DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stress Cracks

Triple r

Reactions
8CF09BDD-BC9F-4B55-879B-C895BEF134FE.jpeg 2F7BBE4B-BF66-4992-90BC-8BA4522A96BA.jpeg 036082A6-5D49-4E2A-99CA-B6FC352CBB1F.jpeg 11ADA8B5-577E-4397-9694-62BEF3FCC0C1.jpeg Has anyone noticed any stress cracks with their MPP?. Mine is located on the left lower front side of the top canopy near the left arm

Attachments

• 4B090EA1-EC4D-442C-9410-3CA6CD150227.jpeg
    4B090EA1-EC4D-442C-9410-3CA6CD150227.jpeg
    560.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I had some on one of the legs. I should've complained about it but didn't and later that leg, which houses the antenna, broke in a hard landing. Had just that leg or pedestal replaced and no problems since.

I know first hand that the plastic used to make these drones can become extremely brittle with little to no warning at all. It's something I foresee being a major issue down the line when everybody's Mavics start snapping off pieces.

I had an Audi that had plastic that was almost identical to this stuff. After a certain amount of hot/cold cycles, you could just press the stuff between two fingers and it would snap off. I had to dig little pieces of orange plastic out of my oil pan when the dipstick tube fell into pieces when I put the dipstick back in. I really hope that Mavics don't start falling from the sky due to similar reasons.

As @Bunny Too mentioned, rarely there appear some bubbles and even more rarely stress cracks over the eyes of the forward obstacle sensors. These are the only stress cracks from defective manufacturing in the hundreds of Mavics I've come across. The Phantom 3 series had occasional stress cracks near the motor pods, but I have never seen a crash on a Phantom due to those stress cracks.

The material that the Mavic is made from is quite pliable and not as brittle as some people think. I have been able to bend back front legs into position that appear to be cracked, and tighten the screws back to normal. The most common cracks are due to hard landings and as I mentioned above, the front legs crack but can be repaired, and the tabs above the rear arm saddle joints will crack in a hard landing, but those are designed as fracture points to save the rest of the drone. Arm tabs will crack to break the fall and save the main body of the drone.

All that being said, DJI makes an exceptionally durable product even right down to the Spark.

Last edited:
I really hope that Mavics don't start falling from the sky due to similar reasons.

98% of Mavics never fall from the sky. I wouldnt worry too much about the manufacturing materials.

The following poll shows that 95% of owners reported their Mavics never fell from the sky. Of the remaining 5% that fell, upon examination of the causes, most were due to batteries not being latched correctly, or props spinning off. That leaves 2% out of the hundreds of thousands of Mavic flight hours and that 2% were in the hands of new pilots.

Poll: Has your Mavic fallen from the sky for unknown reasons?

Last edited:
OP, how old is the drone? Did you buy it new or refurbed? How many flights? Any hard landings? Do you notice the crack opening when you fold the LF front leg open or closed?

As @Bunny Too mentioned, rarely there appear some bubbles and even more rarely stress cracks over the eyes of the forward obstacle sensors. These are the only stress cracks from defective manufacturing in the hundreds of Mavics I've come across. The Phantom 3 series had occasional stress cracks near the motor pods, but I have never seen a crash on a Phantom due to those stress cracks.

The material that the Mavic is made from is quite pliable and not as brittle as some people think. I have been able to bend back front legs into position that appear to be cracked, and tighten the screws back to normal. The most common cracks are due to hard landings and as I mentioned above, the front legs crack but can be repaired, and the tabs above the rear arm saddle joints will crack in a hard landing, but those are designed as fracture points to save the rest of the drone. Arm tabs will crack to break the fall and save the main body of the drone.

All that being said, DJI makes an exceptionally durable product even right down to the Spark.
The Mavic Pro never had a hard landing. See pics. Always hovered and waited for stick input. I think too many have been made and lack of QC. This was my first DJI product. All other features are great. When you pay 1400 dollars- there should not be this kind of issue.

Reactions: Hooby
OP, how old is the drone? Did you buy it new or refurbed? How many flights? Any hard landings? Do you notice the crack opening when you fold the LF front leg open or closed?
I bought it New from the DJI online store. No hard landings. Always hovered first then stick input to land. 73 flights. 9 hours and 53 total time. See pics. Noticed it yesterday after setting up for flight.

Reactions: Hooby
The Mavic Pro never had a hard landing. See pics. Always hovered and waited for stick input. I think too many have been made and lack of QC. This was my first DJI product. All other features are great. When you pay 1400 dollars- there should not be this kind of issue.

Yeah... I am one of the people who also has apparently been highly unlucky with their Mavic. I can not think of a single way I could have treated it better and it really let me down. So did DJI. I won't get into specifics, but I will just say that there was zero reason for my issue and DJI was suspiciously cagey in their "response" (or lack thereof) to my concerns.

I'm hoping things will be different now.

Reactions: DroneJI
I wrote an email to DJI and included pics. I also request a service ticket and waiting to mail the MPP on Monday. Hopefully I won’t need to use one of the DJI Refresh benefits since it appears to be a manufacturing defect.

Yeah... I am one of the people who also has apparently been highly unlucky with their Mavic. I can not think of a single way I could have treated it better and it really let me down. So did DJI. I won't get into specifics, but I will just say that there was zero reason for my issue and DJI was suspiciously cagey in their "response" (or lack thereof) to my concerns.

Wow sounds reassuring

I’m with you on how Dji seems to divert fault, my mavic is still perfect but my Phantom is another story! I think Dji was rushing to get these drones to market trying not to have a back order and it is hurting them sort of if the take responsibility for a issue but they seem to work there way out of it more so than not.

Didn’t realize how cheap. Being only a couple of months old and concerned of transferring the components over....going to let the warranty take care of this one

Yeah, that was a really good find on whoever posted that. I'll thank them separately for sharing such a solid lead on parts.

My Mavic's downward sensors went haywire today and the controller told me to "LAND IMMEDIATELY"... so I did. Only I didn't know that the immediate landing would be without the same cushion of air as literally every other single one of my hundreds of flights have been. It smacked the ground a little harder than I would ever have liked (though it really wasn't AWFUL, since I slapped it into sport mode and went full stick up when I saw it was not slowing on its descent, so at least there was that) and the very first thing that popped into my mind was this very thread. It has me paranoid.

I’m with you on how Dji seems to divert fault, my mavic is still perfect but my Phantom is another story! I think Dji was rushing to get these drones to market trying not to have a back order and it is hurting them sort of if the take responsibility for a issue but they seem to work there way out of it more so than not.

What really bothers me about DJI is that there is no one, good, reliable place to contact in order to get service. You only get to deal with low level reps over online chat, Zen Desk people over email, or who knows what company over the phone. Which is normally all perfectly fine, as most other companies offer levels of escalation should these entities be unable to fulfill your needs. But DJI just makes these poor people take the brunt of the anger and frustration of the people it has left out in the cold... and I'm not the kind of person to yell at a customer service rep that is working for an unrelated, outside partner, because they had nothing to do with the problems we're facing... so now what? Now where do I go?

I really would be curious to see how much better DJI would be doing if they stepped up their customer service game. Because it's not as if they're necessarily doing bad as it is, but they can not continuously be the company that is notorious for working its customers over and lying to them. That is not sustainable. I want to love this company, and their products are amazing. But man... I hate the company itself. Really, I do.

That said, if anyone out there has a good way of actually getting through to someone at DJI that can address my problems and finally work with me, please let me know. I am out of patience.

/rant which was completely and selfishly unrelated to OP's problems

Reactions: DroneJI
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka