DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stuttery video when turning

Zoran

Reactions
Hello there..has anyone had any issues with the recorded video looking stuttery while turning left or right ?

Can you post a sample video here so we can see what you're describing?

Hello there..has anyone had any issues with the recorded video looking stuttery while turning left or right ?
Normally caused by too high a frame rate; fixed by using ND filters. Like @msinger suggested, post a sample to help eliminate guesses like mine.

Do you get this in Tripod mode when filming ??

I have tried several sd cards and they all say too slow for 4k, just tried the 2.7k and getting pretty good looking video from that and I have an old laptop for playback and I do not think it can keep up with the 4k.

Reactions: Swampwalker
Yes I have. Can’t figure out why. Bought new usb cable , checked gimbal recalibrated , re centered. I just don’t know why it happens. Anyone have suggestions. I even have gone so far to thinking need new gimbal vibration plate.

Whats yr shutter speed and what was the yaw rate (possibly moot since u were in tripod mode)? We’re u yawing the drone or smudging the screen to yaw the gimbal? Was it gusty to calm?

I've noticed blurr on yaws on playback, but the individual frames look good. I've read it has to do with digital shutter. Could also be what we use for playback.

4k 30FPS - you HAVE TO use a Shutter speed of 60 or it will be choppy. Try just putting the camera on Auto.

DanMan32, agree on what we use for playback, I have lots of videos on Vimeo; on my computer (fairly recent iMac with lots of RAM and a fast chip) I see stepping but the same video on my 2 year old iPad Pro 9.7 is smooth. Don’t quite get it. Astro, there’s no “have to” in video capture. You are talking about the 180 shutter rule of thumb to get ciné like video in 60hz countries, most of the world is 50hz & videographers use 24 or 25FPS & 1/50 sec shutter speed for ciné like but there’s lots of ways to use shutter speed get the look you want or to capture high speed action.

DanMan32, agree on what we use for playback, I have lots of videos on Vimeo; on my computer (fairly recent iMac with lots of RAM and a fast chip) I see stepping but the same video on my 2 year old iPad Pro 9.7 is smooth. Don’t quite get it. Astro, there’s no “have to” in video capture. You are talking about the 180 shutter rule of thumb to get ciné like video in 60hz countries, most of the world is 50hz & videographers use 24 or 25FPS & 1/50 sec shutter speed for ciné like but there’s lots of ways to use shutter speed get the look you want or to capture high speed action.

I agree, but clearly these people are starting out so a good simple rule of thumb is a good starting point so you aren't accidentally way off causing yourself issues.

Reactions: Carb63
Totally agree, been there myself at one time.

I used to have problems playing back even 1080p drone video on my PC, getting hesitation. When I replaced my graphics card, it was better.
But the blurr I see now is not the same as hesitation.

To minimize the stutter without smearing individual frames with ND filters, drop your Yaw Expo to 10%, make any turns very slowly (tripod mode also helps) and change your video resolution from 4K @30fps to 2.7K @60fps, as the higher frame rate will fill in the stutter gaps. Stutter will also be more apparent flying at high speed and when flying closer to the ground, where the subject's movement across the frame is faster. Stutter is also increased while using any zoom on the M2Z, and by shooting in HQ crop mode on the M2P, so avoid the 2x optical zoom, and shoot in FOV instead of HQ on the M2P. It's all a compromise. When using any Zoom or HQ mode, keep the frame as static as possible.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird