DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stupid Question - sunlight & seeing your iPhone or iPad screen

Joe4flight

Reactions
I know we’ve all experienced the issue of seeing the video output on our DJI GO 4 APP’s in bright sunlight when our drones are airborne. I know I have! What are the simple or purchased solutions folks have found and used to address this universal problem? Cutting out cardboard visors is one solution I’ve thought of, but there’s gotta be something better.

Hey Joe4.... there are a few solutions available at the DJI store or other sites like Amazon that have different kinds of sun shields ... I had a crystal sky monitor with sun shield that worked pretty good but very pricy... when the smart controller came out (for Mavic 2’s) (even pricier)I opted for it and I find it to be easier faster(set up) and plenty bright ... although there are certain situations where the sun is hitting the screen just so that it’s a little harder to see but much better than phone or tablet !

If you're able to stand in the shade, you won't need to attach anything to the remote controller to block the sunlight from hitting the screen. If you aren't able to fly in the shade, you could use a sun shade like one of these:

PGYTECH Phone Sun Shade

Notable features:
  • Fully surrounds the mobile phone
  • Phone is held into the bottom of the sun shade with suction cups
  • Bottom of the sun shade flips down for easy access to the phone screen
  • Folds up for easy storage
  • See it in action here
More details can be found here on Amazon.

PGYTECH Sun Shade

Notable features:
  • Sizes available to fit most mobile devices
  • Slides onto the sides of the mobile device
  • Bottom of the sun shade is open for easy access to the mobile device screen
  • See it in action here

Freewell Phone Sun Shade

Notable features:
  • Phone straps onto the bottom of the sun shade
  • Easily access the mobile phone screen from the slot on the bottom of the sun shade
  • Made of a durable nylon material
  • Connect the included strap to the sides to hang around your neck
  • See it in action here

Yx Phone Sun Shade

Notable features:
  • Slides onto the sides of the phone
  • Bottom of the sun shade is open for easy access to the phone screen
  • Exterior is made of a high-end PU leather

DJI Hood

Notable features:
  • Slides onto remote controller antennas
  • Mobile device is fully accessible since the shade is mounted above the remote controller
  • See it in action here
More details can be found here on Amazon or here in the DJI Store.

Freewell iPad Mini Sun Shade

Notable features:
  • iPad Mini straps onto the bottom of the sun shade
  • Easily access the iPad Mini screen from the slot on the bottom of the sun shade
  • Made of a durable nylon material
  • Connect the included strap to the sides to hang around your neck
  • See it in action here

The CrystalSky is the best solution I was able to find. No regrets, love it.
I agree 100%. The Crystalsky works great. I was doing a job with a good friend on a very sunny afternoon, I was flying with my iPad Mini 4, he had a crystalsky. I was having a lot of trouble seeing, his screen was easy to see. When I got home, I got online and ordered mine and it's fantastic.

Reactions: Bobvt
^^ what they say.
Wide brimmed hat, stand in shade, use a hoodie etc

Not a stupid question at all. I notice on DLOG setting the image is so faded it is impossible to see in sunlight. I made my own shade out of a plastic milk bottle and some black cloth, but have now ordered one of the recommendations stemming from your post. I wonder how one reaches the phone to adjust settings with some of the box type shades like the Freewell

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Not a stupid question at all. I notice on DLOG setting the image is so faded it is impossible to see in sunlight. I made my own shade out of a plastic milk bottle and some black cloth, but have now ordered one of the recommendations stemming from your post. I wonder how one reaches the phone to adjust settings with some of the box type shades like the Freewell
I must use a box shade, and I use a Hoodman. You reach the screen through a flapped slot in the front of the box about an inch above the screen level. Takes some getting used to.
The Hoodman was expensive ($60) but worth it for the ease of my vision and the ability to walk around in and out of the shade. I had made a shade out of black construction paper before buying the Hoodman, but it was not durable enough, though it was very effective. If I were more able with glueguns and Exacto knives, I would have stayed with the home made model.

I could as generally I could give a @#$! what others think as long as it's effective for me.

Hey Joe4.... there are a few solutions available at the DJI store or other sites like Amazon that have different kinds of sun shields ... I had a crystal sky monitor with sun shield that worked pretty good but very pricy... when the smart controller came out (for Mavic 2’s) (even pricier)I opted for it and I find it to be easier faster(set up) and plenty bright ... although there are certain situations where the sun is hitting the screen just so that it’s a little harder to see but much better than phone or tablet !
I just got my drone in January , platinum pro and started using my Galaxy tab A . Had all kinds of trouble seeing the screen outside , so I ordered the screen shield and it helped some . Next thing I did was make a cover to go over the shield, cutting out the eye opening and inserting the lenses out of an old pair of glasses . I cut an old dog clipper case in half and used it to make the cover . Sounds crazy but it works great.

Attachments

• 15561110584657357152125177917489.jpg
    15561110584657357152125177917489.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
I just got my drone in January , platinum pro and started using my Galaxy tab A . Had all kinds of trouble seeing the screen outside , so I ordered the screen shield and it helped some . Next thing I did was make a cover to go over the shield, cutting out the eye opening and inserting the lenses out of an old pair of glasses . I cut an old dog clipper case in half and used it to make the cover . Sounds crazy but it works great.

What, no duct tape ? Reminds me of the scene in Apollo 13 where they have to make a Air scrubber with things they had on hand....[emoji1303]

I was looking for a sun shade for my Mavic Pro Controller that would shade both the controller screen and my cell phone. I didn't see any that I liked so I decided to try making my own. I made it out of a cardboard gift box (a box that you would put a piece of clothing in). The hardest part was figuring out the right size to make it. Once that was done' I made a template, so that if I want to make another one, it will only take a few minutes to cut it out. I spray painted it flat black and added some Velcro to adjust the angle of the top and also to keep it closed. When closed, it fits perfectly into my Landing Pad bag.The cardboard is light, so there is no stress on the antennas and the signal strength doesn't seem to be affected. Also, it's not covering the air vent on the controller. I've only used it a few times and it's helped a lot.

.1 Shade Opened.jpg2 Shade Closed.jpg3 Shade Angled Down.jpg4 Shade Angled Up.jpg5 Controller Front.jpg6 Controller Side.jpg7 Controller Back.jpg8 Landing Pad.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 7.49.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-28 at 7.49.47 AM.png
    337 KB · Views: 2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7