DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe lights

Latenite

Reactions
I'm concidering putting strobes on my MA. Fitting one arm will run about $35.00 for the mount, light, shipping, and whatnot. I'm not interested in a velcro option. White lights are the direction I'm leaning toward. However before I commit the funds, I'm curious if the FAA has any plans to mandate red/green, or any other specific color pattern, for drone operation.

Does anyone have any idea?

I'm curious if the FAA has any plans to mandate red/green, or any other specific color pattern, for drone operation
Nothing like that has been suggested. Your aircraft just needs to be visible.

Which lights are you going to use?

Am I right in thinking, the best colour to use is red led’s For brightness at dusk/dawn/night. I’ve not tried white led’s so can’t comment on that.

I can definitely see red better than green at those flying times or is it just me..

Am I right in thinking, the best colour to use is red led’s For brightness at dusk/dawn/night. I’ve not tried white led’s so can’t comment on that.

I can definitely see red better than green at those flying times or is it just me..
Generally white is the brightest. I use 2 white ARC2’s on rear arms an a a red and green on the front in aircraft fashion. Serves both easy visibility and visual orientation recognition.

Reactions: Rich55 and Porky
Generally white is the brightest. I use 2 white ARC2’s on rear arms an a a red and green on the front in aircraft fashion. Serves both easy visibility and visual orientation recognition.

The only reason I asked was I can definitely see my red Led’s Better than the green ones. White, I don’t know but I’ll take your word on that. I do like the Led clamps msinger sells though.?

The only reason I asked was I can definitely see my red Led’s Better than the green ones. White, I don’t know but I’ll take your word on that. I do like the Led clamps msinger sells though.?
They are excellent.
I use Aerial Pixel mounts and in front I like the ones that go on the landing gear, btw, no drone antennae interference noticed, even though the antennae are in the front legs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porky
They are excellent.
I use Aerial Pixel mounts and in front I like the ones that go on the landing gear, btw, no drone antennae interference noticed, even though the antennae are in the front legs.
Thanks for the mention @Thomas B Glad you like them! Our Mavic 2 mounts for the Firehouse Technology Arc can be found HERE

Reactions: PAW
During daylight hours white is by far the best seen at a distance. At dush or dawn I can see the green and red strobes (Arc-II) but they are basically washed out in brighter sunlight unless flying close by.

The FAA hasn't said anything about requiring a specific color for UAS.

Note that manned aircraft use white strobes and/or red beacons. They have done that for decades, so we can assume that it works!

(green is only used for the "navigation" on the right side, like boats)

During daylight hours white is by far the best seen at a distance. At dush or dawn I can see the green and red strobes (Arc-II) but they are basically washed out in brighter sunlight unless flying close by.
Agreed, white is my favorite for all-around flying Daytime and Night.

White seems to be the brightest color for all popular strobe light brands. Combining other colors is a must-have if you're going to use the lights for directional purposes too.

I use a white Lumecube strobe on top upfront, a red strobe on rear left, and a green strobe on rear right, providing a full 360 view.

Now, I know the following:
- White strobe only? The aircraft is facing me.
- White and red? The aircraft is going from right to left.
- White and green? The aircraft is going from left to right.
- Red and green? The aircraft is going away from me.

Part 107 prohibits the operation of an sUAS at night, which is defined as the time between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight, as published in The Air Almanac, converted to local time.

In the continental United States (CONUS), evening civil twilight is the period of sunset until 30 minutes after sunset and morning civil twilight is the period of 30 minutes prior to sunrise until sunrise. In Alaska, the definition of civil twilight differs and is described in The Air Almanac.

The Air Almanac provides tables which are used to determine sunrise and sunset at various latitudes.

If you’re flying in that 30-minute civil twilight period, your aircraft must be equipped with special anti-collision lights that are capable of being visible for at least 3 miles in all directions.

So to recap, the Part 107 rules state that you can only fly your drone during the day. And that “daylight” is from 30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset. And that if you’re flying during that 30-minute civil twilight period you need to have lights that are visible for at least 3 miles.

Thats all it say about night flying currently

Although there are no restrictions for night-time recreational flights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS