DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strong winds in flight wind 68.6km/h

• Thread starter Deleted member 109934
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109934

Lately, we had some strong winds, After flying quite a bit in those winds I figured out how to have a bit more control over the drone when it is blowy.
I decided to beat my in-flight wind speed record I hit 56km/h on two separate occasions and it seemed it was max:) I hit 68/km/h

I'm not just random flying in the crazy wind. I always take off and can see right away how the flight will be and how the drone behaves when hovering 2m off the ground since I fly over the lake I have consistent wind for the most part. I know this lake and know how wind changes by looking at the water.

I use a wind profile app to check the speed at different heights. All I'm looking for is the consistency, eg if the ground speed is 35km/h and at 100m is also 35km/h I will go and fly, I also check if the wind is increasing or decreasing across next few hours.

if I see much higher speeds a bit higher I will wait for a better day. The research starts at home. I also look at the wind direction, with MM I mainly fly places based on the wind direction, I can't just go and fly where you want, it's more like I fly where the wind speed and direction will allow me to land safely just in case of some emergency.

I always fly against the wind or with the wind, side wind is very dangerous for Mini, for some reason when strong side wind MM gets in to drift mode and you need to be quick to recover.

In strong winds, I never use RTH, since it is much harder to avoid side wind, I always start in C mode and after going at alt 10m again see how drone behaves, then P mode and once I have area scoped switching to S mode and flying only in S mode. I never fly higher than trees on the shore, and always think about them as my natural catch barrier.

1579532084222.png

I decided to beat my in-flight wind speed record I hit 56km/h on two separate occasions and it seemed it was max:) I hit 68/km/h
You are one brave chap, especially after all these flyways due to high wind!

You are one brave chap, especially after all these flyways due to high wind!

It was all controlled environment, not that I just took it to the lake and start flying it was the gradual buildup, I did few flights where wind actually took him out but then I qickly recovered. after over 40h of the flight, I start having a good feel for it, just having fun and getting hungry for the bigger drone.

Reactions: netsonic
airdata is currently using the spark profile for its MM calculations, from what I've seen it reports a higher speed.

An example, often used training regular aircraft pilots, is to consider a plane flying in a big box of air. The plane behaves the same whether the box is still or moving downwind. The only thing that's different is speed relative to the ground. For any aircraft, including a drone, distance made good will obviously be best flying directly downwind, and at it worst upwind of course.

In practice, on an "out and back" a tailwind will never makes up for the speed lost from a headwind, and a crosswind is bad in both directions. The problem is exacerbated with slower aircraft, as wind speed becomes a greater percentage of the aircraft capability. The advice given here by others is spot on - go upwind first, note the speed made good over the ground at a height adequate to avoid obstructions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura