DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Suggestions on where to do first maiden flight in Calgary

f13dfx

Reactions
Anyone here from Calgary that can suggest where I can do my first test flight? I’ve got my Basic Certification and my Mavic 2 Pro registered already. Here til Friday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
Whatever the local suggest as a location, I would look for a large, open, flat oval / public park, where you're allowed to fly, (if a real maiden flight, new to drones) put it in beginner mode, and you should be fine if some basic YouTube instructional videos have been watched / noted.

Some local input should come for you, hopefully locals will know the areas that are not banned to fly by councils, as well as any NFZs.
You probably have an app on where you can fly to TC rules, maybe check with City of Calgary if there is a designated drone park somewhere ?

I just google TC info, and noted Canada has the 2nd busiest airspace after the US ! Interesting.

Google maps is also great for finding places, just google them then and check if any bylaws exist.
Go early morning before other people / crowds come, later afternoons can also still be busy with walkers etc.

Enjoy your maiden flight !

Whatever the local suggest as a location, I would look for a large, open, flat oval / public park, where you're allowed to fly, (if a real maiden flight, new to drones) put it in beginner mode, and you should be fine if some basic YouTube instructional videos have been watched / noted.

Some local input should come for you, hopefully locals will know the areas that are not banned to fly by councils, as well as any NFZs.
You probably have an app on where you can fly to TC rules, maybe check with City of Calgary if there is a designated drone park somewhere ?

I just google TC info, and noted Canada has the 2nd busiest airspace after the US ! Interesting.

Google maps is also great for finding places, just google them then and check if any bylaws exist.
Go early morning before other people / crowds come, later afternoons can also still be busy with walkers etc.

Enjoy your maiden flight !

Thank you for your suggestions. A local drone reseller shared a site where I could do my maiden flight! Just absolutely amazed at the current technology! With more experience, I will probably go to a school for the “Advanced” certification. [emoji1360]

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Thank you for your suggestions. A local drone reseller shared a site where I could do my maiden flight! Just absolutely amazed at the current technology! With more experience, I will probably go to a school for the “Advanced” certification. [emoji1360]

I'd like to highlight ... CHECK BYLAWS ... A lot of them will say you can't operate a motor vehicle in the park. Well is a drone a motor vehicle? regardless what you think - do you want to argue this with a judge if you get a ticket? Basically, I would check the bylaws for what they say about motor vehicles as well as remote aircraft . Lots of areas in vancouver have had laws updated because the media has framed drone users as being horrible people so they have banned them from parks and people will call the cops on you in a second. So know your bylaws. If your unsure, if you can drive your car to the park, take off from the roof of your car or something - that way you know your in an area that motor vehicles are allowed. Then while its hovering, you can walk into the park. Your just not allowed to take off from the parks ground.

Hopefully laws get updated so they are less things we have to guess about.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada