DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestion to DJI for hand catching drone

marklyn

Reactions
I've always thought it would be a good consideration for DJI to design a future drone such that there would be two "kill" type buttons on each side designed such that hand catching it and pressing the buttons at the same time would kill/stop the drone.
This would make it easy to hand catch on a boat or any situation where landing is not easy (tall grass, obstacles, etc.) A person could turn on sport mode (disabling obstacle sensors), lower it to a comfortable reach and grab underneath pressing both buttons at the same time to power off the drone. (or any other kill button design they think of).

Reactions: mereflyer
Yeah, wouldn't be a bad idea, but I guess, further buttons/switches mean more possible points of failure compared to a relatively small group of people hand catching in extreme difficulties. Technically I think it's an easy task for DJI. Given that, I guess for the majority it's too dangerous and nothing DJI could aim for.

But I certainly wouldn't mind such a button (but I am perfectly fine so far, but I've not had the task to land on a moving object on sea).

For now, if you rapidly turn your drone after catching more than (what was it) 90°, it will shut off instantly as it would be considered an emergency.

But I wouldn't recommend this regularly considering stress on the gimble.

Given liability laws, I'm not sure DJI, or any other drone manufacturer, wants to either encourage or sanction hand-catching. It is, after all, pretty darned hazardous. You can easily Google

drone +"cuts" blade OR propeller

and get some pretty gruesome pictures.

I agree it is more risky to hand catch the drone but there are obviously enough situations where people have a need to do such that there is usually discussion threads or videos on it, so it's obviously happening on a regular basis. One could wear a lightweight glove that you keep in your fly kit. DJI could just add another paragraph to their already extensive terms about the danger of hand catching, wearing gloves, they aren't liable if you do and only in certain situations, etc. I'd also like to think that if someone has $2k to invest in a drone and accessories that they are more than likely adults, the same adults should be able to drive a 3500 lb automobile and not kill themselves or others on a good day. Of course there are those people too and a few of them could own drones and not use common sense. Anyway, that's my opinion. I'm sure there are a few lawyer minded people here who will disagree.

I get you buddy, the button does not imply the need to hand catch, it's just a very handy extra for all of us who regularly do so (in "normal" situations to avoid dust, no flat or inaccessible area, avoid carrying a landing pad etc.). But financially or from a point of marketing it's nothing DJI could mostly attract more people to their products albeit quite useful for some or extend the field of operation.

I've always thought it would be a good consideration for DJI to design a future drone such that there would be two "kill" type buttons on each side designed such that hand catching it and pressing the buttons at the same time would kill/stop the drone.
This would make it easy to hand catch on a boat or any situation where landing is not easy (tall grass, obstacles, etc.) A person could turn on sport mode (disabling obstacle sensors), lower it to a comfortable reach and grab underneath pressing both buttons at the same time to power off the drone. (or any other kill button design they think of).

Not sure saw this but we will be releasing the New Lunar Landing Pad , makes hand catching a little bit easier.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Maker of the Lunar Landing Pad.
Coal

Well I know a guy who owns a boat and likes to take his Mavic with him sailing but always has a very difficult time catching it when he sails to different places, yet he loves to take it with him. I forgot about the dust aspect. I was on vacation a couple of months ago and flew from lots of beaches and tried to always find a sliver of rock or some place where I could land or take off that didn't cause sand to go flying. From a marketing standpoint, you're probably right, from a non-marketed practical stand point, those of us who would use such a feature might appreciate it and use it responsibly.

Not sure saw this but we will be releasing the New Lunar Landing Pad , makes hand catching a little bit easier.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain
Maker of the Lunar Landing Pad.
Coal

That would be a great alternative and a very nifty idea. My only issue with it is when I travel I like everything in my Mavic Case. Makes it easier in airports too when everything is in one place. A 'catching glove' would fit in my case but that portable landing pad wouldn't (unless it was designed thinner and foldable into quarters?). Anyway, that was neat!
Where does one get on a list to be notified when that is released?

Reactions: mereflyer
@marklyn
Yeah, I guess, if you do it all on your own, it is cumbersome. Already for 2 people it's not easy to properly coordinate if the sea is not quiet.

That would be a great alternative and a very nifty idea. My only issue with it is when I travel I like everything in my Mavic Case. Makes it easier in airports too when everything is in one place. A 'catching glove' would fit in my case but that portable landing pad wouldn't (unless it was designed thinner and foldable into quarters?). Anyway, that was neat!
Where does one get on a list to be notified when that is released?

[email protected]
Pre order : List.

Official Link

Last edited:
Sorry... that has to be the worse idea I've read in awhile. However, if you have firm grip, simply flip the Mavic upside down. Problem solved. No need for DJI to spend money trying to add more hardware for a few people out of the millions to use in order to promote hand catching which is a risk.

I have extended Landing Gear Mounted and use the rear landing leg to hand catch. It works very well to keep ones digits clear of the spinning props.

One thing I forgot to mention to the OP when I posted earlier: I don't think this feature is even needed because, having retrieved the drone a few times with my hand, all you do is put your hand underneath, pull down on the stick, watch the drone bounce up when you initially put your hand underneath but, if you keep the stick pointing downward, it just settles into your hand. I'm not sure any new feature is needed.

You just need to get used to that one small upward movement which, when I've done this, is actually useful because it is almost like a "trial landing" and you can re-position yourself if you find the angle awkward, or you want to reconsider your position with respect to the wind.

Sorry... that has to be the worse idea I've read in awhile. However, if you have firm grip, simply flip the Mavic upside down. Problem solved. No need for DJI to spend money trying to add more hardware for a few people out of the millions to use in order to promote hand catching which is a risk.
Hey, I've got more worse ideas if you'd like to hear them. Catching it and flipping it over seems to sure make it scream like a stuck pig.

I've hand launched/caught every flight with my MVPP for 1.5 years now (250-300 flights?), many from a moving boat in the Gulf Stream, most out in the woods. Never had an issue, I personally feel hand catching is safer for the UAS as you don't have to worry about kicked up debris from the lift generated by the props.

The boat is more complex and requires a certain level of comfort before attempting, especially if you're in a moving body of water (wind/current). What we would do is have the boat operator move up to the UAS while it's in a hover (sensors turned off), I would make a few micro flight adjustments with the UAS until it's within grasping distance then snag, I'd hold down on the stick, and let it power down. The common mistake made was the boat operator would cease to maintain position and the UAS would fight to maintain GPS position resulting in the motors going nuts, solution is to just hang on tight and wait for the power down. Really not a big deal and doesn't harm the motors, those things are revving up all the time in the sky.

Back story; I remember our first attempt I tried to fly the UAS to the boat and hand catch, this is incredibly challenging and the risk goes up (unless you're anchored, but even then you might be swinging). Since the UAS only looks to maintain GPS position in a hover, the best practice was to fly the UAS 30-50yds (depending on boat size, wind, current, etc) from the boat and make the boat come to the UAS at 1-2kts. Once you were within 5-10' you make micro adjustments with the UAS and hand catch, all in a matter of seconds. If it looked like we were moving to fast or something felt unsafe I just climbed the UAS 50' really quick, reset and try again. Got easier each time we did it.

You just need to get used to that one small upward movement which, when I've done this, is actually useful because it is almost like a "trial landing" and you can re-position yourself if you find the angle awkward, or you want to reconsider your position with respect to the wind.

Disable vision sensors for hand catching, all of them and this will stop.

Last edited:

Here is the bottom line... DJI will NEVER, EVER, NEVER do anything to sanction or even imply you can hand catch a drone of theirs. The moment they do that they open themselves up to litigation when someone messes up and injures themselves.

Here is the bottom line... DJI will NEVER, EVER, NEVER do anything to sanction or even imply you can hand catch a drone of theirs. The moment they do that they open themselves up to litigation when someone messes up and injures themselves.
I'm not entirely convinced of that...

4th post down on this thread. I think if it's such a big no-no that DJI Natalia (on DJI's official forum) would have said the opposite of what she stated.

6th post down on this thread; another DJI "super" moderator seems to be ok with it too.

8th post down on this thread has yet another DJI moderator (DJI Gamora) seemingly approving of hand catching/launching.

These are the same DJI moderators who tow the company line when you want to use Litchi to fly but warn you about 3rd party apps and no warranty protection, or warn users about other things they see as infringements, hazards, etc.

Hey, I've got more worse ideas if you'd like to hear them. Catching it and flipping it over seems to sure make it scream like a stuck pig.
For as long as it takes to flip over, which is about 1/2 a second. It does not even have enough time to really wind up the props so it's not that loud. Plenty of videos on this.

For as long as it takes to flip over, which is about 1/2 a second. It does not even have enough time to really wind up the props so it's not that loud. Plenty of videos on this.
I'll have to try that again. Last time I tried to hand catch it the props went to high speed and it wasn't happy :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ