DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunglasses

mark conners

Reactions
What type of sunglasses do you wear when you are flying? I'm having trouble reading ny Ipad with the pair I have now. I end up flying with my reqular glasses but then having problems seeing my drone when I wear them because of the sun. And I hate clip on sunglasses.

Try and find a pair that is non polarized.

Polarized lenses make reading the screen difficult at times.

I tend not to fly with sunglasses at all. I find that unless there is extreme reflection in my face that general sun glasses use get my eyes used to them and make them more sensitive to light, thus requiring them when my naked eyes can handle most bright situations without strain. My regular glasses have UV treatment so I'm not worried about UV damage, but a cornea that is more constricted typically has sharper vision because of the aperture of the iris being smaller. I do tend to wear a hat with a brim to keep which helps a lot. But if you have to have sunglasses, as MA2 317 pointed out, non polarized sun glasses are better.

Last edited:
What type of sunglasses do you wear when you are flying? I'm having trouble reading ny Ipad with the pair I have now. I end up flying with my reqular glasses but then having problems seeing my drone when I wear them because of the sun. And I hate clip on sunglasses.
Hi mark,
since a couple of months I use antireflex film for my smartphone and I am very satisfied with the results! No more reflexes and I can see what the display shows! I also use the antireflex for the screens of my Hero7 and other cameras!
Txe antireflex films you can buy for every type of smart and iPhones.
cheers and happy new year, Paul
here one example:

This discussion has arisen before, in regards to those of us who need reading glasses (e.g.: presbyopia) due to age over 40 or 50 years old. I am a retired ophthalmologist, so I know a bit about this. Still, the subject or glasses is a mess with me! It really depends on a lot of factors.

(1)Normal vision (Emmetropia) Firstly, do you have any prescription for your eyes? (we call it a refractive error). If not, and you are not over reading glasses age (40-50 years old or so), you should be able to read the screen without reading glasses. If you have normal (no glasses needed) vision, you should also be able to see the drone without glasses. You would only need sunglasses for the glare, if the drone is in the sunlight.

(2) MYOPIA. If you are nearsighted (can't see things far away but see books without trouble) you would not need glasses for your screen but you would need them for the drone, and for sun, glare.

(3) HYPEROPIA (farsighted) If you are far-sighted (can see far away better than close up), you'll need glasses for both.

Still, in all, every case is different. I find myself balancing two pairs of glasses! (sunglasses and reading half-glasses) . Mostly, I'll keep the polarized Oakley sunglasses on top of my hat with a brim (baseball cap) to avoid glare. When I look straight up, sometimes, the hat and the glasses fall off! I can still make out my 9 1/2 inch iPad screen without reading glasses, even though reading glasses would help me better.

Each of us has to do whatever we are most comfortable with. There actually is no correct answer!

Hope this helps.

Dale
Miami

Last edited:
I rarely wear mine when flying but if the sun is too intense I wear a pair of flip up blue blockers.

Lol, Dale, I’m an active OD in NY. If you’re an emmetrope, consider Maui Jim Readers. Polarized with great lens options and a few different adds are available. If you really want to nail it, you can get oakleys made with a progressive Rx.

Btw my wife did an externship in Miami years back. Aran Eye. How long are you retired?

Lol, Dale, I’m an active OD in NY. If you’re an emmetrope, consider Maui Jim Readers. Polarized with great lens options and a few different adds are available. If you really want to nail it, you can get oakleys made with a progressive Rx.
For Speedbird1- Alberto Aran,MD was my competitor for years. Then I retired and worked for him for 2 years and gave him my charts. He is a terrific surgeon.He is a great friend of optometry, and uses NOVA OD students in his office. I am 82 and retired age 66. I worked for Alberto (seeing his post ops) for 2 years after retirement.

I am no longer an emmetrope (normal vision). I had cataract/IOL surgery OU (both eyes) with IOL's corrected RE for distance and LE for near, and have sort of pseudophakic (implants) monovision. The pictures was made worse by a tennis ball injury to one eye causing some induced IOL displacement and resultant cylinder (astigmatism) so the Maui Jims won't do the trick for me. I have single vision readers, but can see my iPad without glasses for droning, and I have Oakley wrap around prescription sunglasses (for the cylinder) for trying to find my drone in the sunlight. So I get by this way, juggling single vision and distance glasses. It is always a PITA (pain in the a..).

Reactions: speedbird_1
If you have bifocals - buy a pair of clip-on sunshades and cut out the lower portion. Works great.

la monde at petite! Sorry to hear about the injury, just making sure you knew all your options.

im new to drones and just saw this thread, piqued my interest. Perhaps those DJI goggles with insert would be agin upgrade.

best wishes in 21

Or clip on flip ups.
"More than one way to skin a cat". Trifocal sunglasses devoted to drone distances, e.g.:
Top level- distance vision- e.g.: infinity (past 20 feet)
Mid level- (Intermediate) measured for the drone screen distance about 20-21 inches
Reading section (bottom) measured for reading close like 16-17 inches (sorry to my centimeter friends for the Imperial measurements)

Dale Davis,M.D., F.A.C.S.
retired ophthalmologist

"More than one way to skin a cat". Trifocal sunglasses devoted to drone distances, e.g.:
Top level- distance vision- e.g.: infinity (past 20 feet)
Mid level- (Intermediate) measured for the drone screen distance about 20-21 inches
Reading section (bottom) measured for reading close like 16-17 inches (sorry to my centimeter friends for the Imperial measurements)

Dale Davis,M.D., F.A.C.S.
retired ophthalmologist
I use them on my progressive prescription glasses.

I had cataract surgery on both eyes a number of years ago and fixed my distance vision, so my SC is not readable without the progressives, but I can see the AC up to my extreme VLOS.

I chose not to have one eye fixed for near and the other for distance. I had tried that approach when I used to wear contact lenses but my brain could never adjust for the difference in lenses.

With the implanted lenses after cataract surgery, it is typically too bright on a sunny day, hence the sunglasses clip on flip up....if at any point I don't need the sunglasses, just flip them up.

I think you made a wise decision not to go with multifocal IOL (Intraocular lens). I also had bilateral cataract surgery but I did the right eye first for distance and then the left eye about a year later, for intermediate, with some ability to read with the left eye, like iPhone or ski trail map on a chair lift without digging for readers. My wife opted for one eye distance, and one eye reading. She absolutely did not want to wear reading glasses and elected to have mono vision. Every patient has their own needs and preferences. But for the sake of this Mavic Pilots forum, I would say what I already wrote above for those with particular needs for distance, controller, and reading.

Dale

Reactions: speedbird_1
I think you made a wise decision not to go with multifocal IOL (Intraocular lens). I also had bilateral cataract surgery but I did the right eye first for distance and then the left eye about a year later, for intermediate, with some ability to read with the left eye, like iPhone or ski trail map on a chair lift without digging for readers. My wife opted for one eye distance, and one eye reading. She absolutely did not want to wear reading glasses and elected to have mono vision. Every patient has their own needs and preferences. But for the sake of this Mavic Pilots forum, I would say what I already wrote above for those with particular needs for distance, controller, and reading.

Dale
Thx Dale, and your prior post was indeed well written.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain_Rick