DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuck in Custom Unlock Geo Zone

dtb24

Reactions
Hi All,

So I am about a week in with the drone and so far everything has been solid until tonight.

I put in a request to unlock an Altitude Zone that had a max ceiling of 150m so that I could take photos of a building in the area.The unlock process was easy and straightforward and I was able to create the zone that made up a few blocks. It is worth noting that my takeoff spot was not in the custom unlock zone - so maybe that is where I went wrong.

Anyway, I was able to import the temporary unlock smoothly in the app and I was on my way. The documentation, online literature, and even the app were pretty clear that if I failed to return to proper altitude (under 150m) when exiting the zone - it could lead to some unexpected RTH behavior.

When I finished gathering my shots, I proceeded to make my decent to the proper altitude to return home, but I could not get out of the custom unlock zone. I could adjust my altitude and move freely within the zone, but could not figure out a way to leave it. Even initiating a RTH it just stayed in the zone like it hit a wall. manually in sport mode did not work either. I tried to turn off the license unlock in the app but it said I could not do it mid-flight, I lowered my altitude well below the 150m ceiling and still could not leave. Fortunately I was just a couple of blocks away and was able to safely land in an alley and drove to scoop it up as the battery got low. Also, so glad I listened to the advice of drone pilots to not mess around with battery life. If I cut it close in this situation my panic level would have been through the roof and my MA2 on top of one.

But has anyone experienced anything like this before? Was there a particular step in the procedures that was missed?

Thanks

The geo zone lock has some bugs, I had it where I could not launch because no check box marker was showing, so I started the props manually without the app and then launched it simeltaneously and i was able to take off

The geo zone lock has some bugs, I had it where I could not launch because no check box marker was showing, so I started the props manually without the app and then launched it simeltaneously and i was able to take off
I’ll definitely keep that in mind for future flights and will make sure I’m close enough in the event things go wonky. Hopefully they can sort those issues out soon

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851