DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe light on Macic 2 Pro

DGNOO

Reactions
Hi Folks
I want to put a strobe onto the top front of my drone. Will it effect the camera?
Please advise.
Thanks
[emoji41][emoji576]

From my experience, it should not affect the camera as long as you are not trying to film in the dark. It will also affect the camera if you are close to another object while trying to film, as the light will bounce off the object and effect the camera. Basically don't fly in the dark and don't fly near things and you should be fine.?

Today I received my set of three Firehouse Tech ARC II strobe units--1 red, 1 green, 1 white (4 LEDs per unit) for 95.99 USD. We'll test them Sat July 13 in San Francisco, hoping to extend VLOS during daylight. We will post the results.
What mounts have you decided to use?

And where did you purchase the strobes?

Last edited:
Hi Folks
I want to put a strobe onto the top front of my drone. Will it effect the camera?
Please advise.
Thanks
[emoji41][emoji576]

My top mounted led strobe setup.....

Abstract-wallpaper-11205293_1496106458200_1497788692959_1562797950633.jpg

Mounting clip from PGYTech

LED Set from Firehouse Technology

LED Mount from Aerial-pixel

Note that the PGYTech mounting clip covers the front edge of the battery which helps ensure the battery is seated properly and makes it less likely to release in flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: dfb

View attachment 77338

Note that the PGYTech mounting clip covers the front edge of the battery which helps ensure the battery is seated properly and makes it less likely to release in flight.

Additional info:
The LED set consists of 4 ARC II strobes; 2 white and 1 each of red & green. I have the white front and back, the red on left side and the green on the right side.
The silver stripes and top of PGYTech mount is 3M conspicuity tape which may make recovery easier if crashed.
The printing near the bottom of the side of the body (both sides) is the registration number printed on clear transparent tape.

I've been following these threads about strobe lights. I must admit I have a great deal of trouble following my Mavic Air by VLOS and often just let it go out of sight for a bit longer if the situation (scenery, etc.) warrant's a better shot. But I really like the idea of a flashing white bright strobe to help me follow it a longer way than my sight can do. I only want white and lightweight enough to not impede the Mavic Air, and easy to install. What do you all recommend?

View attachment 77338

How visible to you are the lights from the ground when it is above you?

When I inquired about that setup Aerial-pixel commented that it was great for anti-collision, but not so good for VLOS.

View attachment 77338

Hi
Does this not add too much additional weight to the drone?
Thanks

View attachment 77338

Hi again
I cannot find the mounting bracket you show. Can you please send me a link?
Thanks

How visible to you are the lights from the ground when it is above you?

When I inquired about that setup Aerial-pixel commented that it was great for anti-collision, but not so good for VLOS.

Not so great if viewed from directly above or below, but this applies to almost all led mounting clips. The viewing angle is important but, in my opinion, not a factor due to the relatively low flight altitudes that I fly (under 122m or 400ft) and most of my flight time is in a pattern and not directly towards or away from me. I recall seeing one that attaches to the arms and angles downward but I don't recall the source.
This mounting places 1 led unit in each 90° direction. The arm clips place 2 led units facing forward and 2 rearward so double strength front and back but not so much from side.

Last edited:
Not so great if viewed from directly above or below, but this applies to almost all led mounting clips. The viewing angle is important but, in my opinion, not a factor due to the relatively low flight altitudes that I fly (under 122m or 400ft) and most of my flight time is in a pattern and not directly towards or away from me. I recall seeing one that attaches to the arms and angles downward but I don't recall the source.
This mounting places 1 led unit in each 90° direction. The arm clips place 2 led units facing forward and 2 rearward so double strength front and back but not so much from side.
So 400ft and under the VLOS is good?

I've been following these threads about strobe lights. I must admit I have a great deal of trouble following my Mavic Air by VLOS and often just let it go out of sight for a bit longer if the situation (scenery, etc.) warrant's a better shot. But I really like the idea of a flashing white bright strobe to help me follow it a longer way than my sight can do. I only want white and lightweight enough to not impede the Mavic Air, and easy to install. What do you all recommend?
Dale, try the Scotch Lock Velcro... it’s Awesome and very light weight. Holds the lights on drone very secure. Just cut pieces of it to match the size of the light and attach 1 piece to the light, and 1 piece to the surface of the drone where you want it mounted. Works like a charm. Good luck! ?? ?

Reactions: JeffCharger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus