DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid Me!

BillyDrone

Reactions
It was a beautiful sunny day here in Minnesota so I decided to take my drone out....
I flew my drone all over beautiful Minnesota..
At the end of the day when I got home I put my SD card in to my computer to look at the beautiful video I took only to find out I forgot to hit record when I had my drone in the air..

Oh well.....I had fun flying anyway.

You’re not the only one to do that. Generally it only happens once unless your a slow learner, I’ve done a couple of times now, fortunately not on a job. ?

Reactions: dozzn and Rchawks
Well, at least you were not doing a paid job... I've done that before. Once while doing a paid job... luckily I was able to repeat the flight and get what I needed, but there is always that OMG moment when you realize what you missed. There will be times when you do not get a second chance to shoot something.

The case you describe is not uncommon. It can be costly in both time lost and money lost. In critical shoots, rather than waiting to check and QA your work AFTER leaving the site, go back to your vehicle, connect your drone to your laptop via the USB cable, and see if your video and photo files are on your SD card. DO NOT WAIT IF YOUR MISSION WAS WORTH YOUR TIME AND MONEY. Waiting is only worth it if your are making wine.
Happy and safe flying to you!

I have a question, do people hit record and continue to record during the entire flight? I have been trying to make short videos (2 minutes) on subjects. To make editing easier, I position the drone, hit record, capture my shot and then stop recording. Rise, lather, repeat. I very rarely record a flight from take-off to landing.

I have a question, do people hit record and continue to record during the entire flight? I have been trying to make short videos (2 minutes) on subjects. To make editing easier, I position the drone, hit record, capture my shot and then stop recording. Rise, lather, repeat. I very rarely record a flight from take-off to landing.
That’s how I do it. Then edit in post processing.

That’s how I do it. Then edit in post processing.
If I have gone to the trouble of preparing for a mission and that mission’s purpose is to capture video, record is on from launch to landing. You betcha! Storage space on SD card is never a problem and without a crystal ball, I can’t predict what I may miss if I were to stop recording in flight. Just a thought.

I did the same thing yesterday! Thought, wow, those are some great shots, gonna make a nice video clip. Got home, took out the card...Vurt da Furk! Nothing! Remembering things like hit the record button sometimes gets a little difficult for us more seasoned folk!

I check the exposure on the ground..it wont be correct..and start the video and just leave it on thru the entire flight. You'll finally screw it up so many times that you should start catching it but there are no guarantees :confused:

Reactions: RMuntan
It was a beautiful sunny day here in Minnesota so I decided to take my drone out....
I flew my drone all over beautiful Minnesota..
At the end of the day when I got home I put my SD card in to my computer to look at the beautiful video I took only to find out I forgot to hit record when I had my drone in the air..

Oh well.....I had fun flying anyway.

What part of MN, Billy?

Is there not a setting in the App that starts recording on take-off?

I start recording when I have my drone in place for the beginning shot. Unless I think I may runout of three batteries (which I never do), I keep the recording going, or switch to camera, or between camera and video. I'd rather edit it out in post than to forget to start recording. And HELL YES I have forgotten to start the recording, like almost everyone has done. So frustrating, that I never did it again.

Dale
Miami

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BRUNO.CARDOSO