DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Summer temp and flying

Just posted this on another thread.
According to DJI
The batteries should be used at temperatures between -10° and 40°C. Use of batteries in environments above 50°C can lead to fire or explosion. Using batteries below -10°C will severely reduce performance, as they will not meet normal use requirements.

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
apart from the drone ,and the batteries and the device becoming to hot in very bright sunlight ,there is one thing that a lot of people forget sometimes, and that is to make sure that we as the pilot protect ourselves from the intense sun while we are flying ,it is very easy to become dehidrated and sun burnt i always wear a hat and drink plenty of water when i am out flying in the summer its easy to forget how long you are standing in the sun when you are enjoying the flying

apart from the drone ,and the batteries and the device becoming to hot in very bright sunlight ,there is one thing that a lot of people forget sometimes, and that is to make sure that we as the pilot protect ourselves from the intense sun while we are flying ,it is very easy to become dehidrated and sun burnt i always wear a hat and drink plenty of water when i am out flying in the summer its easy to forget how long you are standing in the sun when you are enjoying the flying
A great consideration, especially seeing as I came from the Spark so my flights were roughly 10 minutes each, and I had just two batteries, so not long enough to broil/bake myself so much. As for the hat, been protecting whats left of my hair and scalp for the last 5 years, seems it all moved to my back... lol (TMI?)

Reactions: old man mavic
I'm a redhead, so always aware of the sun. Bad storm here 2 nights ago and just got in from looking for covers to the lawnmowers that blew away (just noticed them gone from watching my drone vid) what insane heat. Walked into a field and back. My hats off to all of you who work outside in the heat. It would do me in short order. One of the reasons I wondered about the heat and flying tonight (not).

Just posted this on another thread.
According to DJI
The batteries should be used at temperatures between -10° and 40°C. Use of batteries in environments above 50°C can lead to fire or explosion. Using batteries below -10°C will severely reduce performance, as they will not meet normal use requirements.
I have hesitated to fly when the temp is above 95° (35°C) because air density decreases as the temperature rises. Reading the above and DJI literature, I will fly today up to 100 degrees (37.8C), Above that it will be just too hot for me to be comfortable.
Btw,,, For those not familiar with Centigrade/Celsius and Fahrenheit, -10°C is +14°F and 40°C is 104°F.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Looking at Airdata the hottest battery temp I've ever had out of a thousand flights was 179 degrees. that was in June and the battery had been charged 65 times at that point. The outside temperature was only 85 degrees. Eight minutes of flight time and the drone landed with 26 % battery time left. Top speed 42mph. Mavic Air 1. That battery failed in flight at about 99 charges even though it was completely flat..no swelling. I have flown in much hotter outside temperatures but most of that flight was in sport mode.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
So, we're talking air temp here I assume but when that sun is unencumbered by clouds, in other words, a blue sky day, doesn't that increase the temp of the battery as the sun beats down on the drone? I flew the other day when the air temp was in the mid 80's (F) but it was sunny, sunny, sunny. When I landed and I grabbed the drone, it was toasty warm, almost hot. No battery problems. They are new but I assumed it was the sun heating it up. I wasn't flying fast so I don't think I got much cooling from the movement of the drone. Just wondering.

At least most dji drones are a light color, which helps a little bit from the sun. Black would be a terrible drone color in my opinion.

Looking at Airdata the hottest battery temp I've ever had out of a thousand flights was 179 degrees. that was in June and the battery had been charged 65 times at that point. The outside temperature was only 85 degrees. Eight minutes of flight time and the drone landed with 26 % battery time left. Top speed 42mph. Mavic Air 1. That battery failed in flight at about 99 charges even though it was completely flat..no swelling. I have flown in much hotter outside temperatures but most of that flight was in sport mode.
I totally misread this and thought you said the outside temperature was 179 degrees! My next question was going to be what the real estate and job market were like on Mercury? ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest