DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sun reflections from blades make effects in video?

ob1quixote

Reactions
Did my first videos of action, specifically dual sport motorcycles riding on a course through a large cotton field. Sadly, not confident in uploading or posting the video, as the event was for paid participants. and I am a member of the club, and on the governing board. Would appear to my noob self to be potential problem since I do not have a 107 license. The club positions are not paid positions, but pretty sure it would be hard for me to share and not be seen in violation.

Anyways, the video was shot in the morning, and I have some odd horizontal flicker in the video, only in certain directions of flight and orientation to the rising sun. Would this be some form of reflection of light off the blades? Not to be confused with actually seeing blade tips as the gimbal adjusts during more aggressive turns, which I also saw in my videos.

Possibly, but... Unfortunately, without seeing the effect you describe, no analysis beyond pure speculation can be offered. Maybe get permission from the organization to post a brief outtake illustrating the problem

As Thomas said the video will help with giving thoughts on the problem.
You can’t upload video to this site directly, needs to be posted to YouTube, Vimeo, or similar site, then the shareable link posted here.

It is most likely going to be propeller shadows, as described in this thread a short while ago . . .
(Off to get link and add here)
Edit Mavic 2 Pro prop flare

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
Not worried about permission from the club, more worried about violating 107! Want no issues with the FAA!

What I am seeing are slightly darker bands in the video across the bottom 1/3rd of the screen, but only in certain angles to the sun.

I also see the actual blades in the upper corners of the video during aggressive maneuvers, I can fix that in the edit or just flying more smoothly.

I understand if the verbal explanation isnt enough. I have been looking for videos from other members that are similar so I can learn from their solution(s).

If you were not being paid and the video is not of a commercial nature for profit, you wouldn't be in violation,

I have been looking for videos from other members that are similar so I can learn from their solution(s).

See the video and posts in the link in my post 3.
Your further explanation makes me think it will certainly be prop shadows, and there is no real solution to fix this except to avoid videoing in that orientation to the sun.
Usually shooting towards the sun is not ideal for video or photos anyway, so maybe aim to avoid it whenever possible.
Or, if the shadows appear during flight, change position to the subject, more angle to subject, or more angle so gimbal can be aimed more downward, etc.
There could be post editing solutions as per the linked post, also a lens hood might help in some cases, also noted in the other post.

If you were not being paid and the video is not of a commercial nature for profit, you wouldn't be in violation,

I dont know...while there is no payment per se, there are benefits of being a member of the club, like recreational trips for the members that are paid for by the club. The funds for such a trip come from our dual sport event.

Surely the video could be seen as advertising for the event?

Perhaps I am being overly concerned with the 107 rule?

Wrong subforum for this, I know. I will continue to look for example videos from other members!

Mavic South Oz, your posted video did not replicate what I saw in my video.

Someone else posted that video, personally I’ve never seen them in my footage, as I just video / photograph with the sun behind the drone in general.
Habit I guess.

You’ll have to host a clip of you problem somewhere then and post the link.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000