DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuttering video playback

JustPlainJay

Reactions
I'm getting a slight stutter in video playback. This is playback from files whether from my phone or downloaded from the sd card to my computer and played there. I've filmed in 4k and 2.7 as well as in .mov and mp4. It looks like one of those surveillance camera videos. Cars on the roads jump, jump, jump. This is with the card that comes with the MP. Maybe an upgraded Sandisk card with faster transfer rates will help? Anyone else seen this problem?

I'm getting a slight stutter in video playback. This is playback from files whether from my phone or downloaded from the sd card to my computer and played there. I've filmed in 4k and 2.7 as well as in .mov and mp4. It looks like one of those surveillance camera videos. Cars on the roads jump, jump, jump. This is with the card that comes with the MP. Maybe an upgraded Sandisk card with faster transfer rates will help? Anyone else seen this problem?

I have, not sure what kind of issue we're looking at. I'm at the hands-on-hips, "that's weird" phase still.

What kind of phone are you using? 4k has a very high bitrate - relative to what most phones and computers normally use. If either is not powerful enough, you may need an upgrade.

What you can do is upload a small 4k clip to youtube and watch it after it's finished processing. View it in a down-scaled resolution (i.e. 1080). If it's still stuttering, then it's recorded that way. If it plays clear, you need new hardware (or maybe you have missing codecs?)...

Reactions: Isone
I'm running an iPhone 7 plus. Other than a faster SD card than what came with it I'll check the program playing it back even though it stutters in the same spots. That's what made me think bit rate problems at recording from sd card or heaven forbid from the drone.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I suppose you could have a problematic SD card that came with the MP. That's probably the easiest thing to switch out - especially if you have extras laying around. FWIW, I'm using some old SanDisk 64GB class 10 cards. They're not the fastest available, but they work great using all the highest bit rate formats on the MP.

I had a similar issue and had a friend who is experienced in video look at it.
Seems it was the program I was using to play the video. Changed to VLC media player and the problem went away.

I suppose you could have a problematic SD card that came with the MP. That's probably the easiest thing to switch out - especially if you have extras laying around. FWIW, I'm using some old SanDisk 64GB class 10 cards. They're not the fastest available, but they work great using all the highest bit rate formats on the MP.
Sure enough, I had the same problem and it was the NEW Sandisk Extreme Card

Sure enough, I had the same problem and it was the NEW Sandisk Extreme Card

I need to revise that statement. I have three that I rotate through, and one of them I get constant write speed errors on the MP while recording. The other two work without hiccup. All three are identical make/model/size.

Reactions: TheRadioStar
I'm totally new to drone photography. Had same problem and concern, thought it may be playback problems with digesting 4k - 2.7 vids. Sure enough when I rendered in Premiere pro it was all steady. Think your play back software just can't keep up with footage. Import into whatever video editing program you use and look again.

Get the GoPro video editor. Open the file. Set the playback resolution to low. If it's not jumpy it's your devices and need upgrading. I had the same issue on my MacBook and I upgraded it to an Alienware i7 with GTX970 and I can play 4k without flicker.

I'm having a similar problem. I'm brand new to video editing and am starting to think my 8 year old PC just isn't up to the task. I pulled my first videos off the mavic today (2.7k shot in both MOV and MP4) and tried to play them in Windows Media Player with no joy. After downloading the codecs it said I needed an updated video card or something like that. Next I tried pulling the clips up in QuickTime and they sort of played, but it was extremely choppy...looked more like a slideshow. Gave up and tried downloading the GoPro video editor and that gave me some sort of error message as well. I then remembered that I have a copy of Adobe Premiere Pro so I tried importing the videos into that program as well but they wouldn't play there, either.

Does this sound like a hardware issue? I don't even think I have a dedicated video card, pretty sure it's an onboard type arrangement. If I need to upgrade my video card, how does a guy know which one to get? A quick Google search tells me I could spend as much as a mortgage payment on one if I wanted to...but that's the last thing I want to do right now. All I want to do is be able to view and hopefully edit my 2.7k videos.

Editing to add details on my setup, I'm sure many of you will get a chuckle out of this:
- Intel Core 2 duo CPU
- 2.93 GHz
- 6 GB RAM
- onboard video: Intel G33/G31 express chipset

Is this even worth trying to upgrade, or would I be better off starting with something substantially newer?

Last edited:
Likely not up to the task, I am afraid. Those who edit 2.7K or 4K video tend to have i7 processors, and 32GB+ RAM. SSD and GPU improvements have been massive in past 8 years.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose