 2.5 (2.3) or 5.something range - like in these hacks, to get out of the way of the Rogue High powered transmission. (Also is it normal that the tower is transmitting so strong on these frequencies ? is it allowed ?)

Anyway I'm sure these are debatable issues-
So over to you to have a Go at these...

Thanks ...
R

"Question is Would something like this Work?
Or is Part of the answer 'Depends on the Direction of the USB' configuration -
Like the USB may only be type for use on an input device like a Mouse - instead of Multidirectional?"

Recall that the RC needs it's port to be in A mode to communicate with a phone in B mode. I don't think you'll find any ports on that hub that has B mode ports. C might be bi-mode, but if that were the case, you'd find C data ports on the hub. Instead you find 2.0 and 3.0 A ports, and devices (Ethernet, HDMI) whos USB back-end to the phone are B devices.

Think of PC as A device, peripherals as B devices. A can only connect to B. You'll not find USB hubs allowing multiple PCs to connect to each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: mereflyer
If you are using an iOS device iPhone/iPad and you have a smart tv or Roku stick you can use the built in iOS screen mirroring to an Apple TV device. Roku supports Apple TV now.

I screen mirror to my LG tv with Roku/Apple TV app. It’s works via WiFi. The screen mirror option is found in the Control Center pull down on your iPhone or iPad.

You could probably mirror to a Mac but not sure about windows PC, but there may be a way to do that.

If you are using an iOS device iPhone/iPad and you have a smart tv or Roku stick you can use the built in iOS screen mirroring to an Apple TV device. Roku supports Apple TV now.

I screen mirror to my LG tv with Roku/Apple TV app. It’s works via WiFi. The screen mirror option is found in the Control Center pull down on your iPhone or iPad.

You could probably mirror to a Mac but not sure about windows PC, but there may be a way to do that.

Thanks for the advice -
I'm using android for now - … and the google chromeCast - for TV streaming - as well as an Android TV Box - so Both -
Therefore iOS device iPhone/iPad are not an option for me at present.

I did notice though that Streaming my Entire Phone to the Chrome Cast TV Yielded Pretty good results -
Since I got the New Samsung NOTE S10Plus it may be prudent to revisit that - with ChromeCast
New Stronger Resources on the New Phone - ...
Will Report Back - on this...

COMPARISON - Of whats available and what My WISH Broadcast would be.
This is Not a Solution but rather a WANNABE Solution.

- I'm Getting FRUSTRATED with Less than Good Quality OutPut - Direct to YouTube, or Phone SCREEN Mirroring to My computer.

To Re-iterate
It is Required to get 4K or 2K Clear smooth Output onto a LIVE Stream - for Demonstration Purposes - or LIVE Security projects.
The Best option would be to get this for LIVE MIIXING on My computer - where I Know My Output Live stream could be a 4K Good Quality output-

Up to now I cant get my PHONE OutPut - to my computer or anywhere else in sufficient frame rate or 2K video !

So to be Clear this is Not Resource Issue -
I have a FAST Internet Speed - Fast computers and FAST Phone

Comparison (View in HD at Least)
So Test 1 Direct LIVE output to RTMP from DJIgo4 - (Really Not good!)
The Further away I went the LIVE youtube feed degraded to
See position 7m20s to see the degradation - NOT BROADCAST QUALITY
…. watch in HD or more

then
Test 2 - My Wannabe Wish - Perfect Hi Res Output
- Although not streamed Live it was recorded on a FULL 4K Resolution - with AZ Screen Recorder - Recording at 2K - This is the BEST Quality Ive achieved for Broadcast
I wish this kind of output would be available -
…. watch in HD or more

The above Video is Perfect - 2K
How on earth am I going to Live stream this Quality or at least replicate this from my Phone to another screen in 2K to 4K??

… any solutions?

… any solutions?
Yes, but as you have a limitation on add-on hardware stated in your OP, I doubt that you are lucky with the resources available in your current setup.

Yes, but as you have a limitation on add-on hardware stated in your OP, I doubt that you are lucky with the resources available in your current setup.

SO minimums would require a SmartCOntroller - HDMI output?
or CrystalSky ? or ?
(lets scrap the no additional hardware wishlist and suggest acceptable solutions

SO minimums would require a SmartCOntroller - HDMI output?
I recommend this.

Once you have HDMI, you can do whatever you want to do with that signal.
Plug an HDMI TV in, extend the HDMI signal up to several miles (with additional hardware - latency-free) or, if you have a PC with an HDMI card IN, you can edit and do whatever you like.

…. The Ultimate Solution for REAL 4K (Live) would be an Onboard LTE output that could Upload 4K live (requires 30-50 Mg Upload speed) to the nearest LTE tower- (transmitted from the drone itself - straight from the camera)

- DJI could consider this for real High quality surveillance for Search and Rescue etc -- - (Not hard to do by DJI)
This way there would be No Degradation or downsizing to the RC (1024)

I know its possible on M100 and possibly inspire - but the adaptation would be easy enough on Mavic 2 Size type drones-

Viewers could get an Instant High Quality View of the Camera direct from Onboard-
Limitation would be Solid LTE connection - where the drone was !

I know its possible on M100 and possibly inspire
We have a setup which exactly is what you want. (Matrice 600)
You can do it with any aircraft which is not restricted in a 'closed' video system like Lightbride or Ocusync.
Whenever you have access to a video signal at the drone (FBAS, Y/C, RGB YUV or whatever) you can transmit it to whatever kind of destination (Base station or LTE tower)
It's only a question of available budget.

Reactions: Rockowe
Good Answer - Iv seen some of these setups -
a) LTE - the aircraft would be forced to fly LOW - say 100-150 ft to be within the LTE Tower antennae receive range span - (designed for Humans - not birds - haha)
b) Proprietary Base Station solution would require carrying an additional One on One transmitter (amplifier) - which would be extra Loading -

My Wish List would be the former - which is Light - and versatile - and would not need to go Via Lightbridge or occusync - but rather direct out of the camera to a Live Streaming hardware encoder for the LTE (USB) stick - (Think cheap phone with LTE and skype onboard - to get the idea)

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851