DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Structural integrity while landing

GriffDawg

Reactions
One thing I'm worried about is the fact that the Mavic landing force is absorbed through the actual propulsion arms, as opposed to the Phantom that has a dedicated landing gear to absorb the shock. I really hope they over engineered the crap out of those joints, because they are going to take a real beating. I for one have definitely had some hard landings with my Phantom in windy conditions and I'd be pretty nervous to do that with a Mavic.

Yeah, I would think that they're pretty sturdy. This is also a bit lighter than the Phantom, so that's good news too. The smaller nature of it will also force you to land on hard ground more often though. If you don't bring along some sort of landing pad, but that kinda defeats the portability aspect of this then.

Then again, we are the guinea pigs at this point. So I guess we'll find out! Trade offs, right?

Reactions: Mavic_Man504
If you look at the gallery, it appears that the back legs don't usually contact the ground. When landing, the front two leg pegs will contact first, but the two bumpers under the main body will handle most of the force. Pretty ingenious design to take the load off of the arms.

I'm sure someone will create leg extenders/attachments to help with landing and/or elevate the Mavic for landing/takeoff on uneven surfaces like sand, gravel, etc. or high grass. Or just use a landing/takeoff pad. I just received this one: Glow Portable Reflector and will try it with my P3P soon.

I'm sure someone will create leg extenders/attachments to help with landing and/or elevate the Mavic for landing/takeoff on uneven surfaces like sand, gravel, etc. or high grass. Or just use a landing/takeoff pad. I just received this one: Glow Portable Reflector and will try it with my P3P soon.

I have a small folding grey-card I will be using, unfold from less than 6" diameter to 2' diameter.

I have a small folding grey-card I will be using, unfold from less than 6" diameter to 2' diameter.

I had thought about using a smaller diameter (like 22" or smaller), but I wanted it large enough to prevent sand/dirt from flying into props/motors. I think the longest length from tip to tip on the props is around 23" on the Mavic, but I could be wrong. Sounds like yours will work great as well.

I had thought about using a smaller diameter (like 22" or smaller), but I wanted it large enough to prevent sand/dirt from flying into props/motors. I think the longest length from tip to tip on the props is around 23" on the Mavic, but I could be wrong. Sounds like yours will work great as well.

It may or may not be large enough, dunno yet. I am more worried about the rear, lower props and the ground/grass than the front. Also, it makes a nice high contrast (mine is split color White, Grey, Black) on one side spot for it to home in on for RTH landings.

Wow....this thing (Glow Portable Reflector) worked like a champ...both on sand/dirt and relatively tall grass.

upload_2016-10-14_12-29-49.jpeg
upload_2016-10-14_12-30-16.jpeg

upload_2016-10-14_12-30-40.jpeg
upload_2016-10-14_12-30-57.jpeg

I'm just wondering what to draw on the white side of this reflector....maybe a big "X" or "H"???

Make the X or H thick enough, it will work well for being high contrast as a RTH landing site.

Forgot to mention how it folds nicely into it's own bag which then goes into my backpack. Can't wait to try this on the Mavic Pro and test its' precision landing.

IMG_3825.JPG

Reactions: auen1
My earlier post here takes you to the disc. It's $7. They also have a smaller version for $4.

Would not go smaller, actually. I just ordered this larger one just in case mine isnt large enough.

Getting good at hand catching seems to be the best option. Guaranteed no dust or sand in the Mavic and you don't have to carry a larger bag around.

Thats cheap, if its meant for photography. I saw a reflector disc here in Norway , 32", where the cheapest was at 70 USD.

It is probably not the best for photography, but it may be good for a landing pad. I do agree that getting good at hand catching is good, but if the environment is right, something like the disc will work well for a pad for the RTH function.

I'd put something asymmetrical on that reflector for the Mav's camera...not that it's likely to that far off, but an 'H' or 'X' leave a couple possible orientation options as far as a machine vision camera goes

Reactions: Biggle
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+