DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Sunrise Hyperlapse Thursday 5-24-2022

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Just sending for comments- up this am at 5:30 for 6:31 AM sunrise. Plan for sunrise hyperlapse with M3.

25 minute shoot
3 second intervals on Video/hyperlapse mode
500 frames
F/2.8 ISO 100
Exposure on Auto- 1/30th second to 1/500th second
Processed in Premiere Pro, with manual color grading plus Film Poets LUTs and warp stabilization.

Check out “5-26-2022-Sunrise hyperlapse.mp4” from Dale Davis,M.D. on Vimeo.
By the way, video rendering -no motion blur checked off

I am also attaching a still image. Please note that without the use of the Masking Tool. the foreground would have remained black throughout the video due to the high dynamic range. The masking tool allowed me to adjust the sky and the foreground separately. 5-26-2022 Destacada Sunrise-drone view.jpg

All comments welcomed

Last edited:
This is beautiful Dale . . .

I am also attaching a still image. Please note that without the use of the Masking Tool. the foreground would have rained black throughout the video due to high dynamic range. The masking tool allowed me to addict the sky and the foreground separately.
Yes!! I would think the Auto Exposure setting helped too. adjusting as the light increased. Nicely done Sir.

Dale, glad to see you got the bugs out, now this lapse looks very smooth and though it is my personal taste - I like the look of a sunrise where the foreground is dark and lightens as the sun rises, as I think if gives a sense of the coming light. Well done.

Dale, glad to see you got the bugs out, now this lapse looks very smooth and though it is my personal taste - I like the look of a sunrise where the foreground is dark and lightens as the sun rises, as I think if gives a sense of the coming light. Well done.
It is important for you to note that this effect of having the foreground "develop"during the shot is due to the use of LRLightroom software which allows me to keyframe the first and the last frames and the software then interpolates the exposure and transitions from farm one to frame 500. Without LR Lightroom, the foreground would haw remained darkened through to the end. Day to night and night to day timelapses, called the "Holy Grail" have been made a lot easier with this software.

www.LRTimelapse.com

Dale

Dale, I still operate the M2P and have found the small vertical movements during timelapse capture cause foreground objects (like a building or tall tree) to wiggle and warp when the timelapse is stabilized on the horizon. Questions;
1 - How much vertical movement do you get with the M3?
2 - Do you deliberately avoid any prominent foreground objects?
3 - I wasn't aware of the keyframing functions in Lightroom, it seems you could do all the processing in Lightroom. But you said you used Premier Pro, is that just to cobble together the video?

Just sending for comments- up this am at 5:30 for 6:31 AM sunrise. Plan for sunrise hyperlapse with M3.

25 minute shoot
3 second intervals on Video/hyperlapse mode
500 frames
F/2.8 ISO 100
Exposure on Auto- 1/30th second to 1/500th second
Processed in Premiere Pro, with manual color grading plus Film Poets LUTs and warp stabilization.

Check out “5-26-2022-Sunrise hyperlapse.mp4” from Dale Davis,M.D. on Vimeo.
By the way, video rendering -no motion blur checked off

I am also attaching a still image. Please note that without the use of the Masking Tool. the foreground would have remained black throughout the video due to the high dynamic range. The masking tool allowed me to adjust the sky and the foreground separately. View attachment 148868

All comments welcomed

Awesome :)

Dale, I still operate the M2P and have found the small vertical movements during timelapse capture cause foreground objects (like a building or tall tree) to wiggle and warp when the timelapse is stabilized on the horizon. Questions;
1 - How much vertical movement do you get with the M3?
2 - Do you deliberately avoid any prominent foreground objects?
3 - I wasn't aware of the keyframing functions in Lightroom, it seems you could do all the processing in Lightroom. But you said you used Premier Pro, is that just to cobble together the video?
Here is my reply
1- I think it pretty much stayed at the height I set it at, but it tended to be blowed sideways 1-2 feet, and yawed to the left about a 1/2 of the screen on the windy day. On this day, there was little wind, the drift was no more than 1/1/2 to 2 feet during the shoot.

2-I do not avoid anything below me

3-The key framing is in the software, LRTimelapse, not Lightroom. But Lightroom is used with the LRTimelapse software.

You can set a key frame for the first shot (dark foreground), the middle shot- and then the last shot where you can use the masking tool to develop the foreground nicely. See how nicely that comes out in the demo I attached. It can only be done with masking tool of Adobe Lightroom which used along with the LRTimelapse . For a better explanation, go to www.LRTimelapse.com
Will be happy to answer any questions.

Dale
Miami

thanks Dale. I did this a year ago (M2P), I used LRTimelapse and the several différant stabilizing methods in DaVinci Resolve without much success. I assume the problem is the drone getting slightly different perspectives on the oratory and the trees. Nowhere near as successful as your clip.

thanks Dale. I did this a year ago (M2P), I used LRTimelapse and the several différant stabilizing methods in DaVinci Resolve without much success. I assume the problem is the drone getting slightly different perspectives on the oratory and the trees. Nowhere near as successful as your clip.
You're welcome Ralph. I've had a years long struggle getting a timelapse/hyperlapse with the Mavic 2 Pro. I even sent the bird into DJI in Texas to be sure everything was ok and used up a DJI refresh for no reason at all. When I got the M2P back nothing was changed. I finally gave up trying timelapses with the M2P. So I was super excited to find that I was finally able to get a smooth clip with the aid of warp stabilization in Premiere with my new M3.

Your clip of the moving shadow with the sunrise (and same with sunset) is a common thing that I photograph. but it is usually with the tripod. I have several in the Chile film I submitted recently.

Dale

Nice job Dale. Pity it couldn't go longer with the sun rising higher in the sky but I assume that was a battery issue.

Nice job Dale. Pity it couldn't go longer with the sun rising higher in the sky but I assume that was a battery issue.
Thanks Dave:

It ran the battery down to warning -land now! I extended it by 50 frames just to get this. It was 550 exposures at 3 second intervals. Luckily it was right above my head the entire time so I could land it in 20 seconds. Thank goodness for the longer battery life of the M3!

Dale

Excellent job - need to look into the LRTimelapse. Thanks for the tip.

Excellent job - need to look into the LRTimelapse. Thanks for the tip.
Sarimento1-
LRTimelapse is an amazing software! I highly recommend it. There is a free version. Lots of easy videos to watch, and the learning curve is medium.
The images were all taken from my directly above my driveway- I live on the bay side of Old Cutler Road, but I am only 5 minutes from Matheson Park.

Dale
Miami

Sarimento1-
LRTimelapse is an amazing software! I highly recommend it. There is a free version. Lots of easy videos to watch, and the learning curve is medium.
The images were all taken from my directly above my driveway- I live on the bay side of Old Cutler Road, but I am only 5 minutes from Matheson Park.

Dale
Miami

thx!
nice area!
our sister at one time had a lot nearby in coco plum but later decided to move north.
i think they regret now.

anyway, another poster was asking about LRT; i've been using it for a couple years, but haven't invested time to upgrade to latest version.

so, what is your verdict on the M3?

thx!
nice area!
our sister at one time had a lot nearby in coco plum but later decided to move north.
i think they regret now.

anyway, another poster was asking about LRT; i've been using it for a couple years, but haven't invested time to upgrade to latest version.

so, what is your verdict on the M3?
I am loving the M3
Best pictures and videos and longer battery, a big plus for more time on the battery
I did not go for latest LRTIMELAPSE upgrade (6.0)
My 5.8 version has all I will ever need.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ENJOYBIKE