Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestion for a new M2E modular accessory

RCdancer

Approved Vendor
Reactions
Site
www.dronesar.info
The design of the M2E raises the possibility of creating new modular accessories for the extended port that expands the drone's capabilities even further. How about a powerful FLIR camera with higher resolution than the existing one on the M2ED? That would provide thermal capability to the M2E and an even more powerful thermal sensor for the M2ED. Yes, it would be expensive, but worth it to many. Rather than jury-rigging a Bosun sensor on the Mavic Pro, how about diverting attention to developing a FLIR modular accessory for the Mavic Enterprise?

I would like to get a gopro
mount that attaches to the existing mount holes on top, anyone making that yet? Figured that might be first 3rd party part made before any actual other attachments are developed. Gopro important because of need to record more than 30fps sometimes.

how about diverting attention to developing a FLIR modular accessory for the Mavic Enterprise?
Good idea.
I have one too: who is able to produce a USB to PWM interface. Then you attach and control a DUO Pro, VUE Pro or Tau camera underneath the Mavic and you are good to go ... ;-)

Reactions: Taetrix
The extended port opens up all kinds of possibilities. It's similar to when Apple first introduced the APP store for the iphone. If someone comes up with the right "hot" accessory, they can make significant money.

It depends on what the port supports. So far DJI haven't released any info on this, but it might not support a video feed. If it did I suspect that they would have released a FLIR module instead of releasing the M2ED. Also a higher quality thermal imager won't happen on this generation of Mavic as it would affect M210 sales.

I don't think that DJI will officially allow 3rd party addons like with the M210 and Skyport etc... but I would like to see what else they come up with. I think a spotlight with a servo so you can change the angle of the lights in flight would be a good start.

The design of the M2E raises the possibility of creating new modular accessories for the extended port that expands the drone's capabilities even further. How about a powerful FLIR camera with higher resolution than the existing one on the M2ED? That would provide thermal capability to the M2E and an even more powerful thermal sensor for the M2ED. Yes, it would be expensive, but worth it to many. Rather than jury-rigging a Bosun sensor on the Mavic Pro, how about diverting attention to developing a FLIR modular accessory for the Mavic Enterprise?

Naw, no add ons. Put the guts of a Boson 640 into the dual gimbal instead of a Lepton and make it a better integrated unit altogether. Also, make it water resistant for SAR work.

Naw, no add ons. Put the guts of a Boson 640 into the dual gimbal instead of a Lepton and make it a better integrated unit altogether. Also, make it water resistant for SAR work.
Won't fit. We've looked into it.

Literally no way to get a Boson 640 onto a Mavic 2 gimbal along with a visible light camera, unfortunately. 320 is good enough though, but wouldn't fit into the Dual housing. It's what DJI should have done, but refer to my comment about M210 sales. Also a Boson equipped Mavic would be at least $1000 extra.

Won't fit. We've looked into it.

Literally no way to get a Boson 640 onto a Mavic 2 gimbal along with a visible light camera, unfortunately. 320 is good enough though, but wouldn't fit into the Dual housing. It's what DJI should have done, but refer to my comment about M210 sales. Also a Boson equipped Mavic would be at least $1000 extra.

Ah, you are right. It really should have been something moveable in a gimbal though, and somerhing like a Boson, so yes, an entirely new gimbal would be needed.

As for more durable, some others here are also working on better water resistance.

Ah, you are right. It really should have been something moveable in a gimbal though, and somerhing like a Boson, so yes, an entirely new gimbal would be needed.

As for more durable, some others here are also working on better water resistance.

Well, making a Mavic water resistant to the point that it could reliably fly in rain is pretty much impossible. There is no practical way to protect the gimbal unless someone develops parts to seal in the motors etc, which I suppose is possible. You'd then have to have some sort of seal for the front arm rotation mechanisms and seal all the vision sensor apertures. DJI do this on the M200/Wind series with glue (Threebond 1530B to be exact). You'd also have to seal all the joints on the aircraft with glue or some other sealant. Most importantly, you'd need to seal the battery area and there is no practical way to do this except some sort of cover that you fit afterwards, which is a bit of faff but could be done with a purpose made silicone moulding.

I don't know if you've seen my thread (not updated it in a while) but we've developed a way to get a separate video feed into a Mavic 2, so we are working on this (picture below) with a Mavic 2 Zoom. You keep the original Zoom camera and can switch to a Boson 320 in flight. Video feed is shown through the app, no extra parts. Even the lower res 320 Boson is fantastic quality for the size, so you have a max detection distance of around 250m vs 40m or so on the Dual. Right now we're quite far through development so we expect to have a fully fledged demonstrable prototype in the next few weeks.

This thread, amongst others, discusses the reasons why DJI went with the Lepton sensor on the Dual: Mavic 2 Flir - An Analysis

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-03-01 at 09.23.52.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-03-01 at 09.23.52.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: altaic and AMann
I’m surprised no one has torn the speaker accessory down. It’s only $90, and could give a lot of incite as to the accessory port’s workings since it uses data in addition to power.

Of course, tearing the m2e down would also be very interesting, but I understand why people might not want to. I’d love to have a good look in my m2p, but I just can’t bring myself to crack it open (also have care refresh, so I’d be probably voiding multiple warranties).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS