DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuck in rain

T|2eV0|2..::

Reactions
Hello all long story short my mavic pro got stuck on top of a football stadium above the stands in the lights they cannot retrieve it for me until tomorrow only problem is it's been raining pretty heavy for the last 2 hours probably going to rain for the rest of the night I don't know what position the aircraft is in but I'm pretty sure the battery is dead. If I do get it back tomorrow is that the end of my mavic? or can it get wet as long as it's not turned on? Any tips on what I should do would be greatly appreciated thank you very much for your time

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Hello all long story short my mavic pro got stuck on top of a football stadium above the stands in the lights they cannot retrieve it for me until tomorrow only problem is it's been raining pretty heavy for the last 2 hours probably going to rain for the rest of the night I don't know what position the aircraft is in but I'm pretty sure the battery is dead. If I do get it back tomorrow is that the end of my mavic? or can it get wet as long as it's not turned on? Any tips on what I should do would be greatly appreciated thank you very much for your time

The Drone itself should be fine, however the battery will most likely be comprimised and if it still works you will be tempted to fly with it but dont, that will be a risk not worth taking.

let it dry on its own for 2/3 days in a dry environment , near the fire place is good before attempting to put in a Brand New non contaminated battery.

Did the battery run out over the Stadium ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Coal

Last edited:

I think you'll be OK. Here's what happened to me:

Last edited:
I have an MP and have taken it apart a few times. There is some water resilience but not much (zero water resilience on the motors), and none if submerged or fast moving rain blows directly on it for an extended period. When the drone crashes, or rolls/pitches to a significant degree, the motors will cut off which means the battery can have a significant amount remaining amount of energy, up to a week or more, depending on how low it was when crashed.

When you get it back, pull the battery and put it in the sun but not between 10AM and 2PM (I live in Dallas). Give it about four hours of that, and then put the MP in a thin sock and place it in a Home Depot type bucket filled with uncooked rice (I'm serious). Bury the drone in the rice and leave the bucket on your carpet by a sunny window for a day. This will dry it completely. Wipe off any rice dust and unless the water shorted out some boards, you should be good to go. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Rockycat
Neil Reid Has a good point, Bury the drone in uncooked rice and leave by a sunny window for a day or so.

This is standard practice for phones that have fallen into water.

Reactions: Chook
Neil Reid Has a good point, Bury the drone in uncooked rice and leave by a sunny window for a day or so.

This is standard practice for phones that have fallen into water.
It's frequently recommended but it's not a good idea and this myth needs to stop:

You'd be hard pressed to find any experienced professional in the repair industry that doesn't roll their eyes when they hear the word "rice." We see the sad result of phones/devices that have been carefully placed in the Mahatma bag with fingers crossed.

It's frequently recommended but it's not a good idea and this myth needs to stop:

Just reading that article, once I found the right link . . .

Try again, it's there but link is munged up somehow . . .

Still no good, just click on the Search for Dont Put Your Device in Rice. Heres Why in existing articles, then click the wiki link a few down.

The best thing is to use the dry dessicant packages. They can be re-used by placing in an oven @ low heat for a couple of hours and good as new.

Yes, Rice does absorb water/moisture, but way to slow, and not as effective as the dessicant...

The best thing is to use the dry dessicant packages. They can be re-used by placing in an oven @ low heat for a couple of hours and good as new.

Yes, Rice does absorb water/moisture, but way to slow, and not as effective as the dessicant...
Try putting the drone in the hot water cupboard if you have one it's the driest place in the house and the heat should get rid of the moisture inside the drone.

OK Johnmcl7 I could be totally wrong, I haven't tested it out myself, only going by all the “I used rice to dry my phone” posted on the internet.

Lesson one, don't give out advice if you don't know what you are talking about :rolleyes:
Be nice. Obviously he sincerely thought it was good advice. Many of us might have offered similar advice.

^^^ this

Either go to a gun shop or art supply store ASAP and buy desiccant, or order it online:

Dry-Packs 750 Gram Silica Gel Canister Dehumidifier - Moisture Indicating Amazon.com: Dry-Packs 750 Gram Silica Gel Canister Dehumidifier - Moisture Indicating: Home & Kitchen

If you don't have a good amount of a commercial moisture absorber like Arm & Hammer Moisture & odor or Damp Rid then submerging in rice is the next best thing. Put it in a plastic bag filled with rice, close the bag, dosen't need to be airtight & set in a warm place.

How about an update .

How about an update .
Attacking someone for making a suggestion is exactly why I just follow this forum and don't post on it. I wasn't being rude or anything to anybody. All I did was making a suggestion I was given by a friend who ran into a random rainstorm on the way back from his flight during returning to the take off point. He said it worked for him. So as for the gun crazy? I won't say anything else.

• Wow
Attacking someone for making a suggestion is exactly why I just follow this forum and don't post on it. I wasn't being rude or anything to anybody. All I did was making a suggestion I was given by a friend who ran into a random rainstorm on the way back from his flight during returning to the take off point. He said it worked for him. So as for the gun crazy? I won't say anything else.
I havn't a clue what you are talking about but feel free to message me and tell me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose